Should the maximum camera zoom out be increased?

Yes! (Any additional reasoning?) 875 88.03%
No... (Why not?) 119 11.97%
Voters: 994. You may not vote on this poll

Camera zoom out is insufficient. Let me zoom out more? Reasoning included.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

boourns

UI Designer

01-07-2013
5 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiplex View Post
Unrelated counter-point: Buying a bigger monitor gives you a bigger field of fiew.
No it doesn't. Buying a monitor with a different aspect ratio might though.

Duke Br0heimer

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
No need to buy a monitor, playing around with your nvidia console a little is enough to get you a ridiculous advantage in game.

GetSharked

01-07-2013

Taken from one of the mentioned threads :

"I just want all of kogmaw's range to fit on my screen."

Can we at least move the hud to the top on purple side? On paper it sounds like it'd workish.

Archiplex

01-07-2013

Quote:

One or the other, i've noticed i can see (at blue), somewhere from the edge of mid lane to halfway through bot lane (top blue), from only being able to see inside the jungle.

Karmic Fallout

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskdeep View Post
Bump for justice.

Just let us zoom out 1 or 2 more ticks. I can't see ****. Enemies see me 2 seconds before I see them, all because they have a wider monitor. We can't even try to level the playing field with third party zoom programs because we'll get banned.

Unlock my camera? Okay, that solves the vision problem while creating a whole new problem. All the extra time I have to spend micromanaging the screen means my cursor isn't available to react to the actual gameplay. You know, like incoming skill shots, ganks, warding, everything. If your screen is wider then you don't have to pan your camera as often. Your cursor is free to do other things like poke, juke, dodge, and so on.

Isn't that the kind of gameplay you want for us? Why are you making us fight the interface? We just want to play PvP... not Player vs Camera.

Face it, this advantage is bigger than any bush placement or map imbalance. You know that moment when a team fight is about to go down, and your team is dancing with the other team just waiting for an opportunity? Yeah, some people can't even see the other team.

I remember the first time I logged into Proving Grounds. My first thought was "Okay this is gonna be a problem. How do I zoom out more?"

Please don't close this thread like you closed the others. Please don't let it die. We just want to play the game.
Who the hell plays with a locked camera? Half the time I'm playing my champ isn't even on the screen. If you ARE for some reason playing with a locked camera then that explains all your issues and I hope I never run into you on my team -- not to be mean.

Unlock the camera and learn to use the space bar.

I'm never fighting with the camera.

CommandShockwave

01-07-2013

Quote:
I think you and I both know that's what he meant. He may not have understood it, but that's more or less the point he was trying to make.

So whad up wit dat?

Phreak

Shoutcaster

01-07-2013
6 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Counter-Point: Your monitor (almost) doesn't matter. You can always run the game Windowed in 16:9 and have the "most" view.

boourns

UI Designer

01-07-2013
7 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunk Lord View Post
I think you and I both know that's what he meant. He may not have understood it, but that's more or less the point he was trying to make.

So whad up wit dat?
Not sure what I can say, different aspect ratios will inevitably see a different amount of the map. We could keep the horizontal field of view the same for different aspects, or vertical. Alternatively we could try to come up with a complex "show the same map area formula". I believe we choose to keep the vertical FOV constant.

ArcticSirius

01-07-2013

What about placing the purple team's HuD above the champion instead of under? It's just annoying me as Ahri trying to land a Q or E on an opponent in mid (or bot) lane unless they're hugging Baron's side of the river.

Goguma XO

01-07-2013

All the red posts seem to suggest that Rioters are already set on what they think about this, and aren't ready to listen to anything otherwise. So it might be pointless to post about this, but I guess I will anyway.

I recently had to move from playing on a 21-inch 1680x1050 monitor to a 32-inch 1360x768 LCD TV. Differences in screen size was easy to adjust to in just a game or two. I've tried a few game of LoL on a 50-inch 1920x1080 TV at a friend's house and it wasn't a problem. The differences in field of view to due changes in resolution however, is all but insurmountable.

I've been playing with free camera since day 1 (doesn't everyone who's ever played DotA, or even just StarCraft?) so I've always been shifting the camera while I play throughout every single game. However, with a smaller field of view, free camera really doesn't help much. It's not ever the problem of whether I can see gankers or whatnot. I can hardly see all of myself, the minions I need to last-hit, and the lane opponent(s) who I need to harass/avoid all at the same time. In a static farming situation that might not be a problem, but no one really just stands there and farm.

Since dropping down to 1360x768, I have been unable to play mid or adc bot at all. I mostly try to get the jungler or support spot as much as possible due it being impossible to play mid or adc with the me+CS+enemy problem. It's usually not as bad at top because it's often melee vs melee and the action is clustered closer around the minion swarm.

I don't really want or need to see more of the field to have any kind of advantage or convenience. But I would really, really appreciate it if the field of view is at least pretty constant at every resolution. This is solely a playability issue that I would really like Riot to seriously consider.