"The Hobbit" and "League of Legends"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PirateOnTheSea

01-03-2013

I agree, Im kind of bored of all these robots.
not that i dont like them, they are awesome =D
but I agree a come back in time would allow more .... diversity?

Ansaa

01-03-2013

In my opinion, League of Legends has always been a hybrid of magic and techmaturgy. We have champions that are just magical like Janna, and others who are useless without their technology, like Rumble.

I've always preferred the magic side, since I believe you can get much more interesting lore, abilities, and looks with that. Compare someone like Elise to someone like Vi, and decide for yourself who is more "creative".

With that said, I somewhat agree with Celebi, I would like to see some less steampunk Piltover/Zaun champions, and get something very different. Nearly all the champion in the league are humans, or atleast humanoid. I'd love something new like a warg, balrog, or felbeast.

The void is a great place for all of that, especially for a balrog. It is so ambiguous, they can bring whatever they want out of it and we'd all accept in just fine. Nobody seems to have an issue with whatever Cho'gath is, even if his entire anatomy is just completely insane!

Also lets not forget Riot never limits itself. They'll but their own creative spin on anything, and they can do anything. Taric, Renekton, Nasus, Kayle, and Morgana are all from seperate worlds. They can do whatever they want, so no one here should say "anything can happen" won't happen.

Even if they don't put their creative spin on things, I would absolutely love a typical Legolas archer-elf. I'd buy that guy instantly xD

(And for those of you saying buy Guardians of ME.... Don't! Its horrible.)

Celebi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by draygun View Post
what seems like the OP is asking for is more non-human classic high fantasy characters things like trolls, demons, cerberus, balrog kinda things but I feel like we sould take op's advce and look at what we have first
Nami-mermaid
Maokai-treant
Alistar-minotaur
Anivia-pheonix
Brand-Fire demon thingy (looks human-ish because he is possessing a man)
cassio-medusa
cho-classic monstrous bug thing
Elise- spider lady
fiddlesticks scarcrow
fizz-fishman
galio-gargoyle
hecarim-centaur
karthus-lich
Kha' zix-bug doom predator
kog' maw-other gross void thingy
malph-golem
Nasus-egyptian god dog
nocturne-dream eater ghosty
ramms-armadillo
renekton-gator
rengar- lion man thingy
shyvana-half dragon
sion-undead zombie
skarner-scorpion doom bug
soraka-satyr
trundle-troll
warwick-werewolf
xerath-magical power contained
zyra-plant lady
I omitted the yordles which are really just runeterra's hobbits and "futuristic" champs that are also non human i did include some characters that are non-human because they are part animal even if they are not traditionally high fantasy characters if i went pure high fantasy i would be able to include all knights, wizards, rouges, and archers. If you look at the list it is actually pretty long about 30 which is a little less that a third of champs sure there are some archetypes that are missing but i feel like there is still a fair bit of variety in non-human non-metal non-futuristic champs.
You have to keep in mind that the age and time in League of Legends is just nearly approaching technology, it is still a mix between technology and magic, which gave birth to techmaturgy and hextech technology. But the fact remains that they're still in an age of kingdoms, tribes and colonies. Their main weapons are still swords and magic. So it is only normal that the futuristic theme is the minority, but my point was that we got a lot of those recently, and it'd be nice for us to pick back up where we left off, our monsters, we need our mythical creatures, not half-humans like Cassio or Brand, I'm talking about pure monsters, sure orcs and such would be fine, but that was just an example, the original message is we need more mythology, pure dragon? Warg? Griffon? Balrog? Harpies? Sphinxes? Basilisks? Another egyptian god, Ra/Horus?

There's still a lot we're missing. And it's nice that we have a lot, but those count for about 28, and you added hybrids in there, Shyvana still looks like a human, and so does Zyra. They just have different costumes relating to their natures, dragon armor, leaves and thorns, those don't make you a monster, they just add diversity to the character, but when looking at it generally, Shyvana remains a humanoid. Zyra remains a woman. Does Rengar? Renekton? No.

That is my point.

Celebi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansaa View Post
In my opinion, League of Legends has always been a hybrid of magic and techmaturgy. We have champions that are just magical like Janna, and others who are useless without their technology, like Rumble.

I've always preferred the magic side, since I believe you can get much more interesting lore, abilities, and looks with that. Compare someone like Elise to someone like Vi, and decide for yourself who is more "creative".

With that said, I somewhat agree with Celebi, I would like to see some less steampunk Piltover/Zaun champions, and get something very different. Nearly all the champion in the league are humans, or atleast humanoid. I'd love something new like a warg, balrog, or felbeast.

The void is a great place for all of that, especially for a balrog. It is so ambiguous, they can bring whatever they want out of it and we'd all accept in just fine. Nobody seems to have an issue with whatever Cho'gath is, even if his entire anatomy is just completely insane!

Also lets not forget Riot never limits itself. They'll but their own creative spin on anything, and they can do anything. Taric, Renekton, Nasus, Kayle, and Morgana are all from seperate worlds. They can do whatever they want, so no one here should say "anything can happen" won't happen.

Even if they don't put their creative spin on things, I would absolutely love a typical Legolas archer-elf. I'd buy that guy instantly xD

(And for those of you saying buy Guardians of ME.... Don't! Its horrible.)
Thank you, now this is the replies I look forward to when I make these threads. Even if you're somewhat agreeing, you bring good points, and that's what I like to respond to.

Now back to the topic.

When you said the void is a great place for that, I've always seen the Void as a rift to space, that dimension that will handle and deal with all the aliens and monsters that don't fit in league, kind of like a gateway for Riot to have no limits on creativity. "Doesn't make sense? Let's make it come from the Void, no one can explain that."

So for a Balrog or Cerberus, I always thought Riot could tackle parts of Valoran that haven't been used yet, like earlier, when I said that the Fyrone Flats, who look like a wasteland with crevices and fissures in the ground, could just be passage to the underworld, or hell, or even just a magma chamber, where a Cerberus would reside, since Cerberus is the hell-dog guardian of the gates of hell.

Did you see in Lord of the Rings, where the Balrog resided? In ancient ruins, that were surrounded by voids in the ground, kind of like hell, the fact that he's made of fire makes him look like a true demon, kind of like Diablo. I attached a link of that video in my monster thread which is linked in my original post, but I'll just post it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywZ5uo_3Y_A

Dreamspitter

Recruiter

01-03-2013

Gandalf-er Veigar Wizard Style?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=2ICOkg5U0kM

Spiffyish

01-04-2013

Agreeing with you for sure, definitely like the stuff in your other thread.

Soulmy

01-05-2013

I understand you op but I think you are basing this a bit too much only on Vi, our latest release and are oblivious to other champions that didn't actually fit under futuristic type at all who were released recently.
Between Jayce, whom i believe you consider futuristic and Vi we got a spider queen, mermaid, ninja, monster, dark mage, plant (mage), beast man and a warrior using the power of the moon. Now i honestly don't find any of this characters futuristic or unfitting to already established original League of legends lore and theme and Riot does seem to take a lot of their resources from mythology etc. I think what troubles you is the fact they make their own versions and don't follow their inspirations to the book. It's not an imbalance when it was always supposed to be that way and LoL was never going for that medieval theme you like so much.

Anarchiszm

01-05-2013

Champions inspired from creatures and humanoids from the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings in League of Legends? Sign me up.

Balrog champion kgo.

Burzoorkar

01-10-2013

The Hobbit and LOTR had some pretty interesting archtypes some of which are covered in some way by league characters.

Wizard - Gandalf Sauruman
Necromancer - Sauron
Bruisers Fighters- Thorin and Dwarves
Bruisiers Fighters- Orcs
Melee assasins - Aragorn
Archer Assasin/ ad carry- Legolas and Elves
Stealth assasins- Frodo and Bilbo
Initators Tanks- Gimli

A few other often forgotten ones;
Bjorne the Werebear
The brown Wizard (forgot his name)- sort of a lulu..
The Goblin who created the warg riders and Ura Kai (Saruman's elite orcs with the white hand).