Future Feature Discussion: Loss of Control Indicators

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

01-04-2013
11 of 29 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgageddon View Post
I think it's a decent idea.

Everyone knows progress bars, be it from downloading files on the internet to in various games. With the code already existing, all you'd need to do is modify it to show different things.

However, regarding the text...if you remove it, and all they see then is a progress bar, unless you make each effect have a unique progress bar or color with it, many people new to the game might not get what the progress bar signifies.

Want me to create a few mock up pictures of my ideas when I get home? Or perhaps continue to discuss the idea in depth?
I always love seeing other people's mockups. How about something like this?

Attachment 586785

Kino

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelnath View Post

Attachment 586785
I think I'm in love.

nemofourteen

01-04-2013

Quote:
Questions:
  • What information would you like about control impairing effects in League?
  • What information do you feel is the most important to convey?
  • The least?
  • How would you like this information conveyed?
  • Where would you like it to be conveyed?
1) more information about the duration of crowd control effects would be great. as it stands, you have to either go on gut feelings ("damn that fiddle fear lasts for a long time") or spend time reading the wiki.
2) how significant an effect is to you at the moment. right now "Slowed!" takes up the same space as "Suppressed!"
3) reapplied abilities like frozen mallet, ashe, skarner, etc. telling me "Slowed!" when i've been slowed for the past four seconds already seems redundant.
4) i'd make the pop-up text larger/smaller or change color based on the intensity of the effect. for more significant effects you could add border particles like the red throb that shows up when you're taking large amounts of damage, but in different colors/patterns.
5) i think that showing the source of cc would be a big improvement. new players often have no idea where things like fiddle's fear or sion's stun are coming from. perhaps an arrow from them to you with the text popping up above that arrow?

Koto

01-04-2013

Questions:

Quote:
What information would you like about control impairing effects in League?
Firstly I'd like the duration of the effect to be listed clearly with a countdown.
Secondly I'd like the type of impairment to be listed in writing.
Thirdly I'd like better description of secondary information such as range, direction and source on the death screen.

Quote:
What information do you feel is the most important to convey?
Duration and type of crowd control.

Quote:
The least?
Death screen information.

Quote:
How would you like this information conveyed?
I'd like textual input on-screen via timer icons for duration.
If possible, I'd like the type of control to be listed in writing.
Also, for secondary information, I'd like it in an expanded list.

Quote:
Where would you like it to be conveyed?
Just above the central HUD, on the left, for the timer icons.
For the type of control limitation, on the HUD itself as a symbol and text.
Warcraft III did a good job of this with the 'effect' system, which put clearly recognizable animations on units that showed their status, as well as reddening their icons on the unit card.

Secondary information is already available if you monitor the action closely, it's just sometimes lost in a flurry of animation.

Retsopmi

01-04-2013

Simple icons above the head would be nice.

Standards like an eye with a line for blind, zzz for sleep, think 80's RPGs lol. Just not a screen flash. For one it will always be a killer on FPS for people with toaster comps. Two it's always a distraction. Three some of us are color blind. So flashing certain colors can really screw up visuals.

Danadin

01-04-2013

Quote:

Attachment 586785
That looks wonderful!

Maybe a little bit bigger, but that's deffinetly the type of thing i would love to see.

XxxLumberJackxxX

01-04-2013

Make it an option to be turned on or off please if and when its implemented.$ some people like a simple hud

IS1dc53b57c3fbb4f6e1ca6

01-04-2013

Quote:
Something like this? (image is rough)

Attachment 586758
No. I want to be able to see what's happening, even if i am stunned.

Lythicos Ra

01-04-2013

Hey there Xelnath. This is about wards.

When you have a ward targetted, it shows you the time remaining.
However! When the ward is not inside your current camera view, the time remaining doesn't update.

Is there a possible fix with that?

Also, could a ward potentially flash repeatedly on the map/camera view when it has <25 seconds left?

Karthaingo

01-04-2013

Quote:

Attachment 586785

I really like that idea a lot! That would make things really easy to tell for how long I am going to be stunned or silenced for. It actually looks a lot like how I envisioned my suggestion, but only with a bar that lets you know how long the thing is going to last for which makes it 100% better.