Just Started Playing Ranked

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kaosovic

01-03-2013

about posting top roles, I usually enter the room with a greeting followed immediately by my pref of top or jungle.

usually multiple people want top, and I end up with Jungle.

Sometimes have to support if I am at the bottom of the list and someone else fills before me. No worries though, I think it works our fairly.

Draxarr

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin it to Win It View Post
Last night I decided to dive in and start playing solo ranked games.

For a long time I was hesitant to play ranked because I've read plenty of threads about rage in ranked and figured I should avoid ranked play.

What changed my mind was the realization that I have the ability to set a good example in game by promoting positive and constructive communication. This realization was tested in my second game when a high-skill player on a smurf account was paired with me bottom lane (I was Sona, he was Ashe). Initially he was getting frustrated by the mistakes that our team was making and was starting to rage a bit. I reminded him that the rest of the team was not playing on Smurf accounts and that we actually needed guidance to improve our play. He accepted this challenge and took on the roll of a positive team leader. We were able to win the game, which before the change, I don't feel we would have.

I am going to continue to play in Ranked games and rely on communication with my team to try and make up for my deficiency in competitive game knowledge and skill.
Normally, this wouldn't happen. You're a Red, and once he realized who you are, everything changes.

Zarthorn

01-03-2013

I always say supp/mid/top basically the 3 roles I do better at in order of best to worst.

The only role I absolutely cannot play for the life of me is Jungle, I'll make it very clear that I cannot jungle profiecently as soon as it looks like I could be going there, sooner would have them know that forcing me into the role I haven't played in the best part of a year is going to be detrimental to the team than them blaming me because I was forced to pick it because I didn't give out the relevant information.

diwa

01-03-2013

Quote:
Pretty interesting post about pick order on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege...mple_as_draft/

tl;dr: if everyone posts their top two roles, you are much more likely to get eveyone in a role that they are competent in.
Since players often posts there preferred roles in the draft lobby. Do you think it will help to have a one liner tip in that particular lobby like:

Tip: What's your top two preferred roles?

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

Follow Xin it to Win It on Twitter

01-03-2013
59 of 123 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
Since players often posts there preferred roles in the draft lobby. Do you think it will help to have a one liner tip in that particular lobby like:

Tip: What's your top two preferred roles?
I bet we could formalize this, a bit like we do with GLHF or GGWP.

For Example:

xin it to win it: What's everyone's TOP 2 roles and Champs in order of preference?
xin it to win it: We want to make sure we end up with the strongest team by getting the most 1st and 2nd choices.
xin it to win it: For me it's #1 Jungle (Xin Zhao) #2 Support (Leona)

nemofourteen

01-03-2013

Quote:
Not afraid of rage at all, more like I wanted to make sure I actually had enough skill at this game to play ranked.
wait, what do you mean? matchmaking will put you up against reasonable opponents regardless of how good or bad you are.

Sąmwise Gąmgee

01-03-2013

Lol, the GD forums still say the thread was started by riotbazner

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

Follow Xin it to Win It on Twitter

01-03-2013
60 of 123 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemofourteen View Post
wait, what do you mean? matchmaking will put you up against reasonable opponents regardless of how good or bad you are.
Playing draft mode requires you to know more than just 1 or 2 champions. Until you have reached that level of proficiency, ranked does not make a lot of sense as bans would possibly create a huge flux in your game-to-game performance. At my skill level I am competent with a champ for each roll and rarely get banned into a situation where I am playing a champ for the first time in a ranked game.

Basically I was not interested in playing ranked until I had a baseline skill level so that I would be able to improve in a meaningful way and not have huge swings in performance based on my main being banned, or my team needing me to play a role other than my preferred/primary one.

As a direct example, I did NOT play jungle at all before I played ranked, but I had enough mastery of game mechanics to quickly pick up the role when it became apparent to me that a lot of the pre-game lobbies lacked a jungler.

Does that make sense?

Postal Miku

01-03-2013

Never change your picture though
it's 2 gud

Spectre4802

01-03-2013

Quote:
What changed my mind was the realization that I have the ability to set a good example in game by promoting positive and constructive communication. This realization was tested in my second game when a high-skill player on a smurf account was paired with me bottom lane (I was Sona, he was Ashe). Initially he was getting frustrated by the mistakes that our team was making and was starting to rage a bit. I reminded him that the rest of the team was not playing on Smurf accounts and that we actually needed guidance to improve our play. He accepted this challenge and took on the roll of a positive team leader. We were able to win the game, which before the change, I don't feel we would have.
If more people followed this kind of thinking, League of Legends would have the best online community ever, period.

Maybe it's time for more smurf accounts to follow your example. They're getting pissed off at the atrocious state of Ranked? Maybe they need to step up and show the noobs and the teamwork-disinclined* exactly how it's done.

More people following this kind of thinking will lead to a better game and a better community, I know we can do it.

We just need a big, loud kick-start to begin the trend.

* I have no idea if this is a word or not, but it is now.