Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2012

Ezreal, can we ever expect to see another melee carry? In the over 3 years LoL has been out we've only ever got one other one (Fiora), and all melee carry viable is highly questionable--not only this, it's the most ignored class in the game (only 3 characters total; GP got morphed into a fighter long ago), and they're all the most homogenous group in the game; they all have sustain, an AD steroid, gap closer, survivability steroid, and an MS/AS steroid (tryn has an AoE slow and crit chance instead), and some form of low to moderate AoE damage---additionally, all 3 are sword users.

Are we doing to have to wait another 3 years to get a melee carry or wait until another major game overhaul for melee carries to be viable or should melee carry enthusiasts just move on?

Akuni

12-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezreal View Post
Replies to pages 621-625.
Yes, I fully expect that we will do this some day (directional shields for damage mitigation). Also, that's a pretty crazy awesome idea for the psionic mage. I'll have to think about that more to figure out how to make it feel great.
Most likely a Passive/Active ability would feel the best. You want to make this shield feel like protecting you so having passive mitigation is a given. Now, you want to move it to create angles against certain plays while opening other sides for counterplay. Making the shield move randomly around you feels horrible as with all random mechanics so the active part is a given too.
Now, mitigation is always weird when it comes to balancing. It's either strong early and weak late if it only migrates flat numbers or a flat percentage or too strong if you make it scale (See: Poppy). I wish you best of luck finding the sweet spot there when balancing but I'd say having a flat value mitigation with a scaling component like current mana in the reverse direction of Poppy would work the best - Ex: You have a base mitigation of 80 + 0,25% of your ap but the lower your mana get's, the weaker the shield get's. It would open up counterplay since the enemy had a valuable way to weaken your shield: Dodging your skills and bringing you oom.
When it comes to the active, it should feel like a clutch escape. The cd should be fairly long to make you think about the usage and the shield shouldn't travel instantly but with a slight delay. As an extra goodie there are several ways to make that active feel good besides the 'oh I mitigated some damage by moving my shield'-part. It can block skillshots when active, it can double the given mitigation - you name it. I'd also vote for the shield to be fixed again after activation due to: Being hit by an enemy attack, pressing the button again and/or exceeding a certain timeframe to create strategy and counterplay - Ex: Shoot a skillshot to the right so the enemy has to adjust his shield against it. Voilá you created an opening at the left side of your enemy which you can use within the cd timeframe.

Just...throwing in ideas, you know :3 Keep up the good work Ez. I still love you for creating Vlad <3

Eruza

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2012

Hey Ezreal, I'm going to start of by saying Final Fantasy is my favorite set of games ever. On this note, consider the Red Mage: useful in offensive magic, defensive magic, and swordsmanship; but a master of none. Now consider the recent new unique passive "Spellblade" and see where I am going with this. A melee champion with an AD and AP ratio kit (not on the same skills) that relies on using spell effects modifying his auto to sustain in lane and deal damage. And I'm not talking about Yorick.

Saikaici

12-30-2012

Quote:
Well, we have a number of guidelines when creating new champions, though we haven't always followed them. For example, I wish we found a way to better integrate Vayne into Demacia. She still doesn't feel very Demacian to me.
Vayne definitely gets the feel of not having any particular homeland. As a player, I don't feel like this detracts from her background, as she's more of just a night hunter is just awesome. She's obviously not noxian, but if she identified as demacian in a quote it would feel forced.

So I think she's okay.

Emcee

12-30-2012

did i just go back in time!? ZILEAN HOW DARE YOU

AxeFresh

12-30-2012

Angus is coming, prepare your grills

Porkcchop

12-30-2012

Ezreal, will we ever get a voodoo, shaman, or witch doctor inspired champion?
Witch Doctor from Diablo 2 and DOTA 2 are some of my favorite classes/heroes I've ever played.

Splontot

12-30-2012

Any chance for some AP Ez loving in the coming... decade...?

lcronovt

12-30-2012

My Idea of a rework for Garen's Q(Decisive Strike):
It would be a 2 phase skill when active it increase his movement speed like normally do but when hitting a target instead of silence he would knock up the target, and player may press again Q making Garen jump like he is doing with his normal Q dealing additional damage and knocking down the target.

This would make more interesting and fun to play.

Doctor Swole

12-30-2012

hey ezreal remember me ?

i asked you for your autograph
i was like ez can you sign my boob
but then it turned out i was a guy and you were like do not want for a good minute irl before replying
it was in an aram