"The Hobbit" and "League of Legends"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MyDeadGrandma

01-03-2013

Kili , the young archer stud who looks like he should be an elf, rather than a dwarf is proof Riot is the only one who breaks the tone with over-sexualization.

Seriously, they do a good job with makeup on the other Dwarves, cept for him and Thorin.

RagnellRising

01-03-2013

What about nami? Mermaids aren't fantastical enough for you?

MigraƱaboy

01-03-2013

Meh wants moar Steampunk champs!

We needz Piltover map nao!

Deitrix

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmasta17 View Post
What about nami? Mermaids aren't fantastical enough for you?
Nami was good. I like Nami. Heck, Kha'zix was pretty recent and he breaks all-human mold a bit too by being a big purple scyther/perfect cell/mantis. I don't think Riot is ignoring fantasy/monster champs... I just think they're over-using the "mecha" and "tech" skins a bit.

But then fantasy vs Sci-Fi has ALWAYS been pretty divisive.

Amyco

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celebi View Post
There's nothing wrong with the recent line of champions, but when you look at the entire line-up, all of our champions, there's definitely an imbalance. You get 1 troll, 1 centaur, 1 half-dragon, 1 phoenix, and the rest is filled with humans, futuristic warriors and robotic entities.
I don't know if you purposefully forget those, but I think it's important you realize a LOT of other characters come from different mythologies... We do not have only those 4 creatures and other humans-and-robots.

We have...
1 fox-lady, from Korean/Japanese/Chinese mythology
1 minotaur, from Greek mythology
1 phoenix, as you mentioned
1 kind-of-gorgon, from Greek mythology
1 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde kind-of-character, from contemporary English folklore
1 spider-lady, from Greek mythology
1 mummy, from contemporary folklore, but Egyptian inspiration
1 gargoyle, from christian and French folklore
1 centaur, as you mentioned
1 skeletal Magus, from many different folklores
2 angels, from Christian and Hebraic mythology
A few alien-like creatures, from contemporary folklore
1 faery, from many folklores
1 golem, from Hebraic mythology
1 living tree, from many folklores, including the one created by your beloved Tolkien
1 dog-man, from Egyptian mythology
1 cat-woman, from many First Nations folklore
1 yeti, from contemporary folklore
1 alligator-man, from Egyptian mythology
1 half-dragon, as you mentioned
1 zombie, from Voodoo mythology
1 dryad, from Greek mythology
1 troll, as you mentioned
1 vampire, from many different folklores
1 monkey-man, from Chinese mythology
1 father-time kind of character, from many different folklores

Sure, it's not Tolkienesque, but does it have to be? You can't say they are not taking inspiration anywhere. I think the mistake you make is assuming they are straying from their Tolkien routes, whereas I believe they are simply following their mythology/cyber-punk crossover. I do agree, however, that they are recently straying more and more from the mythos to the logos and adding hextech characters after hextech characters.

EDIT: I forgot the 1 mermaid, from Greek mythology as well.

Deitrix

01-03-2013

^ This. Riot is not ignoring fantasy archetypes. They're just not sticking to generic fantasy where elves are all pretty, orcs are all savages and dwarves are all drunk. 100% acceptable.

Vagrant voice

01-03-2013

Strongly agree with this thread Hope you continue to bump until riot sees this

Celebi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyco View Post
I don't know if you purposefully forget those, but I think it's important you realize a LOT of other characters come from different mythologies... We do not have only those 4 creatures and other humans-and-robots.

Sure, it's not Tolkienesque, but does it have to be? You can't say they are not taking inspiration anywhere. I think the mistake you make is assuming they are straying from their Tolkien routes, whereas I believe they are simply following their mythology/cyber-punk crossover. I do agree, however, that they are recently straying more and more from the mythos to the logos and adding hextech characters after hextech characters.

EDIT: I forgot the 1 mermaid, from Greek mythology as well.
Which is my entire point, I only used the tolkien nature as an example, but I just want mythology and mythical creatures in general. I'm just sick of seeing hextech, techmaturgy and cyber champions over and over, we've seen them, it's been done, now Riot, move on, give us something fresh... The boxing champion was something a lot of us waited for, and while most of us waited for a gladiator wielding 2 Cestus, we got a rebel punk-style 20 y-o chick wearing half a tutu with thin arms and 10 ton Steampunk fists...

We were hoping for a boxing/fighting champ wielding something like this: Attachment 586333

If you need to be re-assured I only wanted monsters, more creatures and more diversity in champions, look at this thread I made months ago, surely what you see in there will convince you what you described is what I wish to see more of: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...php?p=26520777

Snakeblade

01-03-2013

Ive long felt league needed more steam punk and techy champs and i love to see more of those

Tulfrir

01-03-2013

LoL is science and magic combined with simple organic strength as well.