Help thread for players, answer by 1800s.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lolconk

01-03-2013

Hi Ken, question about rune pages.

I mostly play AD champ like carries, bruisers or ad casters. My fav page is flat AD reds-quints, mana regen / lvl yellows and mr/lvl blues. The / lvl stuff is mostly because ealy AP aint big deal and early skill spamming either since you get only a few skills with long cooldowns.

1. Is it a good choice for carries ? I like ezrael the most and hes kinda mana hog ... so I was wondering if the mana yellows are just a crutch i should get rid of and if the page is good in general.

2. How many rune pages / mastery pages you consider good enough before getting into ranked ?

3. I solo queue most of the time ... any tips ? I saw you recommend either AP mid or jungle for solo queue ... should I do that ? My main AP is veigar but i get countered/owned fairly easily in ranked.

thanks

Qsario

01-03-2013

Sorry to hear about your troubles

In terms of last hitting, are there any actual exercises you do to practice this, or is it a matter of going into a bunch of bot games and working on it over a long period of time? I main support so I have far less practice at it than most.

I know it's very important because I have a good feeling for whether or not we'll win within the first few waves of farming by comparing CS with the opposition. Every so often, I get someone with nearly pro level CS and I figure that all I have to do is keep them alive during teamfights, even if I blow everything I have to do it and we'll win the game.

But actually trying to do it myself is hard.

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolconk View Post
Hi Ken, question about rune pages.

I mostly play AD champ like carries, bruisers or ad casters. My fav page is flat AD reds-quints, mana regen / lvl yellows and mr/lvl blues. The / lvl stuff is mostly because ealy AP aint big deal and early skill spamming either since you get only a few skills with long cooldowns.

1. Is it a good choice for carries ? I like ezrael the most and hes kinda mana hog ... so I was wondering if the mana yellows are just a crutch i should get rid of and if the page is good in general.

2. How many rune pages / mastery pages you consider good enough before getting into ranked ?

3. I solo queue most of the time ... any tips ? I saw you recommend either AP mid or jungle for solo queue ... should I do that ? My main AP is veigar but i get countered/owned fairly easily in ranked.

thanks
1. Get armor, because you really need to have armor to fight against other AD carry or bruiser

2. Generally speaking you need at least 3 to work well, preferably 5 pages to cover all roles

3. My playing style is really leaning toward heavy AoE champions so that no matter how far behind my team is, I will still have strong AoE damage. This style doesn't fit for everyone, however, thus why I usually recommend champions such as Kennen, Anivia, Ryze who are strong in most situations.

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-03-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsario View Post

In terms of last hitting, are there any actual exercises you do to practice this, or is it a matter of going into a bunch of bot games and working on it over a long period of time? I main support so I have far less practice at it than most.

I know it's very important because I have a good feeling for whether or not we'll win within the first few waves of farming by comparing CS with the opposition. Every so often, I get someone with nearly pro level CS and I figure that all I have to do is keep them alive during teamfights, even if I blow everything I have to do it and we'll win the game.

But actually trying to do it myself is hard.
I never used bot games for practice, that is because in a real game, often time there will be some other enemy champions around you that will deny you creeps or harass you, thus why you should stay in normal games vs players while you are practicing last hit.

As for last hit tips, there are few core skills that you can practice or learn on.

First off, knowing how many turret hits it takes to kill a creep.

Majority of the time melee creeps can take 2 turrets shots + 2 autoattacks to kill it, while ranged takes 1 turret shot and 2 autoattacks (or 1, depending on your starting item)

This means that before the creeps run into the turret, you can often setup by hitting the melee creep once, so that you can one shot it after the turret hit it twice.

The other skill is to combine skills with farming. Skills such as Vayne's Tumble can reset autoattack timer and allow you to catch the cs that you would have miss. condemn is also viable but cost a lot of mana, so becareful

Finally you can practice by knowing the autoattack animation and speed. While champions such as Corki and Ezreal have a relatively fast autoattack animation + travel speed, some champions such as Anivia, Karthus, and Veigar have really awful and slow animation. Knowing them will greatly improve your chance to secure those last hits.

Duhizy

01-04-2013

congrats on 2000 man, this is probably one of the biggest and best threads to ever exist, hope you had a happy new year

Philipapw

01-04-2013

Any advice for Kennan? I've found you to be absolutely correct about his ability to not only carry games but also help in games where I've fed. Specifically I'm looking for game play mechanics that might help and builds.

I currently poke with an q-w-aa (stun) aa combo. When they are low I flash ult. Is this what you would recommend? I find his q easy to land.

Also do you think that ken support could be played as a counter to leona/ bltiz kill lane? Massive poke plus counter tools in his e/w/r.

I've followed this thread for a while and it has been massively rewarding. Ty so much for offering to give advice. I've gone up 400 elo (yes literally) by just doing what you suggest.

philipapw

ExecutionerK

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipapw View Post
Any advice for Kennan? I've found you to be absolutely correct about his ability to not only carry games but also help in games where I've fed. Specifically I'm looking for game play mechanics that might help and builds.

I currently poke with an q-w-aa (stun) aa combo. When they are low I flash ult. Is this what you would recommend? I find his q easy to land.

Also do you think that ken support could be played as a counter to leona/ bltiz kill lane? Massive poke plus counter tools in his e/w/r.

I've followed this thread for a while and it has been massively rewarding. Ty so much for offering to give advice. I've gone up 400 elo (yes literally) by just doing what you suggest.

philipapw

Usually I prefer applying a stun then apply a mark on the enemy with the autoattack passive. This way it allows me to keep a mark of storm on enemy at all time, for easier stuns in future cases.

As for Kennen support, it doesn't work. First of all Kennen is born to be squishy, so against kill lane support such as Leona or Blitz, Kennen will have a hard time surviving. Secondly, similiar to Morg support, Kennen support requires him to have some money to function properly (at least a zhonya), and in most cases you won't get money, while you are constantly pumping wards out.

rikoLash

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsario View Post

I k
I've heard about people who play against sivir bot and trying to get 90 cs by 9 minutes while keeping her below half hp without killing her. And also about playing against someone in mid against Caitlyn who places 3 traps. You have to get perfect cs without dieing and without getting hit by a trap.

Incubes

01-05-2013

KEN HELP ME PLEASE.!!!!

I need help dealing with bruisers mid. I did not have this problem last season before the new item changes that indirectly "nerfed" ap mids and directly buffed the bruisers top (aka league of cleavers)

But it appears that it is common for xin zhao, riven, pantheon, talon (had been too but is more popular), lee sin and kha zix to appear in mid lane and just stomp face.

I play mainly cassiopeia, karthus and now katarina mid. I was gonnna go talon but i failed as i thought if you cant beat them, join them lol.

Dont tell me to change a champ if thats your suggestion, I dont believe in variety.

Staying too passive is not an option, but poking at them is a bit futile as they are tanky in general. I played as eve that game against a riven, and one rotation from riven took away 75 percent of my health bar and i was playing hella passive. He had to go on a marathon just to reach me. He later tower dove me and my life was over.

This was never the case before, even if i was going against a "counter mid", i feel like i still have the chance to outplay him and can still win. Now its a different story.

---
People just say play passive or have your jungle camp for you... = = But I KNOW theres a way to deal with them, tiensinoakuma said it himself. I see him win lanes against panth as katarina.

Oh and i also go flask, 5 pots, 1 ward too... So i have a ton of sustain. Even went cloth 5 = =

Felt like thats the only route now.

Tl;dr -- i like playing cass, karth, katarina --

how to deal with bruisers with them -- more importantly how to outplay with katarina as i feel he is in a good position to learn more in

ExecutionerK

01-05-2013

Both Cass and Karthus are really weak against bruiser mid, however, Katarina should have no problem against the bruisers.

It is recommended to switch out the MR glyph as well as some of the mana regen seal into armor to make yourself stronger against AD bruisers. Since mid lane is so short, you should be able to stall the game out and just wave clear as much as possible when they push, or reset the minions on the turret relatively easy.

Now onto the important part:

Cass shouldn't have much problem poking the enemy AD bruiser down. Champions such as Pantheon and Talon have their weak point. For example, Pantheon's spear cooldown is short, but he is really weak and easy to kite as Cass especially during early level. If he choose to spear you once, you can probably land two Q and one autoattack, which will resulting in you winning the trade by a lot

Talon's early level is weak as hell. Until he gets his damage items up, he can never burst you from 100 to 0 down, so take good advantage of that and abuse his short range during early game. If he jumps on you, kite and do more damage on him, make him pay for every single move that he does, and by level 6, buy one pink ward so that you know where he will be when he is using his ultimate. Cass should be able to damage and burst him down unless he is buying MR, which will ruin his damage output.

Karthus is just a weak ap mid to gap closer, No real solution toward AD bruisers.

Kat's mobility is really strong, and her sustain DPS with W is high as well. The most important part about Kat VS bruisers is that you must stay right at the edge of your W's range. With the movement speed buff you can easily kite and deal more damage than the bruisers. You wave clear better than most AD bruisers and also have stronger teamfight. Do not let the lane limits your power.

tl;dr: AD mid got buffed but it is not to the point where AP mid have no solutions. How to make good use out of the early game advantage before the bruiser can abuse you is the key to victory.