Deck the Lanes with Gingerbread Contest Winners!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UnremarkableOne

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin it to Win It View Post
The 3 tree cookies qualify as Christmas Tree Cookies.
unfortunately for that entry I do disagree, I agree with most of your winners, but using the three cookies as an excuse to place their names and not as part of the work seems kind of unfair. I could try and make a fondant sculpture and throw a cookie on it as a placeholder for my name and not part of the work... but what about the people who used originality to incorporate those cookies into their work and not a last second toss in.

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

Follow Xin it to Win It on Twitter

01-11-2013
9 of 46 Riot Posts

My long-term goal is to make contests that people feel good about entering and have a good time building their entries.

I understand that these announcement threads tend to become negative based on the fact the not everyone can win a contest, but when you guys provide feedback we really do listen. For example, maybe next-time we do a food contest we don't allow use of fondant and we use a standard photo submission tool like instagram.

This contest had 1,200 entries across NA and EU and we had to narrow it down to 60 winners. Obviously having 1,140 people not win sucks, but I am not sure how to modify our contests so that we can have more winners, without basically making it into a sweepstakes where people are doing the bare minimum to get a prize.

Keep the input flowing.

Nielle

01-11-2013

Well... I didn't make it
*******http://i46.tinypic.com/qxrs45.jpg******** *******http://i46.tinypic.com/wl4tjs.jpg********

Congrats to the winners and I feel disappointed too

UnremarkableOne

01-11-2013

I think that you said that originality was one of the three criterion, what I am finding in the winning 60 is yordles... lots and lots of yordles, I have nothing against them... but if everyone is producing the same work, where is the originality... I really wanted to see the volibear cookie get in, I dont understand how it couldn't have... I was going to vote for it since you can't vote for your own :P

Ron Paul

01-11-2013

Quote:
My long-term goal is to make contests that people feel good about entering and have a good time building their entries.

I understand that these announcement threads tend to become negative based on the fact the not everyone can win a contest, but when you guys provide feedback we really do listen. For example, maybe next-time we do a food contest we don't allow use of fondant and we use a standard photo submission tool like instagram.

This contest had 1,200 entries across NA and EU and we had to narrow it down to 60 winners. Obviously having 1,140 people not win sucks, but I am not sure how to modify our contests so that we can have more winners, without basically making it into a sweepstakes where people are doing the bare minimum to get a prize.

Keep the input flowing.
It's not that; it's that out of 1,200; based on the entries you chose, it looks like you did it sweepstakes style.

6Xamaco6

01-11-2013

I want!!!!!!! 3rd!!!!!!!!!!! :F

Cloudboy92

01-11-2013

Aw mine didnt make it to the community vote

Bryy

01-11-2013

Quote:

Keep the input flowing.
Make the grading visible and stick to your own rules. 1/3 each for creativity, originality etc, whatever else you choose for next time. I think a lot of the soreness between myself and everyone else who believes we kicked ass and got no recognition is that a lot of the entries were expected, cliche, and/or carbon copies of your contest banner. Surely you get tired of looking at Baron?

We put a lot of time and effort in and that's not shown in some of your second choices. That hurts. I've seen a lot of people total 40+ hours on their projects, myself included, to be outclassed by a cookie cutter and a few sweeps of icing, or a giant, unidentifiable thing.

tl;dr Give the scores like they do in the state fair.

Dreampod

01-11-2013

Quote:

Keep the input flowing.
Most announcement threads for contests aren't particularly negative because the contest was administered decently. It isn't that I didn't win that makes me upset (not that I'm thrilled with that) but the fact that many of the entries chosen over mine, and all the other impressive ones I've seen, are just plain bad or violating the purpose of the contest. In other contests I can see why the winners were chosen even if I don't agree with those choices. This time however I simply don't see how a competent person could have considered many of those choices to be 'best'.

A Wild Magikarp

01-11-2013

Sure this has been said already, but please make sure people have at least 1 Rioter monitoring contest threads to answer questions. While some of the questions may be dumb or redundant, some are quite legit. I know that I answered at least 10 myself in the contest thread and many people were really freaking out over some details. I understand that the holidays had an impact on this, but for all those out there that maybe got DQ'd or had some sleepless nights wondering if your hard work was fair game or not, sorry for the stress. Hope things go more smoothly next time =)

Also, for future competitions, I'd like to encourage people to chill out about the fondant some. What needs to happen though is that there needs to be a very very big emphasis put on creativity. I want to see submissions that add something to the game. I don't care how beautiful it is, if you simply make an exact replica of a LoL champ with food, that doesn't get any creativity points. It may still score high, but someone who has a somewhat less professional-looking submission should be able to compete by doing things like designing new skins, portraying champs in an unexpected role, etc. Additionally, I want to see people go out on a limb and attempt things that most people won't. By now we've seen a lot of the more beloved characters/items but imagine how much a really well done Kha'zix would stand out. That's the only way I was able to make it into the winner's circle in the last contest... compared to the other winners, my entry was quite sloppy and amateur-looking. I think I made up for that by doing something a little out of the ordinary. While I tried to do the same thing this time, I crashed and burned hard ;p But yeah, the parameters of this contest were just fine IMO in terms of requested ingredients.

Speaking of future competitions... instead of being super specific with ingredients/theme, consider letting it be up to us but make it necessary to have a clear theme to the submission. For example, a scene where you do champs clearly preparing for battle by suiting up, sharpening weapons, etc. vs. champs just standing there... maybe a scene where it's clear all the champs went on a cruise and are having a fun time in the sun. Again, people who are very skilled with food art may make a nicer looking submission, but only someone super dedicated to this game would be able to create a winning theme.

*** Another thing... for any automatic-submission contests, please make the system inform us that we messed up certain things such as picture resolution so we know to resubmit it. Also, while I know this could be a big undertaking, consider letting people submit a photo of their work early if there were any concerns that something might not be within the guidelines so alterations could be made in time.