The Lore department's direction has destroyed the lore. It's over.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Drunk Sejuani

12-27-2012

Plain and simple. Gonna just state statements now.

They will say "We are still trying to figure out how to present the lore" and the response will be "It has been almost a year." And then repeat it. "It has been almost a year." And then when the full year goes by, you may repeat it again. "It has been an entire year." And then they're gonna close this thread, or just move it somewhere else, like they always do with stuff they've decided they're no longer going to talk about.

Meanwhile, other writers get a week or two to come up with stories. A month, tops. The Riot Lore staff has had A YEAR.. Absolutely unacceptable. I had to explain why Riven reforms her sword a few days ago. Amid a list of silly reddit/4chan answers, I gave the reason Xypherous gave for her reasoning. The OP said that was exactly the kind of answer he was looking for and that he missed the lore.

Everyone has forgotten what Riven is. What her story is. Yes, they care, and they want what her story is, but a certain group of individuals in charge of presenting Lore has failed to give that.

So, it's over. Everyone has now pretty much unofficially accepted that the Lore is gone and forgotten. There's no Lore team, there's no upcoming Lore, nothing. The most we will get is two paragraphs of some vaguely linking story, like Diana and Nami. That's pretty much it.

That's it. There's really no other way to say this. There's no longer any room for "just wait." There is only "sorry we ruined the Lore." That's all that can be said now.

Ask Tyrant Swain

12-28-2012

Pretty much.
Also, I don't know why they threw away the judgements and the JoJ.
Those were both unique and fresh ways to deliver lore. I never saw any other game deliver lore in that way, and I liked it.
My guess is that they are either doing a huge lore overhaul, or nothing. Probably the second one, but a man can dream.

Nightlynx

12-28-2012

the thing is, the more champions that are random and not affliated appears, the harder it becomes to tie in all the lore...

Nami popped out of the ocean all of a sudden, Zed and Zyra appears for no real reason, so on and so forth.

In fact Darius is the only new champions that can be properly explained in the lore, seeing as Darius is a war commander of Noxus and had served under Swain, who last we knew rose to power in Noxus a year ago. So it makes sense if Swain would send him out as a champion for the Noxian cause.

Draven can't really be explained though, lol, and it's really hard to tell why would he come to the League, other than oooh look at my flashy killing styles wham. His lore even says war is not enough to satiate his thirst.

Kha'zix and Rengar are just two random wandering hunter/predator that suddenly wants to come to the league just to "brush up their skills" and eventually off each other. No contribution to a game wide lore, but quite awesome individually.

There's so much potential, yet so little developed because they gave up. Piltover's sudden increase in champs, Ionia's sudden increase in power hungry champs......

the League started out as a way for the countries to fight it out but now it seems like anyone and everyone can do join...

Ask Tyrant Swain

12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlynx View Post
the thing is, the more champions that are random and not affliated appears, the harder it becomes to tie in all the lore...

Nami popped out of the ocean all of a sudden, Zed and Zyra appears for no real reason, so on and so forth.

In fact Darius is the only new champions that can be properly explained in the lore, seeing as Darius is a war commander of Noxus and had served under Swain, who last we knew rose to power in Noxus a year ago. So it makes sense if Swain would send him out as a champion for the Noxian cause.

Draven can't really be explained though, lol, and it's really hard to tell why would he come to the League, other than oooh look at my flashy killing styles wham. His lore even says war is not enough to satiate his thirst.

Kha'zix and Rengar are just two random wandering hunter/predator that suddenly wants to come to the league just to "brush up their skills" and eventually off each other. No contribution to a game wide lore, but quite awesome individually.

There's so much potential, yet so little developed because they gave up. Piltover's sudden increase in champs, Ionia's sudden increase in power hungry champs......

the League started out as a way for the countries to fight it out but now it seems like anyone and everyone can do join...
The League, as explained by Brand once, is not what it says it is.
They probably want as many champions as possible, and will not shy away from a chance to add anyone they come across and they deem strong enough to do so.
The champions probably have reasons they joined, it is Riot's lack of interest that makes the situation senseless.

Who says that Draven didn't join the League because of the fame and flashing lights? Possible, but not confirmed.
Who says that Kha'zix and Rengar weren't approached by the League's summoners and offered a place in the League, with promises of powerful pray? But once they joined they figured out that the pray doesn't stay dead permanently, and now they can't get out.
Possible, but not confirmed.
Who says that Nami didn't wonder Valoran for months before meeting up with a human, who pointed her to the League, because the human didn't know any better? And there she was offered help, but once she joined there was no going back.
Possible, but not confirmed.

What the lore lacks is confirmation. Anything is possible, there's a lot of room for speculation, but if they don't confirm anything, then it didn't happen.

NecroticBinder

12-28-2012

I have two theories as to why the lore died, they are not mutually exclusive.

The first theory is that someone in charge of the lore, or at least financing decided that the lore wouldn't bring in a profit for the company so they cut back the funding for it and told them to back off. Of course, the problem with this theory is that, that is a very silly idea because if you make a world you can get a profit indirectly from being able to use it. (See: World of Warcraft and all associated lore, including the warcraft games). It's a theory and a possible one.

The second is that they have set their standards for hiring people to write the lore too high (Have I mentioned I hate the word to/too/two?) meaning that the only people they can hire are those with a history in the field but the problem is that the only people with history are those that aren't very well liked (Kitae. I say this because of the mass effect 3 thing) for the most part which leads to worse lore because if someone writes good lore and has a history in the field, odds are they are staying where they want.

Now for less on-topic ranting.

Quote:
The League, as explained by Brand once, is not what it says it is.
They probably want as many champions as possible, and will not shy away from a chance to add anyone they come across and they deem strong enough to do so.
The champions probably have reasons they joined, it is Riot's lack of interest that makes the situation senseless.
This is true. The difference between the old lore and the new lore is that riot hinted at the league being a corrupt organization attempting to gain power and influence over champions for itself. It was never explicitly stated but it was hinted at that being true. With the new lore, there are no such hints at all.

KiteMeGood

12-28-2012

This my friend is what we call a dork age

Nightlynx

12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteMeGood View Post
This my friend is what we call a dork age
What's wrong with liking a good fantasy story?

I don't even play league that much anymore, just poke around looking into the stories here and there and goofing around in co-op games...

TheMeta88

12-30-2012

Im atleast happy they stopped confining Champion lore to two paragraphs.

That said they still don't explain much. A lot of new champions just don't make sense. Why are you in the League?

Nami is saving her people. Better dick around in a human institution that doesn't help my cause.

Vi fights crime. Better stop doing that and go yank Cait's panties at her night job as a "champion".

They are making a lot of lore it seems but they are not explaining WHY these champions want to join the League. I thought that was the point of the Champions personal lore? Or did I forget that that lore is only supposed to be how they became the person they are today?

If you are going to do that you still need to explain why they joined the League. I agree with what some people are saying.

Riot Lore department has had a lot of time to fix this and just hasn't. Its getting to the point where for you to finally answer these questions then you will have to release a MAMMOTH! Just impossibly HUGE amout of lore to answer all these questions.

To this day Syndra still stands as one of the most...wrong champions in the League. She hates being controlled. So she enslaves herself to the summoners?

Riot please fix this.

Kanon Azai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Tyrant Swain View Post
Pretty much.
Also, I don't know why they threw away the judgements and the JoJ.
Those were both unique and fresh ways to deliver lore. I never saw any other game deliver lore in that way, and I liked it.
My guess is that they are either doing a huge lore overhaul, or nothing. Probably the second one, but a man can dream.
Yea I agree. I loved logging on to see there was a new JoJ. But hey, lets keep dreaming. Whenever I mention something about the lore, no one ever has a clue what i'm talking about. A little sad but eh, life goes on.

Kaprison

12-30-2012

Hi guys, this is off topic but I'm trying to share the love by helping you guys out.
If you want easy free prizes for many many games as well as LoL then enter this into your URL .... copy and paste or click have fun
>>>>> https://epicfreeprizes.com/?ref=1992879
Totally worth it! If you don't you're missing out!