well now I'm royally screwed :(

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arbaal

01-15-2013

Yeah its the power supply you need somethink around 700w for saftey and make sure its 80+ gold, also make sure you plug yhe monitor in to the back of the graphics card not the old computer slot

Samurai047

01-15-2013

1. Try turning on your PC with the video card taken out. If it turns on fine after that, it means either the graphics card is faulty or the PSU might not be giving enough power to it.
if no luck...
2. make sure all relevant PSU connections are in properly. That is, the 24-pin motherboard cable, the 4 or 8 pin CPU cable and the two 6-pin graphics card (PCIe cable) cable are all connected.

orakio

01-15-2013

A general rule of powering anything is don't exceed 80% of the maximum capacity. The reason for this is power surges or simultaneous maximum consumption can cause the system to require more power than the Power Supply provides and cause the PSU to short.

In this case JUST your graphics card requires 450W of a 520W power supply, which is 86% of it's maximum threshold BEFORE your processor+hard drives + fans/etc. I would definitely look at upgrading your PSU to minimum 650W, maybe even a 700W PSU.

IS14b4c934b49e2140947ac

01-15-2013

Ah the joy of computer hardware.

I am so glad my PC posted first time both when first built and upgrading GPU.

Quote:
So, try to turn on the PC with the GPU pulled out. If it beeps and starts, then you know the GPU is faulty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myyr View Post
Quoting this and bolding it cause it's been said like 12 times so far and OP keeps ignoring it instead listening to the morons saying LOL PSU IS FRIED RETURN IT.

Do this first. Before anything else. Always start with the easiest/fastest things first. You're going to feel like a fool if you go buy a new PSU plug it all up and the same thing happens when you try to turn it on.
Do that first, like these guys said.

Anyways, buy well known PSU's from Manufactures such as Antec, Corsair and Cooler Master.

No name PSU's often lead to a dodgy demise. Also don't switch from 230(UK, I'm a Brit) to 115(USA) volts like I did (at least whilst there is still capacitance) or you will hear a loud bang, proceed to need a new pair of boxers/pants and a new PSU/PC (PSU smoke, don't breath this).

As has been stated before it's generally noted that your PSU wattage will probably need to be GFX Card recommended + 15% rounded up to the nearest 50. For instance I have a 560ti, 500W recommended so I can get along easily on a 600W Power Supply (I use a 700W since I wanted to be super safe, potentially using it on other builds down the road)

You on the other hand should be fine with a 550W PSU but honestly the 520W should be working fine for now, you should only be seeing problems later down the road when the real output wattage comes down from degradation of the parts inside the PSU leading to more frequent blue screens and eventual death of said PSU.

For now I would go get a replacement PSU from the place you bought it and see if that wants to work. If it doesn't then go buy a better made PSU from people like Antec from a dedicated computer store since best buy probably sold you their own made PSU or something.

Good Luck! (Pic relevent to post issues when doing PC hardware stuffs.)

Ragebeard Manric

01-15-2013

PSU is pretty small.

You have to factor in all the other power outlets in your computer as well, while you might have a big enough PSU for the card you might be overloading it due to peripherals.

I have a 750w with a smaller card than you do because I have a number of case fans and other heat sink related stuff as well as several hard drives (even your RAM takes power, although is is pretty minute) that takes up quite a bit of power so all that stuff included I was looking at somewhere around 600~ minimum supply to run the system. Then you want to buffer it a little bit as mentioned above for surges and also if you ever want to put anything else in your case in the future. I'm pretty sure Newegg has a PSU calculator that you can use to factor in your hard drives, memory, disk drives, and all that **** with your video card to figure out a rough estimate of how much power your system is using.

Also, make sure you have a reliable PSU. Personally, I like Corsair, but there are other good manufactures too.

Jack of Fury

01-15-2013

UPDATE <<----

So I listened to you very smart guys and did what you said xD I took it apart, tried to start it without the gfx card

AND IT STARTED

Now I was pretty bummed out at this point

Then I put the card back in and IT WORKED!? so now I was like WTFFFFFYOO

Then I thought back to what was happened and what you guys said and I decided I would go on a whim and get a new PSU
I took it back to bestbuy and the lady there was really nice and I put like 60 bucks more because I saw there was a ...

CORSAIR GS700w for sale, last one too

So I got that one because I read a few of you mention how badass it is

Put it in when I got home, had a few trouble because some of the connections weren't fitting in properly but I got it in and it wasn't working!

I was trying to start the psu and it wasn't starting at all, luckily I read some more and found out it needs to be connected to the mobo to start in the first place

I checked the connections to the mobo and pushed them in better and tighter a bit, and it started!

Now it seems to be working this far, haven't played any games yet but I'm pretty happy I can at least use my computer.

It seems the 520w was too small or just faulty overall. The brand was a Dynex DX-520WPS, which I'll be staying away from now lol.

So far so good, thank you all for helping me, wouldn't have done it without you! x)

COMPUTER NOOB --> SUCCESSFUL

RiotDerivative

Data Scientist

01-16-2013
2 of 2 Riot Posts

I am glad you got it working. Usually when really weird things happen, it is a combination of little things that cause the problem.

I remember when I was a teenager and computer parts were a lot more expensive (and not as good). I would save money to buy cool stuff and then it was faulty, or got damaged while installing or somehow fried. It was the most maddening and saddening feeling.

SLRMercedes

01-16-2013

I like derivatives

IS14b4c934b49e2140947ac

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Fury View Post
UPDATE <<----

So I listened to you very smart guys and did what you said xD I took it apart, tried to start it without the gfx card

AND IT STARTED

Now I was pretty bummed out at this point

Then I put the card back in and IT WORKED!? so now I was like WTFFFFFYOO

Then I thought back to what was happened and what you guys said and I decided I would go on a whim and get a new PSU
I took it back to bestbuy and the lady there was really nice and I put like 60 bucks more because I saw there was a ...

CORSAIR GS700w for sale, last one too

So I got that one because I read a few of you mention how badass it is

Put it in when I got home, had a few trouble because some of the connections weren't fitting in properly but I got it in and it wasn't working!

I was trying to start the psu and it wasn't starting at all, luckily I read some more and found out it needs to be connected to the mobo to start in the first place

I checked the connections to the mobo and pushed them in better and tighter a bit, and it started!

Now it seems to be working this far, haven't played any games yet but I'm pretty happy I can at least use my computer.

It seems the 520w was too small or just faulty overall. The brand was a Dynex DX-520WPS, which I'll be staying away from now lol.

So far so good, thank you all for helping me, wouldn't have done it without you! x)

COMPUTER NOOB --> SUCCESSFUL
Sounds good man, never heard of Dynex. Probably for a good reason too.

Larias

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

01-16-2013

Congrats Jack.