New Graphics Card?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KevinCaution

01-06-2013

Right now I have the AMD Radeon 7770 1gb card. I'd like to upgrade without spending an arm and a leg. ~$400. I have a 500w PSU, which I don't really want to have to upgrade. Any recommendations?

I stream once in a while, but I'd like to be able to stream my games (in good quality) without having to deal with FPS issues.

The First

01-06-2013

With your current GPU, how many FPS do you get while playing LoL without streaming & vice versa, and what streaming software do you use?

What other games do you play / stream? If it's only LoL, I think your current GPU should be enough. Right now I have a GTX 660 TI OC Edition. Definitely a big performance gain compared to my previous Radeon HD 4800 (I was still able to play & stream LoL in good (not great) quality, but I wasn't able to play on all maxed settings and only got ~30 FPS.

TL;DR : For your ~$400 budget, get this. For $300 + FREE Assassin's Creed 3, it's a bargain.

TheFieldMarshal

01-06-2013

If your PSU is 80+ bronze certified, i'd recommend an HD 7950. At stock speeds it rivals the GTX 670 and when OC'ed can match a GTX 680 OC'ed. I'd recommend the GTX 660/660ti as the 192 bit interface greatly bottlenecks the card. It clocked at 6000MHz but with a 192 bit interface games like skyrim will bog in HD. The GTX 670 isn't a bad buy, it can overclock some, runs very cool and generates a lot less heat than other cards. Can also be used on a 450w PSU.

TLR
GTX 670 for cool, low noise, and less power
HD 7950 for a strong gaming power house.

KevinCaution

01-06-2013

While streaming, my game tells me that I'm streaming 100+ frames, but it looks like it's running maybe 12. I also would like to be able to stream Planetside 2 higher than the lowest graphic settings. I stream using Xsplit, I have a license for it.

The First

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinCaution View Post
While streaming, my game tells me that I'm streaming 100+ frames, but it looks like it's running maybe 12. I also would like to be able to stream Planetside 2 higher than the lowest graphic settings. I stream using Xsplit, I have a license for it.
I highly recommend you to check out OBS (Open Broadcaster Software). It's a FREE & OPEN-SOURCE program (still in alpha stages, but stable enough for me, so far). You get pretty much most of what XSplit offers and MORE. Unlike XSplit (ran 30 FPS), OBS lets me stream @ 60 FPS without lag.

Make sure you're using the most optimal stream settings for what you're running on. For reference and comparison, here's my stream. I have my specs posted up and my videos are streamed using OBS. My upload speed is 5 Mb/s, but stream settings right now are at 2500 kb/s max bitrate & 1000 kb/s buffer.

tl;dr - Try streaming using OBS. It's FREE & awesome.

Hope that helps!

Kodoku

01-06-2013

hmm why would streaming result in your video card being taxed significantly more?

Not saying it wouldn't, but I would think either your CPU or your upload rate are more likely candidates.

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

01-06-2013

It appears that none of you realize you can buy a 7970 for $400, and his power supply would be enough to push it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125413

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202008

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161412

All of these are great cards and Nvidia can't touch it.

Now if for some reason his power supply was old and not performing as it should, he could step down to a 7950 and get a new power supply. I doubt this is the situation and he will just be able to drop in the new GPU and be off and running.