Deck the Lanes with Gingerbread Contest Winners!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

Follow Xin it to Win It on Twitter

01-13-2013
25 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikii View Post
Thanks for the compliment but I don't think judging a submission based on how much work was put in is fair. However i do feel Riot should use their discretion when theres a visible lack of effort. I do feel I was let down by Riot. I, like so many others that took Riot's official Rules and Red posts to heart actually ended up being detrimental to their chances of winning. I originally was going to add so many more details with candy and fondant but after reading a Red post I stuck with only gingerbread to keep my submission mainly gingerbread because how am I suppose to know what's considered mainly gingerbread or using it as a focal point, when these entries are solely based on photos and the entrie's honesty. That being said I think a lot of us came up short on this. I hope people understand why some of us are so enraged with this whole contest.
I am sorry that your entry was not selected. It is obvious that you put a lot of work into it and have a lot of skill.

For the record, we never said that fondant or candy were not allowed as part of this contest. Based on the volume of negative feedback about the allowing use of fondant, perhaps we will have a future contest where it is not allowed, but because we did not disallow it on this contest, we can't retroactively punish entries for using it.

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

01-13-2013
26 of 46 Riot Posts

Over 15,000 people voted on the Community Choice and we will post results on Monday.

glenmcdonald2

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin it to Win It View Post
Over 15,000 people voted on the Community Choice and we will post results on Monday.
*In a three year old's whiny voice* But I wanna know NOW!!!! Lol, I'm excited and eager to see the results. Congrats to those that already won, those that were selected as honorable mention, and to those that didn't make it all the way through. I've been keeping my eye on the forums since the contest opened up and I saw some really great submissions. I'm really upset that it has turned into such a huge debacle here at the end and that Xin is caught in the middle of it. Hopefully next time the rules will be a little clearer and maybe it won't be during the holiday seasons and Riot will be able to answer more questions on it. I think those two things right there is what has really hurt this contest.

Pickle Pet

01-13-2013

Quote:
We do judging once submissions are closed. Would that email be helpful at all?

We are looking into having the submission tool catch technical reasons for being DQ'ed, for example wrong image format or resolution.
Yes. It would be. You may not be able to do a resubmission, but you at least know why you're not considered for winning. A lot of the people here are wondering how some entries didn't make it to honorable mention; if we were told that they were DQ'd for a specific reason, there may not be as much of that. Or, if said entries weren't DQ'd, we'd know the jig is up. You don't feel like some one has a right to know that they've been DQ'd any way? I find that disturbing.

The tool is not a bad idea, I'm glad that at least should free up some more manpower.

Nyla

01-13-2013

Quote:
Out of sheer curiosity how many votes were on Eu and Na? Na entries seemed to have a lot more Facebook likes than Eu.

Ombria

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2013

The community members are not asking for anything to be done or retroactively changed about the current winners. We offer them our congratulations for their creative efforts, for they did not have anything to do with what our main concern has been. Have we reached a stalemate? Riot believes they judged the entries to the best of their ability with regard to contest rules and clarifications; the community members do not. Riot is in a situation where no matter what they do (add more prizes, do another round of the contest with stricter adherence to the clarifications, etc.) would be admitting a failure to judge according to guidelines, and would take away the glory from the current winners.

I admire those who are sticking to their guns in this thread, though, because I feel that simply focusing on what to do for the next contest is disrespectful to the current concerns. By brushing the issue under the rug, we would be disregarding the efforts of those who followed the rules to a T. We keep saying there were many more worthy entries that fit the spirit and rules of the contest without giving you examples to help explain what we mean. These are a few entries I had no doubt we'd see more of, and why:

Boxing Day Blitzcrank by Devanstator: The cleanest 3D Blitz I have seen, and undoubtedly gingerbread. The real reason this should be here is that it is a terribly clever idea! (Boxing Day is the day after Christmas.) Devanstator paid attention to the little details here as well as using ingenuity to construct the piece in the first place. There's "blood" on the gloves and mat, you can clearly see 'pwn' on the gloves, and to use candy canes and red licorice for the ring was genius.

Yordle Cart by davu and co.: Adorable, clean, and detailed. Yes, this is a yordle entry, but the smart use of gingerbread tiling leads your eye first from the cart then to our little yordles. The cart is stunning. Each character is also in their Snowdown skins (haven't seen many Tristanas, either)! Definitely a yordle entry exuding the spirit of the season.

Teemo Sculpture by IshtarBlood, Xagashi, and ObeySolestia: If you're going to present Teemo, this was the way to do it. Obviously graham cracker, frosting, what appears to be cotton candy, and M&Ms come together to make a full sculpture, which is was the contest challenged us to make.

Winter Dominion by Reikii: One of the most detailed and beautiful gingerbread creations seen. While not easily recognizable as League off the bat for some, it was clearly explained as a unique rendition of the Dominion map, which I have not seen others do.

My own: While it may be trite to add my own, I want to use it as an example of original concepts we had expected to see (as opposed to saying it should have made it farther). Unique points: a character recall, a [6"] Mistletoe Leblanc (and Kat and Nid), a Veigar stun around a cake base. Each character is in a Snowdown skin and is easily recognizable, made of gingerbread, and relatively sized to each other (i.e. human characters are bigger than the yordles). The layout of the piece and use of the interlocking gingerbread base is also unique from what I have seen. (The whole point here is the dissent over repeated use of the same characters, individual character cookies, and repeat concepts that were featured when there had to have been more original entries to choose from.)

How do you tell some of these people who spent over a week and a considerable amount of money on materials that though they paid strict attention to the rules and clarifications, the best we can give them is the satisfaction of having made something? What to do, though, is the real question. Do nothing, and you leave many of us wondering what the point would be in essentially wasting our time and talents on future contests if we cannot trust the judges to stick to the same guidelines we were given. I appreciate the sticky situation you're in and the desire to avoid it in the future. Guess a lot of us are just still concerned about the present. I truly wish you the best of luck while sorting this out.

Nyla

01-13-2013

The Winter Dominion from Reikii really astonished me, unless it was disqualified for dimensions I cannot think of any reason at all why it wouldn't be a winner never mind not an honorable mention. It fits all of the criteria - physically appealing, original, creative and made out of gingerbread. I just can't fathom which Riot member would look at that amazing creation and not think it was worth an honorable mention, unless they didn't bother to read the explanation of how it was a Dominion map (Which I presume was in Rekii's description).

Pickle Pet

01-13-2013

Very well put, Ombria.

Quote:
I am sorry that your entry was not selected. It is obvious that you put a lot of work into it and have a lot of skill.
Answer. The question is, if you admit Reikii's submission took a lot of effort and skill, why was that not reflected in the results? The same of Ron Paul's if it was not disqualified. And every one else, particularly the ones Ombria has brought up. This question keeps being asked more than any other, why aren't you answering it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreampod View Post
Things that would make me happy:

-Share some of your contest grading sheets.
Agree with all of this post, this part the most.

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

01-13-2013
27 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ombria View Post
The community members are not asking for anything to be done or retroactively changed about the current winners. We offer them our congratulations for their creative efforts, for they did not have anything to do with what our main concern has been. Have we reached a stalemate? Riot believes they judged the entries to the best of their ability with regard to contest rules and clarifications; the community members do not. Riot is in a situation where no matter what they do (add more prizes, do another round of the contest with stricter adherence to the clarifications, etc.) would be admitting a failure to judge according to guidelines, and would take away the glory from the current winners.

I admire those who are sticking to their guns in this thread, though, because I feel that simply focusing on what to do for the next contest is disrespectful to the current concerns. By brushing the issue under the rug, we would be disregarding the efforts of those who followed the rules to a T. We keep saying there were many more worthy entries that fit the spirit and rules of the contest without giving you examples to help explain what we mean. These are a few entries I had no doubt we'd see more of, and why:

Boxing Day Blitzcrank by Devanstator: The cleanest 3D Blitz I have seen, and undoubtedly gingerbread. The real reason this should be here is that it is a terribly clever idea! (Boxing Day is the day after Christmas.) Devanstator paid attention to the little details here as well as using ingenuity to construct the piece in the first place. There's "blood" on the gloves and mat, you can clearly see 'pwn' on the gloves, and to use candy canes and red licorice for the ring was genius.

Yordle Cart by davu and co.: Adorable, clean, and detailed. Yes, this is a yordle entry, but the smart use of gingerbread tiling leads your eye first from the cart then to our little yordles. The cart is stunning. Each character is also in their Snowdown skins (haven't seen many Tristanas, either)! Definitely a yordle entry exuding the spirit of the season.

Teemo Sculpture by IshtarBlood, Xagashi, and ObeySolestia: If you're going to present Teemo, this was the way to do it. Obviously graham cracker, frosting, what appears to be cotton candy, and M&Ms come together to make a full sculpture, which is was the contest challenged us to make.

Winter Dominion by Reikii: One of the most detailed and beautiful gingerbread creations seen. While not easily recognizable as League off the bat for some, it was clearly explained as a unique rendition of the Dominion map, which I have not seen others do.

My own: While it may be trite to add my own, I want to use it as an example of original concepts we had expected to see (as opposed to saying it should have made it farther). Unique points: a character recall, a [6"] Mistletoe Leblanc (and Kat and Nid), a Veigar stun around a cake base. Each character is in a Snowdown skin and is easily recognizable, made of gingerbread, and relatively sized to each other (i.e. human characters are bigger than the yordles). The layout of the piece and use of the interlocking gingerbread base is also unique from what I have seen. (The whole point here is the dissent over repeated use of the same characters, individual character cookies, and repeat concepts that were featured when there had to have been more original entries to choose from.)

How do you tell some of these people who spent over a week and a considerable amount of money on materials that though they paid strict attention to the rules and clarifications, the best we can give them is the satisfaction of having made something? What to do, though, is the real question. Do nothing, and you leave many of us wondering what the point would be in essentially wasting our time and talents on future contests if we cannot trust the judges to stick to the same guidelines we were given. I appreciate the sticky situation you're in and the desire to avoid it in the future. Guess a lot of us are just still concerned about the present. I truly wish you the best of luck while sorting this out.
It is obvious that the Community here feels very strongly about these entries. Should we give these 5 an honorable mention? (note: two of them are in the incorrect image format, but if this is really the feeling of the community, it makes sense for use to make an exception.)

Ombria

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2013

Quote:
It is obvious that the Community here feels very strongly about these entries. Should we give these 5 an honorable mention? (note: two of them are in the incorrect image format, but if this is really the feeling of the community, it makes sense for use to make an exception.)
Thank you for your response, Xin. I feel I cannot say one way or another about the honorable mention as I included my own as an example and do not wish to be biased. I will have to leave that one up to my peers. As far as incorrect image size, I can say that I cropped my own down and made it smaller for a quicker load time on the forums, but the images I submitted to the contest were formatted properly. This may be the case with a few of the others as well.

P.S. A passionate community is a good thing! I admire everyone's spunk and your efforts in this matter.