Need help with Alistar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HalxQuixotic

01-06-2013

Hello forum! Long time reader, first time poster.

I have been playing LoL for about a month now, and am learning to play all roles with a variety of different champions. I got Alistar for free a while back and have been enjoying playing him as support. I have a pretty good move with him where I run/flash in, pop an enemy up and use that time he is in the air to get past him so I can head butt him toward my carry/team for an easy kill. The problem I am having, though, is that after I have used that trick in a team fight, those abilities go on vacation for two weeks and I have nothing else to contribute the rest of the fight! My AA and passive are mosquito bites because I am built for support, and even when I pop my ult and try to stay in between them and us, I seem to get whittled down pretty quickly.

I did a quick search about this on the forums and found this:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...star+teamfight
Is this my answer, or is there more I can do to contribute to a big 5v5 team fight?

Thanks for your time,
Halx

katyyyyyyyyyyy

01-06-2013

aliestar crowley was a famous mage, whom many people near him died mysteriously. He was a messenger basically, and wrote books on magick. one book called equinox, which had the pyramid and eye on the cover as well as many other aleistar crowley and occultic books, was written before roosevelt decided to rework the dollar bill to include that pyramid eye image on the dollar bill. It is known that aleistar crowley had multiple secret magic societies, his book equinox clarified this a bit. He was a known member of the golden dawn and a teacher, aswell as a freemason. Many claim aleistar crowley was involved with hitler and some curse's by aleistar crowley lead to lots of blood shed in world war 2. Aleistar Crowley died either during world war 2 or shortly after.

There is no way to get better as Aleistar since he is dead. But one book from the Hermetic order of the Golden Dawn. Has a picture of the "baphomet" in it. The book is called "trascendal magic" and on page 186 is the baphomet where this image originated from. Aleistar Crowley did call himself the beast 666 on a number of occasions(such as the early part of his book called "magick" which also has the pyramid and eye on the cover if you look close, magnifying glass super zoom needed). The baphomet a cow like humanistic creature, often resembling a minotaur, can also be considered one of the many faces that portray the image of the devil.

esddaa

01-06-2013

What build do you use?

Kinvaras666

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2013

If you are building tanky, the best you can do is go head-on first on the enemy team and knock them all up, and headbutt the squishies away from their team, and the tanks away from yours.

It is all about team positioning. With Alistar you can make the enemy be in places they don't want to.

Remember your ult will reduce every damage you take, so it is better to activate it right before entering battle.

xRaze101

01-06-2013

I was pretty much in the same shoes as you a while ago. Alistar was my first champion and I loved him, but there is only so much he can do. If you do a little bit of research, you will find that Alistar was severely nerfed after season 2 and he isn't really that good anymore. He is still a decent support, but your QW combo is probably all he can do. Don't expect too much out of Alistar and maybe try out some new champions. (I switched to jungle warwick after giving up on ali).

HalxQuixotic

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by esddaa View Post
What build do you use?
I build him pretty tanky and try to play a meta support (low CS). I get philosopher's stone and kage's pick for extra gold. After boots I get stuff with auras to help out the team: aegis (sometimes I upgrade to bulwark), that banner thing, and the frozen heart. I know I am supposed to get a sightstone super early, but I am still pretty low level: almost no one wards and the jungle is left alone.

Thanks for all the replies. It does seem that he is pretty limited. I do also have Soraka for a different style of support and I enjoy playing her as well.

CounterSnipe

01-06-2013

Here's a list of things I used to do when I played alistar in S2

1) never smart cast your W because you will frequently mess up your WQ.

2) Always hold down q after w as this will activate the proper combination 100% of the time. Tapping Q over and over again isn't reliable.

3) Use W on a minion and Q if you cannot w to an enemy directly.

4) Never use your utlimate during the beginning of fights. People just ignore you because they know they cannot damage you.

For S2 Masteries I'd recommend a 4/5/21 page, making sure to grab the CDR in both the utility tree and the offensive tree.

This helps a lot as it gives you 10% CDR at the beginning of the game. If you get really confident with your alistar play, then invest in flat CDR quints and blues. Combined with your masteries this will give you 20% Flat CDR at level 1. From games, I'd say CDR is the #1 stat you need on alistar. After that get resistances. Worry about HP last... He gets over 100 HP per level, so as long as you're smart about how you play and you're smart about using your ultimate, HP should never become a problem.

The one major drawback of using my type of build is that you are far less tanky throughout the game (when your ultimate is down). Because of that you have to become much more selective about your fights. However, my build allowed me to go from 900 to 1400 elo in one season.

However, Ive stopped playing alistar... The main proble with supporting him is when your laner is passive. And if you're up against a poke lane with a support like Janna/lulu/zyra/zil.etc, then alistar becomes a lot harder to play.....

Oh, and as a side note, in team fights you are a good initiator, but you're also a good peeler. If you notice the enemy team is diving on your carries, then never initiate with alistar. Instead, always save his CC to protect your carries. I mean, there's no point in initiating on the enemy if they just ignore you and kill your carries.

HalxQuixotic

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSnipe View Post
2) Always hold down q after w as this will activate the proper combination 100% of the time. Tapping Q over and over again isn't reliable.
If you hold down the Q while the animation for W is going, will it knock the target up before he gets thrown back? Or are you just always lining up your W into a wall so the enemy stays in range?

Great stuff, I appreciate the advice.

SchierkeWiking

01-06-2013

You should also try to learn his W+Q combo, where you basically head butt them and at the exact moment use pulverize, doing the damage and knock of both skills but keeping the enemy close.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2095609

wHiSkErTeMx73744

01-06-2013

Alistar is a little tricky to get used to, but what I do when I play him is use the WQ combo, as already mentioned, and make sure my team gets 1 kill. If we kill one target, the rest usually fall into place. 5v4 becomes 5v3, then 5v2, maybe a 4v2 or a 3v2, but anyway one kill should end up making the kills snowball in your favor. Do this every teamfight, and you're golden. Also, After you WQ combo, you can heal once. Stagger it with your WQ if you can so your passive does more damage. Because you are nearly invincible with your ult, just basic attack whatever you can. The extra damage is very little, but it still helps.