Which of these do you consider inappropriate?

"you ks'd me you stupid n-gger" 678 86.04%
"sorry for being such a n-gger, lol" 519 65.86%
"you ks'd me you stupid f-ggot" 624 79.19%
"sorry for being such a f-ggot, lol" 435 55.20%
"ur f-cking gay" 596 75.63%
"lol that was gay sorry" 235 29.82%
"kennen ur a ******" 520 65.99%
"sorry for being such a ******, lol" 251 31.85%
"I raped you so hard" 437 55.46%
"sorry, I got raped mid" 164 20.81%
None of the above 77 9.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 788. You may not vote on this poll

(Initial Results Posted) Google Poll on Offensive Language in LoL

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lokiorin

12-29-2012

An important thing for me is the difference between what I type and what I say to my friends. I normally play in a Skype chat so I am constantly talking to my buddies as I play. While I won't typically type something like "**** man, we'd be winning if not for our mid" or "That Teemo is a ***** *****" I will normally say things like that in my voice chat. My buddies do the same and it is a general understanding that we are expressing our annoyance to each other and that none of what we say has any real value or meaning.

Brennivin

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowevil View Post
Sorta sad. Can't believe some people think that they're entitled to making others feel bad.
In my perspective, it might be because they don't understand the pain these statements or words can bring, because they haven't been victimized or bullied in this category.

Now I know that people try to justify the use of offensive language, for example: "Rape," with other definitions, but that in my opinion just counter-arguing to avoid having to accept you're wrong. In a general sense, how many people (Or rather, YOUNG people, considering the age majority) think "an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation," whenever the word "Rape," is brought up?

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennivin View Post
This poll is really disappointing, but thanks for compiling the data.

EDIT: Add an "All of the above," option to the poll?
Would be a good idea; unfortunately, I can't edit the poll after it's been posted.

However, since it's a "check all that apply" sort of poll, you can just check all the boxes (except "none of the above").

RiotDerivative

Data Scientist

12-29-2012
1 of 2 Riot Posts

This is a very interesting analysis. Thanks for sharing!

Keep in mind that some of your results might be surprising because you are working with a biased sample (participating bias). Your sample consists of LoL players that read the forums, and that found the interest to click on you survey. Also, you should not be shy about tossing out entire surveys from respondents that are obvious trolls.

Some comments about your analysis:

Quote:
"This was surprising. Do 17% of people really use "n****r" in-game? That seems high."
This does not necessarily mean that the word is used in 17% of games, just that 17% of respondents have used it at one point or another (they may have changed their ways).

Quote:
About 25% of respondents currently use one or more of these words, but are rethinking their use of language in-game.
This is great! I found it interesting that people reconsidered their use of the word "******" but not some of the more inflammatory words.

If you did not do so already, you should probably throw out the responses on this question for anyone that said "None of these" for the previous question. You should also throw out any responses that answer "None of these" for this question AND mark one of the other answers, as they are invalid.

Quote:
For each of these words, it seems that about half of the playerbase is not "okay with" their use in-game.
This makes sense, though I am surprised that in 2012 the word "gay" as an insult is still found to be as acceptable (to this sample) as "******" and "raped". Though in an ideal world, nobody would use any of them. ;-)

The responses for "unacceptable/acceptable" words is kind of startling. Though, there could be a troll bias, and age may be a factor (the most common age in the sample is 16 and younger).

Quote:
Do you autopunish for any words?
51% of respondents do not autopunish for any word. This is powerful because to me that means that a player-supported system like that Tribunal is better than a computer program that might automatically punish someone based on their choice of words.

Note that many people that chose "I do not autopunish for any words" probably also selected "I do not autopunish for any of these words." Additionally, there is troll potential on this question as well.

Quote:
I'm guessing that most of those "other" responses came from people who actually do identify as male or female.
As you mentioned, they are most likely trolls and their responses can be tossed... but it is true that some people do not identify with either ***.

Would be cool to see the differences between male/female and age (such as "teenager", "college aged", "adult" etc.) as that might explain some of the more startling results.

@Lyte would be interested in seeing this.

NJ Gamer

12-29-2012

Not enough game context means i can't answer this poll.

Croki

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotDerivative View Post
This is a very interesting analysis. Thanks for sharing!

Keep in mind that some of your results might be surprising because you are working with a biased sample (participating bias). Your sample consists of LoL players that read the forums, and that found the interest to click on you survey. Also, you should not be shy about tossing out entire surveys from respondents that are obvious trolls.

Some comments about your analysis:

This does not necessarily mean that the word is used in 17% of games, just that 17% of respondents have used it at one point or another (they may have changed their ways).

This is great! I found it interesting that people reconsidered their use of the word "******" but not some of the more inflammatory words.

If you did not do so already, you should probably throw out the responses on this question for anyone that said "None of these" for the previous question. You should also throw out any responses that answer "None of these" for this question AND mark one of the other answers, as they are invalid.

This makes sense, though I am surprised that in 2012 the word "gay" as an insult is still found to be as acceptable (to this sample) as "******" and "raped". Though in an ideal world, nobody would use any of them. ;-)

The responses for "unacceptable/acceptable" words is kind of startling. Though, there could be a troll bias, and age may be a factor (the most common age in the sample is 16 and younger).

51% of respondents do not autopunish for any word. This is powerful because to me that means that a player-supported system like that Tribunal is better than a computer program that might automatically punish someone based on their choice of words.

Note that many people that chose "I do not autopunish for any words" probably also selected "I do not autopunish for any of these words." Additionally, there is troll potential on this question as well.

As you mentioned, they are most likely trolls and their responses can be tossed... but it is true that some people do not identify with either ***.

Would be cool to see the differences between male/female and age (such as "teenager", "college aged", "adult" etc.) as that might explain some of the more startling results.

@Lyte would be interested in seeing this.
I love your name

Google

12-29-2012

Google sure has lots of opinions

cpmd4

12-29-2012

Enjoyed reading your results. Good thread.

Kord

12-29-2012

"Gay" as a synonym for "stupid" is pretty "stupid" imo but it doesn't surprise me since most of the respondents are 16 and below

TitansOfWar

12-29-2012

The way I see it, you can refer to yourself in any type of derogatory term you want to without it being offensive.

"Yeah lol I bought 3 gp10s, im a jew deal with it"

Is not anywhere near as offensive as

"Nice gp10s you jew, bet the moneys just rolling in"

Jew isnt really offensive anyway, but replace it with any other derogatory word and the point remains.

"Ur" I would ban for though. Every time. God I hate kids.