@Riot: Why does the new league system hide our Elo/MMR from us?

First Riot Post
12345678 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AsaGohanDesuYo

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryedan View Post
It's because the granularity of the numbers doesn't really mean that much. Someone 30 Elo below you doesn't exactly perform "30 Elo worse" than you. The reality is, you tend to fluctuate in rating, so at any given point there's a large pool of people roughly as skilled as you. Now we simply declare that pool openly, while still relying on the very granular metrics (behind the scenes) to give you guys the best matches we can.

Getting tied up in the specific number doesn't seem to give any positives, except in the highest points of the ladder (which we've addressed).
No one ever complained about it, why does it matter now? The idiots who claim they are better because they are 30 elo higher are still idiots. Why should we let the small majority affect the big majority? What if I run over someone with a car, do you think the government should put a ban on all the automobiles? Yeah, I don't think so. Yes, the granularity of the numbers don't matter but it is very practical for LoL users.

Talisid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaen View Post
Not when you have a league/division. That's your "I'm ranked and this is approximately where I am".

Elo is used as a 'prediction of who will win'. League/Division placement is "This is my rating in the game".
Isn't Riot usually against needless complexity? This new system really doesn't add anything to the game just hides the actual mechanics.

Talisid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-15-2013

One final bump for the people who realize that this change doesn't actually do anything, it just hides your rating to make people feel better.

But apparently Riot is going to go through with it anyway, no matter how pointless it is.

Miserabilia

01-15-2013

Oh cool, a second draft mode.

Ryedan

Visual Designer

01-15-2013
4 of 6 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainB85 View Post
Ryedan! Can you answer this?...
Unfortunately, I can't answer that one - I'll see if Yegg can shed some light (if he hasn't already elsewhere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf00 View Post
I think one of the biggest reasons people don't play ranked is the toxic community that does...
We have lots of user surveys and data that point to many reasons some people prefer not to play ranked. Now, it's entirely possible that behavior like that contributes to people STOPPING ranked play, but it's not the biggest reason people don't want to even try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamvert View Post
Even if there is the new divisions, I wish they could at least show us the hidden matchmaking values along side our division and stuff.
I'll mention it to Yegg, but I'm fairly certain it was a conscious decision (rather than "well, this has to be sacrificed for the system to work"). I know there were a lot of people who were happy that we hid "low" rankings from public profiles while leaving the private value shown only to the Summoner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisid View Post
One final bump for the people who realize that this change doesn't actually do anything, it just hides your rating to make people feel better.
Not to misrepresent the new system, but a change that does NOTHING but make people feel better seems like an awesome change. Players who want to see their specific standings can still scout their entire league (heck, it'll even try to get your friends in the same league), while players with a budding interest in playing ranked get a more streamlined progression system without all the archaic tables and shifting rating thresholds.

I know the current system is comfy, but it's also very clunky - Do you know what Elo you have to achieve to get Platinum on the Korean server? How about Gold on EU-West? Not many NA players do - it's specific to each server. However, with this new system it's easy to tell what you must do to achieve higher ranks.

Noxe Out

Recruiter

01-15-2013

"The only constant is change." Get used to things changing guys, it happens.

-AILD

Fynall

01-15-2013

The fact that once you reach a tier you can never drop down makes me really upset.

Xite91

01-15-2013

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...3#post33519733

also have you seen how many people cry about how they're in "elo hell"
it's been proven that a lot of people CANT in fact handle how the elo system works

i honestly just feel like this is gonna come back to bite riot in the ass, but thats just me

bob000

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryedan View Post

Not to misrepresent the new system, but a change that does NOTHING but make people feel better seems like an awesome change. Players who want to see their specific standings can still scout their entire league (heck, it'll even try to get your friends in the same league), while players with a budding interest in playing ranked get a more streamlined progression system without all the archaic tables and shifting rating thresholds.

The change is not costless. I for one, enjoy having and objective measure of my progress. The tier system is not just more granular; as it is moved by different factors than Elo, it will quickly be impossible to approximate one's Elo via tier.

Niqhtmare x

01-15-2013

i like having a visible number to see
i guess in time, ill get used to the new system, but it seems unnecessarily complicated to me right now

also, this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynall View Post
The fact that once you reach a tier you can never drop down makes me really upset.

12345678 ... 10