How do you guys feel about the Elo system?

It's fine. 7 21.21%
We need to at least TRY to find something different 26 78.79%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

I think Elo is a bad rating system.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CYRUS HDS

12-29-2012

I just think the loss forgivens should come back, depending on your score throughout the game

Guy on a bus

12-29-2012

Elo system is fine. It's a team game and you gain or lose elo based on how your team does. If you don't have a team don't play ranked, or take the chance. That's up to you. You can choose not to play ranked. You aren't forced into it. If you don't like it, don't play it. If you really think you do better on your own, then try twisted tree line instead. You make a much greater impact on the outcome of the game.

TheUndisturbed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2012

If Elo is to stay, I think it makes sense to reflect the individual player's rating, instead of whether actually winning the whole game. I used to play Dota in one country where one of the player initiated a modified elo system which takes into account of lots of the statistics (just like lolking, but elo better reflected the player's skill) K/D/A etc. Especially when lolking can now detect different types of role that one plays within a game, I think it makes sense that a computerised rating method of diff types of role can be implemented. Though a tough task, I think it does help people become better and reward good players.

TheUndisturbed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2012

Elo definitely does not accurately represent the person's skill because the currently it primarily accounts for wins/losses ONLY and not so much the K/D/A and other statistics that we can gather.

It makes sense that if lolking can differentiate our roles, then there should be a standard way in judging how good a player is in those respective roles. I used to play Dota in HK and one of the players implemented a very effective modified elo system to rank players, and it does reflect the better players (at least in the middle spectrum, not saying the top and btm)

MrMaynard

Recruiter

12-30-2012

The ELO system wasn't designed to rate people working in groups, it's meant to gauge individuals.

BruteKesk

12-31-2012

The current system is flat out terrible and the only excuse for not changing it is pure laziness. The idea that the elo system creates groups of people that are marginalized or inflated is not a new one but there are ideas on how to change it.
LoL currently monitors stats like damage done to champions, k/d/a, gold earned, healing done, etc. Instead of making changes on elo based on team performance, a system that could rank an individual performance on several critera to generate a performance rank relevant to all players in that game could be generated.
The individuals' performance rank is then scaled against their current elo to generate a reward or penalty for their individual performance.
A sysem like this would still be plauged by the fact that if the enemy team is fed your going to be forced down the ranking, but it gives a player a chance to mitigate the damages that would be done to their elo.
While it is a team game, your elo is an individual score, and the current elo system is the result of an unwillingness to change because it would be too much work. Many might think that LoL is too large to fail, but if a new game that is similar comes out that has a better ranking system, I can't say I'd keep playing LoL.

lFalse Kingl

12-31-2012

You are not most likely to win even if you're good. This elo system can't separate players by skills and the game is mainly based on team work.

Zykritch

12-31-2012

In my honest opinion.. the elo system is VERY innaccurate in the low elos. I have ran into some fantastic players in the low elo who still cannot pass an 1100 rating. In normal queues I personally get queued with 1500 elo players on a consistent basis.. Yet in ranked I'm at 1100. The reason? I had ****ty placement matches. I retained (in ranked) one of the highest kill averages in North America as Kassadin for a good 4 or so months.. being 13.4 kills per game and around 3.2 deaths per game.. In a matter of days mine has dropped to 11. I play AP carry mid.. and at 1100 elo my averages, kill-death ratios via lifetime totals and non.. are all higher than most platinum elo players and their own mains.. Yet I'm 1100 elo? I'm not the best player.. no.. not at all. I have plenty of room for improvement.. But there's a clear sign something is wrong when I'm queued with a 400 elo difference between ranked and non.

The placement matches -screw- people over in ranked. If you lose your first 10 or so.. I don't care how good you are.. it is nearly impossible to carry out of the 800-900 elo range because 9/10 games you get a troll, an afk'ers (if not two or three) .. or just someone who flat out SUCKS .. beyond belief.. I'm talking 2-17 thirty minutes into the game as ad carry or tank. I sincerely think Riot needs to consider giving people elo resets or 100 elo boosts every couple of month or so for those below 1200 elo.. Give them a fresh start. I played my first 10-15 games in ranked duo with an 800 elo player trying to help their stats when I had not yet formed my own. I currently have a lifetime total 9.2 kill-4.2 death average and at least 2x my kills in ranked.. I get fed nearly every game.. I gank top and bot lanes every game as a mid laner.. I almost always win my lane.. and yet I can NOT carry some of these teams. There is most certainly an elo hell.. And -good- players are stuck in elos they do not belong in. Elo resets need to be considered.

Nikkins

01-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteKesk View Post
The current system is flat out terrible and the only excuse for not changing it is pure laziness. The idea that the elo system creates groups of people that are marginalized or inflated is not a new one but there are ideas on how to change it.
LoL currently monitors stats like damage done to champions, k/d/a, gold earned, healing done, etc. Instead of making changes on elo based on team performance, a system that could rank an individual performance on several critera to generate a performance rank relevant to all players in that game could be generated.
The individuals' performance rank is then scaled against their current elo to generate a reward or penalty for their individual performance.
A sysem like this would still be plauged by the fact that if the enemy team is fed your going to be forced down the ranking, but it gives a player a chance to mitigate the damages that would be done to their elo.
While it is a team game, your elo is an individual score, and the current elo system is the result of an unwillingness to change because it would be too much work. Many might think that LoL is too large to fail, but if a new game that is similar comes out that has a better ranking system, I can't say I'd keep playing LoL.
What happens when you're doing stupendous and they ff at 20? You get less kills and less damage and less gold than you would normally. You would have to account for time then. And while I love seeing new ideas, I can't see how this one would work.

Guy on a bus

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaynard View Post
The ELO system wasn't designed to rate people working in groups, it's meant to gauge individuals.
I advise you to look up the elo system before you spout things that aren't true again. The ELO system was first made for chess, that's true but it was modified to gauge team play in many sports including soccer, football, basketball, baseball, and many online team play games. (like league of legends.)