Help a noob with Ryze please.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

denyde

01-05-2013

can't believe no one has mentioned it, but you MUST smartcast as ryze. This is not optional. If you want to be a good ryze player, you have to learn to at least shift + all your spells. If you dont, you will miss spells in your combo, thus missing kills/gold/etc.

always start boots + 3 pots (NEVER crystal + 2 pots, you need boots to poke), use move speed quints + 12/9/9 on masteries, focusing on the MP, health, and buff duration tier-2 spells from each tree. rush tear and last hit with Q once you get it, gg after 25 mins, even if you are negative KDA

Mr Popadopalus

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by denyde View Post
can't believe no one has mentioned it, but you MUST smartcast as ryze. This is not optional. If you want to be a good ryze player, you have to learn to at least shift + all your spells. If you dont, you will miss spells in your combo, thus missing kills/gold/etc.

always start boots + 3 pots (NEVER crystal + 2 pots, you need boots to poke), use move speed quints + 12/9/9 on masteries, focusing on the MP, health, and buff duration tier-2 spells from each tree. rush tear and last hit with Q once you get it, gg after 25 mins, even if you are negative KDA
I smartcast on every champ I play so that's no problem. Like I said I open boots/3 when I'm against someone who has a few skill shots or against a champion who is exceptionally mobile. For example I'll start boots/3 against morg every time but against someone like, ummmm vladimir, I may start with Flask/Pots/Ward.

I really appreciate everyone responding to this, gonna try out these tips tomorrow when I have some free time. Thanks everyone.

Xtazed

01-06-2013

ryze is the definition of an early game bag of gold transitioning into god later on. I wouldn't really ever start boots 3 on ryze, i think it's optimal to grab a flask and like 5 hp/2 mp potions or so, play around that and when you'll reach summoner 30 that 3% MS you get from the end of utility tree will sort of make up for it. if you're getting wore down don't even trade with your opponent and focus on farming instead, also if your lane isn't warded save your W for escape.
EDIT: Always combo with Q first unless you need a very clutch snare. Also don't forget to use R if you need to catch up on someone, don't fear wasting it farming the jungle in mid game it's a 40 seconds cooldown spell that goes down a second every casts.. it's irrelevant. And you should be focusing on getting capped CDR very early aswell, from glacial shroud no other options as it's too good to pass on.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-07-2013

The main problem with Ryze is that they keep nerfing his already crappy range. He is outranged by like ALL AP mids pretty much.
When playing Ryze, accept that you arent gonna get in any hits on the enemy. Focus on farming solely and dodging their skillshots.
MS Quints will help a lot. Boots suck now but boots+3 will give you a mobility edge. That is key for dodging their shots and even punishing them occasionally with your Q,W,E,Q when you can squeeze one in.

Basically your best advice is to think defensively in lane. You dont have escapes from enemy junglers so no overextending. Your range sucks. Damage is so-so, but not very mana cost effective.

MorikTheMad

01-07-2013

I think people underestimate Ryze's early game.

I build 9/0/21, MPen reds, HP/lvl yellows, MR blues, movespeed quints

With a boots+3 start, you have a lot of mobility. Something like 394 movespeed.

Your Q has a short CD and hits for a not unreasonable amount of damage.

So, what do you need to do?

Against heavy pushing champs, you indeed need to focus on farming. Cass, Morg, Morde, etc.
You need to be auto attacking minions when it won't mess up your last hits. Conservative use of spells on minions will help a little too. You want to try to avoid being pushed into your tower for as long as possible. Once you hit 6 and get blue buff, you can push back. (Spam spells til your ult is off CD, ult a wave, repeat)

Against champions who cannot push well, and who don't have high sustain (e.g., vlad, gragas, soraka), I find I can usually zone them. You have to have a ward up though, and hug that side as much as possible (the one with the ward), and be very aware of how your opponent is moving.
When they come in to last hit, you can slam them with your combo, or at least with a Q.
I like Q->W->E->Q->Auto if they are still in range.

How do you get them zoned in the first place?
Early game (lvl 1), Q & auto attack when not last hitting.
Once you are lvl 2, you can Q->W->Auto->Q
Throw auto and Q whenever you can.

Against most champions and builds, you will be able to out damage them. If you can get a Q off on them when they are busy last hitting, and then back off before they can respond, that is good.

Against champions who DO out trade you, sit back and farm safely.

deadsway

01-08-2013

a great thinkg ive learned with ryze is if your going to grab frozen heart for mana, it gives armor. well how about grabbing a item with magic resist as well, doesnt take alot, but a lil mag res and armor with a mage can go a long way.