Double IP first game reset timer.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ramza

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stexe View Post
I used to be of the opinion that resetting at midnight (or some specific time) was best (you can probably find very old threads where I talked about it). However, I feel now that the current system is better overall.

The only advantage of re-setting at a specific time is to proc both FWotD bonuses back to back and then not play for a day. That's beneficial if you can play at that specific time and not for the rest of the day. However, most people would not be able to use that tactic to get FWotD bonuses easier. Therefore, the current system is much more flexible and allows greater freedom in deciding when you want to get your FWotD bonus.
That's really the only advantage you can see?

The ENTIRE reason I have 500 bot wins is that I have been doing a bot game in ~15 minutes every night I get home for my FWOTD for almost 2 years. The reason? Because I know I'll get it 100% and maintain the timer at the same point of the day.

What happens if I get home at 10 PM from work, log into league, and play 8 games in a row with players but get all losses because of horrid coincidence? Then I finally win a game 4 hours later. Oh boy, now when I get home the next night I have to wait 2 hours before I will have a chance at the win bonus. What if I then lose 4 games again in a row, and once again it's delayed until 2 AM?

Here's another example. Last week was Thanksgiving, and I drove across the state to see my family and didn't get a chance to sit down and play a bot game until 4+ hours past my first win timer being up. These hours were "wasted" and for the next two days I had to try and win a game as close as possible to 22 hours to cycle the timer back to when I normally get home from work.

Being tied to have to win "around" the same time every day is a terrible system. If you reset the timer once a day (1 AM pacific like the tribunal would be great) then people who log in at the same time every day STILL GET THE SAME BENEFIT. And people who can log in at variable times, or oversleep, or have to work late one day, etc wouldn't be getting screwed with losing multiple first wins.

It stops people from feeling like they "have" to log in at the same time every day to play and get a win. It stops people who can't log in at the same time every day from being screwed. It lets people play games relaxed not caring if they lose their first 4 or 5 games as long as they win once before the timer resets.

How is it "much more flexible" to force me to log in exactly every 20-24 hours if I want to keep my bonus at any reasonable time? It would be far more flexible to allow someone to win once per day regardless of when he gets home. Not everyone works a 40 hour M-F same hour job like me, plenty of people change shifts. And even my time gets messed up if I have errands or have to go out or change plans.

The only, literally ONLY "downside" to resetting once per day is that someone could try to stack wins and play two games back to back right around the reset to effectively get two first wins per 48 hours instead. If this is the way they want to play league, why does it matter to anyone else? They've gotten two wins in two days, and if they just won after the reset they won't be getting one again for another day (two if they repeat this plan).

The other argument for "but every 22 hours gives you more bonus wins!" is only applicable to a group of people I'd argue barely exists (or doesn't at all), who can play 24 hours of the day at any given time and makes sure to be awake and winning 100% right on that mark 365 days a year. This shouldn't even be a factor, the argument should be for first win "of the day" and for the vast majority of players.

Please, for the love of god, change the FWOTD bonus to once per 24 hours at a specified reset time.

mrfiddles

11-29-2012

I would LOVE a specific time reset. I usually play every day, and I still probably only get 75% of my possible WotD because I play at variable times. I really love the either 8 hours or 4AM PST idea. It's a little convoluted on paper but what is boils down to is "did you sleep since you got the last WotD? Congrats, here's another one," and that really seems like the way to go in my opinion.

Gentleman Gannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-29-2012

Not quite -- you missed a win of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotKiddington View Post

if the player always play at 11 PM every day, then the bonus reset schedule will be at the following time:

day 01 - 11 PM
day 02 - 9 PM
day 03 - 7 PM
day 04 - 5 PM
day 05 - 3 PM
day 06 - 1 PM
day 07 - 11 AM
day 08 - 9 AM
day 09 - 7 AM
day 10 - 5 AM
day 11 - 3 AM
day 12 - 1 AM
day 12 - 11 PM<---
day 13 - 9 PM
total number of first win of the day the player will get: 14 (or 13, depends on when server deploys we do a reset or not)
If the player is playing at the same time every day, (ie; 11:00), then the timer will stay at 2 hours before that -- so their win of the day will be available at 9:00 each evening. If the player is really chasing the bonus, though, they have the opportunity to get an extra 150 IP every couple of weeks.

DoozleDorf

11-29-2012

My own 2 cents. I like the current model, and here's why. It fits both those types of players that play at +/- the same time everyday, and those that can play at varying intervals.

If someone wants to play around 10pm every night, then their timer would reset to around 8pm following each FWOTD. They play at 10pm, and the same happens for the next day. Always there and ready for them at the same time.

For those that can/do play at varying times, they potentially get the benefit described in Kiddington's above, which is more FWOTD bonuses over an extended period.

"Most" people probably (have no way of knowing for sure) play around the same time each day during the work week, but then are able to play earlier/at varied times on the weekends. The current model is/would be more beneficial in the long run for those players.

TLDR: Over the long run, the current model is actually more beneficial to all players. Keep it as is.

Ramza

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoozleDorf View Post
My own 2 cents. I like the current model, and here's why. It fits both those types of players that play at +/- the same time everyday, and those that can play at varying intervals.

If someone wants to play around 10pm every night, then their timer would reset to around 8pm following each FWOTD. They play at 10pm, and the same happens for the next day. Always there and ready for them at the same time.

For those that can/do play at varying times, they potentially get the benefit described in Kiddington's above, which is more FWOTD bonuses over an extended period.

"Most" people probably (have no way of knowing for sure) play around the same time each day during the work week, but then are able to play earlier/at varied times on the weekends. The current model is/would be more beneficial in the long run for those players.

TLDR: Over the long run, the current model is actually more beneficial to all players. Keep it as is.
If "variable time" to you means "gets off work 2 hours earlier every day for some strange reason that I've never heard of any company scheduling shifts in", then yes, you're right, it benefits people on variable schedules.

Most of the time people doing shift work split time by 4-8 hours per day and it isn't always going in earlier. Going in 4 hours later means,instead of getting a first win 2 hours earlier like your thought process says, that they get home 4 hours later (that's a 6 hour difference). Then if they go to a shift 4 hours earlier than the first day, they get home and have to wait 6 hours for a first win chance.

If you know of a job that continuously requires you to come in and leave 2 hours earlier than the previous day, on a rolling basis, 7 days a week, and you continuously update your sleep schedule and plans around this, feel free to correct me.

A 22 hour rolling reset instead of a flat 24 hour one benefits literally no one except someone in that group. Any and all other arguments for it apply just as much or more to a nightly reset time.

CrazyGoNuts

11-29-2012

So post the numbers rather than being a jerk about it, kiddington. I know I miss out on my win of the day every 3rd day or so because the current system does not work for anyone except people who play and win at almost the exact same time every day. Its especially bad on weekends.

JJ Unbreakable

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosBloodterfly View Post
Also, why not just, "game of the day"? Why does it have to be a win.
You can just join a game, leave the building and come back later for your free IP.
Making it a win stops people from just joining the game and leaving.

FirstChoice

01-14-2013

109...No, this is a stupid system. I'm not going to break my sleeping cycle to squeeze in more wins. Your system of maximizing number of wins is trying to get your players to not have a constant sleeping cycle.

Ramenhaus

01-14-2013

Leave it to RiotKiddington to take a perfectly reasonable suggestion and respond only to the details and not to the idea.

RiotKiddington

Platform Engineer

01-14-2013
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramenhaus View Post
Leave it to RiotKiddington to take a perfectly reasonable suggestion and respond only to the details and not to the idea.
I already answered the question: "Would the idea of resetting this timer at midnight be a good one?". That idea would provide less reward than the current system. Details are important in validating an idea