Deck the Lanes with Gingerbread Contest Winners!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nyla

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
Okay, it's Top Chef time:

The polish and effort you put in to your dish does not entitle you to win a contest.

There are other factors that should also be considered, in this case: "how clearly does this resemble something iconic" and "how emotionally 'striking' is the artist's take on that".

Understanding the contemplations of the judges is very valuable if you plan to make work ostensibly on a commission.

The fact that your entry was of Dominion is not really a factor here-- the idea that the entry does not immediately scream "Crystal Scar" may be.

A possible alteration that may 'tip the scale' (if I were advising the artist) would perhaps be "put a capture point tower in front with Olaf channelling at it".

You clearly have mechanical talent: but don't let that make you arrogant, such that you might miss improvements to compositional skill.
... Now we're just going on a tangent of complete arrogance. Where are you actually trying to go with this? You are acting as though the judges went all "top chef time" on the winners, the piece you're degrading wasn't made by a chef and many of the winners (I'm not going to highlight any as that is just insulting) were evidently not made by professional chefs either... Riot didn't expect entries to be professional so why are you giving an analysis that is downright insulting?

Nyla

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastatheorm View Post
I'm a little curious, everyone's fighting so hard for this honorable mention, but if that entails no rewards (clearly as the contest rewards are/will be allocated to the official choices/community picks from woobox), is everyone clear on that.

Or is it just another timebomb :S
Everyone who made it into honorable mentions (aka voting) got the minor prize; All this years showdown skins and a Teemo hat. So I presume if they gave honorable mentions to others that they will also get the minor prize.

Mastatheorm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyla View Post
Everyone who made it into honorable mentions (aka voting) got the minor prize; All this years showdown skins and a Teemo hat. So I presume if they gave honorable mentions to others that they will also get the minor prize.
So if you were on the woobox voting screen you got a prize? Guess that makes sense, 25 for NA, 25 for EU. My math rules
I wasn't aware, thanks Nayla!

Grand Prize. 5* *winning Entries shall be awarded one Teemo Hat, one Malzahar hooded sweatshirt, one Blitzcrank hooded sweatshirt, and the following holiday-themed skins in League of Legends: Snow Bunny Nidalee, Happy Elf Teemo, Workshop Nunu, Old St. Zilean, Earnest Elf Tristana, Santa Gragas, Reindeer Kog’Maw, Silent Night Sona, Nutcracko, Re-Gifted Amumu, Ragdoll Poppy, Candy Cane Miss Fortune, Festive Maokai, Snowmerdinger, Mistletoe LeBlanc, Toy Soldier Gangplank, Slay Belle Katarina, Bad Santa Veigar, Snow Day Ziggs, Dark Candy Fiddlesticks. The approximate retail value (“ARV”) is $280.00 USD.

Community Choice. 5* *winning Entries shall be awarded one Teemo Hat, one Malzahar hooded sweatshirt, one Blitzcrank hooded sweatshirt, and the following holiday-themed skins in League of Legends: Snow Bunny Nidalee, Happy Elf Teemo, Workshop Nunu, Old St. Zilean, Earnest Elf Tristana, Santa Gragas, Reindeer Kog’Maw, Silent Night Sona, Nutcracko, Re-Gifted Amumu, Ragdoll Poppy, Candy Cane Miss Fortune, Festive Maokai, Snowmerdinger, Mistletoe LeBlanc, Toy Soldier Gangplank, Slay Belle Katarina, Bad Santa Veigar, Snow Day Ziggs, Dark Candy Fiddlesticks. The approximate retail value (“ARV”) is $280.00 USD.

Third Place. 20 *winning Entries *shall receive one Teemo hat and the following holiday-themed skins in League of Legends: Slay Belle Katarina, Bad Santa Veigar, Snow Day Ziggs, Dark Candy Fiddlesticks. The approximate retail value (“ARV”) is $60.00 USD.

The total ARV of all prizes awarded in this Contest is $4000.00 USD. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible Entries received.

Super Explosion

01-13-2013

Quote:
... Now we're just going on a tangent of complete arrogance. Where are you actually trying to go with this? You are acting as though the judges went all "top chef time" on the winners, the piece you're degrading wasn't made by a chef and many of the winners (I'm not going to highlight any as that is just insulting) were evidently not made by professional chefs either... Riot didn't expect entries to be professional so why are you giving an analysis that is downright insulting?
"Insulting"?

It is a sober insight into the decision process for contests such as this one.

You may find criticism that does not fawn over the artwork "insulting" if you like.

However I notice that artists who respond with "This is clearly Dominion," and "So please enlighten me why there were so many replicas of Summoner's Rift?" might be quite unaware that their work may not be 'perfect'.

There is a particular quantifiable metric that goes into everyone's judgement of a specific entry (whether Riot or a TV show judge) that I had hoped to elucidate.

In this case, while Reikii's mechanical polish was excellent, the composition may not have been striking enough.

Failing to consider that will not help anyone improve, or even understand why they may not have won. It pretty much only fosters complacency.

Reikii

01-13-2013

Quote:

Thank you Nyla, I personally don't want to add any more fuel to this explosion of hate - pun intended.

Super Explosion

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikii View Post
Thank you Nyla, I personally don't want to add any more fuel to this explosion of hate - pun intended.
You think I hate your entry?

That my criticism, designed to help you understand what happened and help you become a better artist is hate?

No matter how much I acknowledge where your skill is present, pretty much only pointing out the potential thoughts behind this contest's decisions-- you see fit to be flippant and defensive.

What a horrid attitude.

An artist (of anything) should always look for ways to improve, and never fall upon a tone of entitlement.

Reikii

01-13-2013

Quote:
You think I hate your entry?

That my criticism, designed to help you understand what happened and help you become a better artist is hate?

No matter how much I acknowledge where your skill is present, pretty much only pointing out the potential thoughts behind this contest's decisions-- you see fit to be flippant and defensive.

What a horrid attitude.

An artist (of anything) should always look for ways to improve, and never fall upon a tone of entitlement.
I don't know where this stemmed from, aside from another individual feeling I deserved an honorable mention. You chose to pick mine out and explain why I did not deserve this. Why you did this, I have no idea. No one asked for your opinion on the matter nor did I ask you for any advice. You made a comment and I replied to help you understand where I was coming from. You keep bringing up that I'm arrogant and I feel entitled. I've never once throughout this whole thread expressed to anyone that I feel I should of won or I should be entitled to an honorable mention.

EDIT: I'd like to make it clear that I have nothing against your first post where you commented on where I should improve but why you chose to keep going is beyond me.

Ms LadyDelicious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin it to Win It View Post
If any individual wants direct feedback on why their entry was not choosen, please add me in game and ask. I have spoken with a couple of you already, but it's not something that makes a lot of sense to do in a public forum.

I am not on right now, but I will be on tomorrow when I get to work and possibly tonight.
Weird question but can I add you in game... and play a game with you, instead? Sometime in the future?

I would be so happy's inside! Or another riot member. <3

Super Explosion

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikii View Post
You made a comment and I replied to help you understand where I was coming from. You keep bringing up that I'm arrogant and I feel entitled. I've never once throughout this whole thread expressed to anyone that I feel I should of won or I should be entitled to an honorable mention.
To be honest, your replies consisted of assuming that I was new to the game and had not seen that segment of The Crystal Scar.

You then suggested I should make it my "8th win (hopefully)" to visit Dominion.

I mean, that's clearly an arrogant assumption about the source of my opinion-- 'oh you must be new, that's why you don't think it's League related'.

You then continued to call into question other entries depicting Summoner's Rift, presumably to legitimize your own scene.

Of course, this is not a direct way of saying "I should have won", but...

Reikii

01-13-2013

Quote:
To be honest, your replies consisted of assuming that I was new to the game and had not seen that segment of The Crystal Scar.

You then suggested I should make it my "8th win (hopefully)" to visit Dominion.

I mean, that's clearly an arrogant assumption about the source of my opinion.

You then continued to call into question other entries depicting Summoner's Rift, presumably to legitimize your own scene.

Of course, this is not a direct way of saying "I should have won", but...
You realize those replies were after your second post where you needed to drill in some more why I should not of won. And I'm sorry you felt I was trying to say I should of won by referring other "maps". You made a point that my submission was comparable to doing huts and trees on Summoner's rift. Why is mine any different than someone who only did a map and nothing else.