Deck the Lanes with Gingerbread Contest Winners!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reikii

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Explosion View Post
The thing with Winter Dominion is that in looking it over, it does not really look League related.

That may be a point of contention here.

It has the impression of a very professionally done... standard scene of winter houses.

Then small runes were added.

I could see concerns that the piece actually was a professional scene of winter houses, with the runes added after.
In my defense, I see a lot of people that have never actually played on the Dominion map or people who are relatively new to this game make this comment. These houses are actual houses on the Dominion map and actually have some lore to them. If you've never been on the Dominion map, I encourage you to try and even read some lore on Kalamanda. The map itself has some really well done graphics and a very interactive map. If you don't, Ill leave a photo here of a screenshot I worked with while recreating Dominion into something edible.

Super Explosion

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikii View Post
In my defense, I see a lot of people that have never actually played on the Dominion map or people who are relatively new to this game make this comment. These houses are actual houses on the Dominion map and actually have some lore to them. If you've never been on the Dominion map, I encourage you to try and even read some lore on Kalamanda. The map itself has some really well done graphics and a very interactive map. If you don't, Ill leave a photo here of a screenshot I worked with while recreating Dominion into something edible.
Yes, it may resemble a segment of The Crystal Scar-- that does not make it cleanly and clearly League related.

There are huts and trees on Summoner's Rift, if you made a sculpture of only them, the same comment would likely be made.

This is not to 'cheapen' the work: simply explain some of the reasoning for that particular opinion.

And some of the concerns that may be raised about modified professionally done scenery.

GoddessShallah

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyla View Post
Sounds like a protest that won't get you many places sadly. The only thing Riot could even possibly do at this stage is give out an extra consolation prize, you can't expect them to take prizes from people who have already won and they most likely won't want to give out the major prizes so a minor prize for a few extra entries would be the only thing that'll come out of this because I highly doubt an apology will ever be directly given.

Even if extra prizes are given out there will still be people protesting that this or that entry should have received one too, there has to be thousands of entries that won't get acknowledged so not everyone will be happy even if Riot choose to do anything about what was said in this thread.
As I've stated several times, the winners won, congrats to them, no one wants anything taken from them. I don't think people will be protesting either because a lot of us, have come to terms with the fact that ours didn't win. I get that in retrospect, I could have do something a bit more creative instead of just thinking gingerbread theme, like I could have made my Lulu cookie with characters around it, that had say made her, maybe a few even taken bites out of her. I fight for those awesome ones that did deserve to be in. I'm sad that you continue to not read my post and yet you respond to me without a clue as to what I've previously stated. I want a solution, I've already thanked Xin and stated he's in the hot seat.

And Reikii, I think yours is very league related, you can also see the gingerbread theme as well I just get a Holiday feel from your entry. Yours would honestly be one of my top five, it is league related, it fits the criteria, it is creative and I think the way you did things looks very original. But that's just my opinion, I also think a few others deserve to be in the top five and if Xin is willing to reach this compromise with us, I think let's hear him out and those in the top five, and see if they feel that it would be something they would want.

Naringsliv

01-13-2013

Quote:

Hey. Entrant from http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...898295&page=39 here.

I'm totally jealous of your trees. How'd you do it? We'd have needed to scale yours up, definitely, but I just jury-rigged some sugar cones and strawberry shoelace.

Reikii

01-13-2013

Quote:
Yes, it may resemble a segment of The Crystal Scar-- that does not make it cleanly and clearly League related.

There are huts and trees on Summoner's Rift, if you made a sculpture of only them, the same comment would likely be made.

This is not to 'cheapen' the work: simply explain some of the reasoning for that particular opinion.

And some of the concerns that may be raised about modified professionally done scenery.
This is clearly Dominion, I would encourage you to make Dominion your 8th win (hopefully). There are other submissions even some who chose only to do a map with no other indication of being LoL related. Cruelty aside, this is my second time making a gingerbread house, and first time making it from scratch. Nothing has been professionally done and I'll take that as a wonderful compliment.

Super Explosion

01-13-2013

Quote:
This is clearly Dominion, I would encourage you to make Dominion your 8th win (hopefully).
"Modified" refers to an alteration of a professionally built house to resemble those on The Crystal Scar. (A regrettable possibility.)

If you read above, I already complemented what is presumably your craftsmanship, though apparently to get rudeness in return.

Mayhaps you should consider that I might have played more than this particular account might display.

In any case, a useful note on how to place in a contest like this is: Make a creative take on something that is iconically League.

A replication of a particular piece of scenery, no matter how polished, may not come off as strikingly interesting or League related.

Reikii

01-13-2013

Quote:
"Modified" refers to an alteration of a professionally built house to resemble those on The Crystal Scar. (A regrettable possibility.)

If you read above, I already complemented what is presumably your craftsmanship, though apparently to get rudeness in return.

Mayhaps you should consider that I might have played more than this particular account might display.

In any case, a useful note on how to place in a contest like this is: Make a creative take on something that is iconically League.

A replication of a particular piece of scenery, no matter how polished, may not come off as strikingly interesting or League related.
So please enlighten me why there were so many replicas of Summoner's Rift? A lot of which made it into the honorable mentions. I personally have no quams with their submissions but you clearly do. I'm sorry I felt your response to what I replied with extremely undeserved and rude. You didn't need to respond to it at all yet you chose to.

Mastatheorm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2013

Quote:

Like a lot of things irl, that first impression really has a lot of weight in these type of things.

I personally liked your trees and shingle work

Super Explosion

01-13-2013

Quote:
So please enlighten me why there were so many replicas of Summoner's Rift? A lot of which made it into the honorable mentions. I personally have no quams with their submissions but you clearly do. I'm sorry I felt your response to what I replied with extremely undeserved and rude. You didn't need to respond to it at all yet you chose to.
Okay, it's Top Chef time:

The polish and effort you put in to your dish does not entitle you to win a contest.

There are other factors that should also be considered, in this case: "how clearly does this resemble something iconic" and "how emotionally 'striking' is the artist's take on that".

Understanding the contemplations of the judges is very valuable if you plan to make work ostensibly on a commission.

The fact that your entry was of Dominion is not really a factor here-- the idea that the entry does not immediately scream "Crystal Scar" may be.

A possible alteration that may 'tip the scale' (if I were advising the artist) would perhaps be "put a capture point tower in front with Olaf channelling at it".

You clearly have mechanical talent: but don't let that make you arrogant, such that you might miss improvements to compositional skill.

Mastatheorm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessShallah View Post
As I've stated several times, the winners won, congrats to them, no one wants anything taken from them. I don't think people will be protesting either because a lot of us, have come to terms with the fact that ours didn't win. I get that in retrospect, I could have do something a bit more creative instead of just thinking gingerbread theme, like I could have made my Lulu cookie with characters around it, that had say made her, maybe a few even taken bites out of her. I fight for those awesome ones that did deserve to be in. I'm sad that you continue to not read my post and yet you respond to me without a clue as to what I've previously stated. I want a solution, I've already thanked Xin and stated he's in the hot seat.

And Reikii, I think yours is very league related, you can also see the gingerbread theme as well I just get a Holiday feel from your entry. Yours would honestly be one of my top five, it is league related, it fits the criteria, it is creative and I think the way you did things looks very original. But that's just my opinion, I also think a few others deserve to be in the top five and if Xin is willing to reach this compromise with us, I think let's hear him out and those in the top five, and see if they feel that it would be something they would want.
I'm a little curious, everyone's fighting so hard for this honorable mention, but if that entails no rewards (clearly as the contest rewards are/will be allocated to the official choices/community picks from woobox), is everyone clear on that.

Or is it just another timebomb :S