Input: Fix Matchmaking and the Trolls.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HonorTheCode

01-04-2013

[CENTER]Matchmaking[/CENTER]

[LEFT][CENTER]The guide to fix it all[/CENTER][/LEFT]

I really hope to reach out to the players like myself, who really want a community thatís positive and supports teamwork. All too often many of you like myself que in ranked, and all that happens is people call MID, TOP, ADC, and then fight over who gets it.

This is never a healthy start to a game that requires cohesive team work. Going into a game with a negative feeling almost always hinders gameplay in many forms such as lack of teamwork, arguing and then later the blame game when loss is imminent. This Bring about trolling, intentionally feeding and every other reportable offense listed and some that are not. I grow weary of getting annoyed and have slumped to the immature level of talking bad and even swearing at my team.

I regret my childish and immature actions and would see thought turned to greater good and make better use of my intellect and shower it upon the community with some thought out changes I think might help us as a whole and possibly solve some problems. This post is to gain feedback from the community and we might possibly be able to make a change together.
I recently got a reply from Riot about the issues I have listed above and they encouraged me to post in the forums. The representative that messaged me said
ďThanks for the suggestion, I'll pass this to the development team working on that part of the PVP.net client. We do have quite a few improvements we'd like to implement, and we're hiring new engineers and developers to deal with them all.

In the meantime, if you haven't already I suggest posting ideas like these on the forums. The developers are always checking for ideas, and you can get support and constructive feedback from your fellow summoners. We have adjusted priorities in the past based on community feedback!Ē.

This could very well be a generic statement but even if it is Iím going to use this as fuel to start a movement to gain support from the community to make changes that will make the game more enjoy able to us all while reducing the annoyances of pithy comments and trolls.
Some viable options would be to allow a que system. IE let players que for certain positions that they want to play before had to alleviate the argument in the chat room. I know there are also cons for this. Plays will que for support to get into the game faster but then say, hey Iím going ADC. This can be prevented with a vote kick option in the que. Say 3/5 players vote to kick an individual in the que hes replaced with the next person in line. Allow this to happen 2 times per match and only allow 60 seconds from the start of the que for this to happen.

Secondly allow people to not only honor opponents but also rate them for their performance in game. Let the community mark them as a troll, feeder, excreta . If an individual gets marked as one of these things let their que be disabled for a period of time. Some may say this is like the Tribunal and people get banned for days at a time or permanently. While I agree with this somewhat its my opinion that some people if not most of the individuals who do tribunal cases even read the content of the case just look at a reason for report and select yes or no.

Thirdly I think there should be a required amount of games played or a certain KDA ratio in order to que for ranked matches. Everyone knows those individuals I speak of when certain people just donít belong in ranked matches. Some summoners are just not cut out for ranked and cannot help their team benefit in any match. In addition to that, getting carried through the ELO ladder does not help that particular individual get any better just puts a hindrance on the team.

The goal of the post is not to complain or nag at pithy things. Itís a starting point for us as a community to come together discuss ideas we all have but have not been given voice yet. Please provide your input on these items I have presented. I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks
HonortheCode

adc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

01-04-2013

Quote:
Some viable options would be to allow a que system. IE let players que for certain positions that they want to play before had to alleviate the argument in the chat room. I know there are also cons for this. Plays will que for support to get into the game faster but then say, hey I’m going ADC. This can be prevented with a vote kick option in the que. Say 3/5 players vote to kick an individual in the que hes replaced with the next person in line. Allow this to happen 2 times per match and only allow 60 seconds from the start of the que for this to happen.
Players with a 3 stack will troll. The third troll in a row will win. If someone isn't paying attention, you're stuck with the troll.

Quote:
Secondly allow people to not only honor opponents but also rate them for their performance in game. Let the community mark them as a troll, feeder, excreta . If an individual gets marked as one of these things let their que be disabled for a period of time. Some may say this is like the Tribunal and people get banned for days at a time or permanently. While I agree with this somewhat its my opinion that some people if not most of the individuals who do tribunal cases even read the content of the case just look at a reason for report and select yes or no.
Trolls will just call other players trolls and disable their ability to play. Now they're ****ed.

Quote:
Thirdly I think there should be a required amount of games played or a certain KDA ratio in order to que for ranked matches. Everyone knows those individuals I speak of when certain people just don’t belong in ranked matches. Some summoners are just not cut out for ranked and cannot help their team benefit in any match. In addition to that, getting carried through the ELO ladder does not help that particular individual get any better just puts a hindrance on the team.
This is the most retarded of your suggestions. Why should we put a restriction on who gets to play ranked? Would I LIKE people who go 0/15 and can't get more than 5 CS in 10 minutes to be banned from Ranked? Yes. Would I support a decision to do that? Hell no. We were all bad at one point, and a game is a game. They'll eventually get to their Elo, whether that's 500 or 50, and then you'll never see them again.

All of your suggestions have flaws, and the last one is outright retarded.

Shadowed Ruby

01-04-2013

Because games are for fun, but if you're bad at them, go home. what da **** bro

I hate this kind of logic. You may get 1 bad match with someone who doesn't play as well as you like, doesn't mean you get to disable their ability to play altogether.

Seriously, what the actual BLITZCRANK are you thinking?

Durentis

01-04-2013

Simple use case for "I want to play a ranked 5v5":
1) Click Play.
2) Select ranked 5v5
3) Rank up to top 5 desired roles - may tie, store defaults in account settings
4) Join queue
5) System looks for a team where you can fit into one of your desired roles, with preference as indicated. System will not put you into a game in a role you have not ranked.
6) When a game is found, you are slotted into that role and expected to fulfill that role to the best of your ability.
?7) Team can vote to change role slots for each player prior to game start should the team wish to change the team dynamic.

No fighting over roles, no being forced to play a role you're completely unfamiliar with in the interest of teamwork, just simple team construction by the system. Trolls will still troll (selecting support and playing jungle, or what have you) but at least now you have a solid case without fighting.. just report and move on.

I'm not sure I'd like to see the system go so far as to restrict your available champs based on your selected role, but that's perhaps an option. Might get tricky with bans and stuff. But further potential restrictions can come after a basic system is in place.

Many people, as myself, likely hit 30 knowing only one role but knowing it very well.. not being guaranteed that role when joining a ranked game and having enough team ethic to not join a ranked game knowing only one role means such people simply can't play ranked at all. But with this system, we can select only adc, for example, and wait a little longer, perhaps, to get into a game.

This means, of course, that the system has to select some sort of sensible team dynamic (perhaps from a set of such) so as to not have 5 adcs on a team.

adc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Master Recruiter

01-04-2013

"Many people, as myself, likely hit 30 knowing only one role but knowing it very well.. not being guaranteed that role when joining a ranked game and having enough team ethic to not join a ranked game knowing only one role means such people simply can't play ranked at all. "

Well, that's your fault, not the system's fault. If you want to play League of Legends in Ranked, play League of Legends in Ranked. Don't play bottom lane ADC in Ranked. You need to be prepared to play the entirety of the game, which includes all 5 roles.

On top of that, Riot is not going to enforce the meta.

Durentis

01-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
Well, that's your fault, not the system's fault. If you want to play League of Legends in Ranked, play League of Legends in Ranked. Don't play bottom lane ADC in Ranked. You need to be prepared to play the entirety of the game, which includes all 5 roles.

On top of that, Riot is not going to enforce the meta.
You miss the point.

My fault? Learning one role well takes time.. learning all roles a great deal of time. There should be a way to play ranked having learned at least one with flexibility coming in time.

There are four possibilities if you know less than all of the roles and are a team player.
1) Form a static 5v5 team with defined roles and stay off the dynamic queue. - Does the dynamic queue disappear for me in this case? Likely not.
2) Play dynamic teams made up with a desired role as I suggest above. -
3) Play dynamic teams having played every role at least once. - "I'll suck, but at least I know roughly what's expected and will try. Sorry team." --ouch. heh
4) Don't play ranked prior to learning every position. --ouch. heh

A good way to drive people away would be to suggest (4) as you just did.
Playing early as many do with (3) results in a great deal of upset people and this "Elo Hell" folk talk of.
If (1) is the only solution for those who know less than all of the roles, there will be a great deal less quality people in the dynamic queue.
You can prevent fighting with (2) and significantly reduce trolling while you're at it. Isn't this a good thing?

Or would you prefer I become one of those who queue up and say "I'm playing adc because that's all I know.. deal with it or dodge and serve your timeout."? That's not cool.

There's no enforcing meta in what I suggest.. just a bound role that gets saved with the logs.. so long as champs aren't restricted, you can still technically play whatever wherever. The voting is to change the stored bindings, which are stored alongside chat logs and such for purposes of reporting players. Voting a change is a team's acceptance of you playing something else, which is quite likely to occur if the team doesn't like the current dynamic.

adc

Master Recruiter

01-04-2013

Ranked is meant to be a test of your skills at the game of League of Legends. Not a test of your skills in a single role in League of Legends. Froggen may be a very strong mid laner, but I guarantee you he gets stuck with other roles when he solo queues, and I guarantee you he plays all 5 roles with a degree of competency.

Also, yes, doing this would enforce the meta. Riot is saying that the roles are these, whether you can play any hero in them or not.

Durentis

01-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
Also, yes, doing this would enforce the meta. Riot is saying that the roles are these, whether you can play any hero in them or not.
No, to put it your way, Riot is saying that these are the roles people selected and this is one (of many) viable team dynamics. The team can still choose to adjust as desired if players are flexible.

The only way it's "enforced" is if everyone who joins only knows the one role they selected and nobody wants to change roles. But since the system selects from viable team dynamics and everybody is happy in their selected roles, where's the problem?

Anyway, I've said what I think is relevant to this thread already, you're really not answering the points I'm making, and you're still just effectively saying "stay out of ranked".

So I'm out in the interest of letting the thread continue with constructive feedback. Hopefully some others will have some interesting feedback on the current matchmaking system.

adc

Master Recruiter

01-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durentis View Post
No, to put it your way, Riot is saying that these are the roles people selected and this is one (of many) viable team dynamics. The team can still choose to adjust as desired if players are flexible.

The only way it's "enforced" is if everyone who joins only knows the one role they selected and nobody wants to change roles. But since the system selects from viable team dynamics and everybody is happy in their selected roles, where's the problem?

Anyway, I've said what I think is relevant to this thread already, you're really not answering the points I'm making, and you're still just effectively saying "stay out of ranked".

So I'm out in the interest of letting the thread continue with constructive feedback. Hopefully some others will have some interesting feedback on the current matchmaking system.
If you can pick 4 random players from the League of Legends pool and more that 50% of the time receive 4 people who would be willing to try something entirely new, if they were instead allowed to play the current meta, I will both be very surprised and concede the point.

What'll happen is that Riot will say "Ok, the roles are ADC, support, mid, top, and jungle. You may queue up for any of them and change in the queue if need be, but if you troll your teammates may report you." and then the majority of players won't be willing to try something new, and so anyone who does will be reported for trolling.

And yes. That's exactly what I'm saying. If you can't competently play all five roles, you should either be content to play at a lower Elo because you lack the skill to play all five roles, or you should stay out of ranked (preferably this option, since it doesn't impact other players' games) until you can competently play all five roles.

And I don't even mean "Oh you have to be 2k Elo in every role to start Ranked". I just mean you should have a solid understanding of the mechanics behind the game (CSing, wards, map awareness, wards, positoning, wards, etc., wards), and a decent understanding of how to play the lanes.

For example, my best roles are AD and mid. I'm decent at jungle, and alright at support. Top lane is by far my worst role, but I can play it competently enough that if my team shoves me into it without a choice, I won't feed and I'll possibly have the ability to outplay my opponent.

Miezner

01-04-2013

Or, You could simply make a team with your friends, and only do ranked with them. That way everyone knows what everyone is capable of playing. Why queue up alone and expect the role you want to be available? More often than not, ADC/APC is the most argued role. Everyone likes being the hero, the uber damage dealer. Who is to say we can't have more than one adc in the game. I prefer AD bottom's argument about giving players the chance to do something new.

Did you know once upon a time, just about everyone ran 5 ADC's? Then others realized the flaw in this plan and brought out Kennen. Kennen is considered anti ADC and from what I heard was the first to achieve a pentakill. That kind of innovation revolutionized LoL. Now we run with well rounded roles. Tank, Adc, Support, Jungle, APC/anti AD/bruiser. This setup is the forefront of how we play LoL. But I've seen crazy different setups that worked. For instance one group I vsed was 4 bruisers and an ADC. They ruined us, mostly due to inexperience but their group basically had 4 bullies and an assassin.

Innovation trumps Tradition.