Why is Ashe such a popular pick?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ScarfPilot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durentis View Post
I absolutely love Ashe, have been using her since the tutorial, and so far have been doing pretty well with her. I have died 9 times in my last 9 games (most of them avoidable).. all victories. And I tend to get a lot of buddy requests after games. However, I'm only a L13 summoner at the moment (and being paired with people several levels beyond me for some reason) so take what I say as you will but I don't see any reason thus far why my build/style won't serve me well through L30.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about her (likely I have my own) and guides I read are full of contradiction. In fact, even in the OP (as many guides) there is no mention of Hawkshot's passive. Ashe is self-feeding and if you capitalize on this you end up with a massive lead in gold for endgame items which in turns significantly helps your team reach victory. Rushing Avarice Blade into Statikk Shiv works awesome for me and I get it very early in laning yet the last guide I read responded to a comment to this effect simply with "No.", which is rather unfortunate, imo.

People are generally too focused on champion matchups in laning and I tend to take whatever lane I'm in rather than lose it despite not focusing on killing the opposing champs. I attribute this largely to careful zoning and stomping on opposing aggression. Her speed is rarely an issue as I start with the initial boots and by midgame have the +15 enchanted Ionian boots and other movement speed items. I also don't have to waste valuable laning gold on excessive amounts of health potions.

This focus on champion matchups pushes people to take Frost Shot over Hawkshot early on but this is counter to your role. You need to get gold early so that you are more effective in team fighting later. Attacking champions in the lane should be done only incidentally but at every opportunity. Be satisfied with small gains (such as forcing them to heal instead of gain xp/gold) rather than getting out of position and suddenly feeling slow and squishy. Ashe is very durable and fast enough if you maintain your positioning.

If you do lose a lane in a slow retreat, it's generally not the end of the world because you got what you needed out of the laning phase and didn't feed the enemy. Now you're ready to push with your team where required.

Her ulti is bloody amazing for team fights, random opportunity kills, and evasion all. Ashe needs to cap cooldown reduction but I suspect this is generally overlooked for AD and defenses. I used to get defenses when I was first learning Ashe but they don't help enough when you're out of position and they don't help your team offensively when you're safely in position.

I also take exception to summoner spells selected by most guides. I was looking forward to L12 for so long to get Flash until I realized I rarely had need of it for evasion and few times where it would be helpful in chasing someone down. I don't think it's bad, but I find Barrier more generally helpful to me. Heal/Clarity? No - use B. Ghost? No - stay in position and be happy with small gains. Teleport should be a required spell.. Ashe needs to be globally mobile - she's meant to carry the team, not a lane. Barrier (with good positioning) is generally useful for fending off bursts and occasional mistakes.

I get a lot of kills, but generally more assists. I wear the assists as a badge of honour and confirmation that I'm fulfilling my role. As I keep telling people in game, there are no kill steals in a team game (though it would be nice if folk know the investment/benefits of helping their carry feed while laning by backing off of last hits when they can).

Anyway, I pick Ashe because she fits my play style and is able to contribute very well to a team victory. Can't really speak for others. Sorry for the rambling.
smartest post i've read on GD in a while. Good luck young one


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Durentis

Member

01-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarPirate View Post
smartest post i've read on GD in a while. Good luck young one
Thanks.. and to you.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChiSqrd

Senior Member

01-01-2013

Reasons why I don't like her. Slow attack animation is annoying when last hitting. Short range when compared to more competitive ADC's which makes her q not as effective as it could be. Her e has a hella long cooldown if I remember correctly and you max it last so you don't get that much gold from it. Ult is slow as f*ck and easy to dodge when compared to other long range ults. Worst of all, no dash or blink.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cycIohexane

Senior Member

01-01-2013

She's an adc. Who happens to have a great initiation with her ult, and a permaslow. She is the master of kiting, if you're into that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChiSqrd

Senior Member

01-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxXJudasXxx View Post
She's an adc. Who happens to have a great initiation with her ult, and a permaslow. She is the master of kiting, if you're into that.
Nah, anyone with red buff and a dash or blink can kite pretty well and even better if they have Nunu's Blood Boil on. Phage or Frozen Gauntlet on Ezreal also makes him really good at kitting.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CORNBRE4D

Member

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DankChi View Post
Nah, anyone with red buff and a dash or blink can kite pretty well and even better if they have Nunu's Blood Boil on. Phage or Frozen Gauntlet on Ezreal also makes him really good at kitting.

Phage, Frozen gauntlet, Blood Boil, red buff and a blink with a cooldown were all the requirements you mentioned.

Ashe simply needs none of that to kite and she has more range then Ez, meaning she can just build her damage and GA. Perma slow the enemy, arrow disengage and catch people out.

No other adc has a form of CC remotely as game changing as ashe and that can't be ignored.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Martyrofsand

Senior Member

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durentis View Post
Thanks.. and to you.




The bottom portion of your post about assists and no kill stealing is what was good.

Maxing cdr, ignoring cleanse as a viable summoner, building static shiv and the like however proves your earlier statement about your own misconceptions. Ashe is an adc who happens to have a lot of utility in her kit. That doesnt mean she will build differently than other adcs, ie you want to focus on crit atk speed and ad using ga as your survivability and last whisper to get through high armor targets.

While her e is nice it is generally the ability you max 2nd with her w being first as it is your main means of survival in lane. When you get higher level and things like proper team comps team fighting as well as junglers and roaming mids really become a thing you will start to understand a lot more about the game, and why summoners like flash are require on almost everyone.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shadow Light M37

Senior Member

01-02-2013

That tutorial.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krypteria

Senior Member

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORNBRE4D View Post
Phage, Frozen gauntlet, Blood Boil, red buff and a blink with a cooldown were all the requirements you mentioned.

Ashe simply needs none of that to kite and she has more range then Ez, meaning she can just build her damage and GA. Perma slow the enemy, arrow disengage and catch people out.

No other adc has a form of CC remotely as game changing as ashe and that can't be ignored.
Actually your wrong when you say Ashe has more range than Ez,
Ashe: Volley: Range: 600
Ashe: Enchanted crystal arrow: Range: 20000

Ezreal: Mystic shot: Range: 1150
Ezreal: Essence flux: Range: 1000
Ezreal: True shot barrage: Range: 20000

Ezreal can easily counter Ashe by poking her to death at a much further distance while she barely touches him and not to mention Ezreal's Arcane shift which is basically a personal flash that can be used as a gap closer or to escape any bad situations and one of Ashe's counters are Gap closers because she has no get away abilities and she's a super squishy champion that cant handle being jumped on.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CholericLurch

Senior Member

01-02-2013

Ashe does a ton of damage early on, great zoning ability and great over all. Like all adc's they have to be fed so a great support is needed.