@RiotDerivative Introduction?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Best Philosopher

12-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotDerivative View Post
Greetings Summoners!

I am RiotDerivative and I am a Data Scientist at Riot Games. I was hired back in October and have finally gotten around to answering some data related posts. I see some people doing some cool stuff with data on the forums. That is how I got started in my field -- pulling interesting data and doing something with it. In my case, I used to crawl Twitter and Facebook and analyze tweets and FB profiles and the connections they exposed.

A little about my background if anyone is curious. I went to UCLA and majored in Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science. I continued onto grad school at UCLA and continued studying Statistics and Computer Science (I decided proofs were not for me) and am currently a Ph.D. candidate in Statistics at UCLA. Hoping to be Dr. Derivative this summer.

The title "Data Scientist" is relatively new in industry (about 5 years). It is a mix of a bunch of different disciplines: mostly data analysis, statistics, machine learning and computer science. Where, say, a Data Analyst focuses on analyzing data, and a Statistician focuses on predicting the future, a Data Scientist has experience in the entire "data" process. We write code to extract data in hard to reach places such as by scraping, web crawling, parsing XML/JSON/HTML and by working with "big data" packages like Hadoop. Then we analyze and visualize the data for consumption by others and build models that explain trends in play, player behavior and how to make the player's LoL experience better. Finally, we work with engineers to turn these models into scalable code that actually makes decisions and has effect on the game. In all of this, my specialty is in text mining and training computers to understand written text. The biggest thing that distinguishes a Data Scientist from a Data Analyst or Statistician is extensive programming and algorithms experience.

Before joining Riot, I worked in the web ads industry trying to use data to get people to click on ads. It wasn't for me. I had heard a lot about the work that Riot was doing in the Big Data space and how interesting the data sounded. I contemplated applying online, but was worried that I did not have enough LoL experience. Oddly enough, a day or two after I last looked at the job notice, I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn and the rest is history. In my case, they looked more at my interest and passion of working with the type of data generated by games and their players than my overall gaming experience. Most of my gaming experience was in simulation games such as Sim City, Tropico, etc. I also played a lot of Angry Birds and for a couple of years was majorly addicted to Zynga games like Farmville and CityVille. While playing those games I became intrigued by the type of data

TL;DR Graduated from UCLA, do cool stuff with data and developing algorithms to make the LoL experience better. :-)
Idk how, but you made math actually sound useful -_-

Cyanide Velocity

12-27-2012

Quote:
Greetings Summoners!

I am RiotDerivative and I am a Data Scientist at Riot Games. I was hired back in October and have finally gotten around to answering some data related posts. I see some people doing some cool stuff with data on the forums. That is how I got started in my field -- pulling interesting data and doing something with it. In my case, I used to crawl Twitter and Facebook and analyze tweets and FB profiles and the connections they exposed.

A little about my background if anyone is curious. I went to UCLA and majored in Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science. I continued onto grad school at UCLA and continued studying Statistics and Computer Science (I decided proofs were not for me) and am currently a Ph.D. candidate in Statistics at UCLA. Hoping to be Dr. Derivative this summer.

The title "Data Scientist" is relatively new in industry (about 5 years). It is a mix of a bunch of different disciplines: mostly data analysis, statistics, machine learning and computer science. Where, say, a Data Analyst focuses on analyzing data, and a Statistician focuses on predicting the future, a Data Scientist has experience in the entire "data" process. We write code to extract data in hard to reach places such as by scraping, web crawling, parsing XML/JSON/HTML and by working with "big data" packages like Hadoop. Then we analyze and visualize the data for consumption by others and build models that explain trends in play, player behavior and how to make the player's LoL experience better. Finally, we work with engineers to turn these models into scalable code that actually makes decisions and has effect on the game. In all of this, my specialty is in text mining and training computers to understand written text. The biggest thing that distinguishes a Data Scientist from a Data Analyst or Statistician is extensive programming and algorithms experience.

Before joining Riot, I worked in the web ads industry trying to use data to get people to click on ads. It wasn't for me. I had heard a lot about the work that Riot was doing in the Big Data space and how interesting the data sounded. I contemplated applying online, but was worried that I did not have enough LoL experience. Oddly enough, a day or two after I last looked at the job notice, I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn and the rest is history. In my case, they looked more at my interest and passion of working with the type of data generated by games and their players than my overall gaming experience. Most of my gaming experience was in simulation games such as Sim City, Tropico, etc. I also played a lot of Angry Birds and for a couple of years was majorly addicted to Zynga games like Farmville and CityVille. While playing those games I became intrigued by the type of data produced by players and how it can be used to improve the game.

TL;DR Graduated from UCLA, do cool stuff with data and developing algorithms to make the LoL experience better. :-)
....So.. you're a Wizard....

But seriously, it's really cool to see some stat people actually get out of the basement and make their presence known!

AscleiP

12-27-2012

I was forced to choose between Statistics and Mechanics in high school, I chose the former, but I still have nightmares about it. . .

One area which I think will benefit form your expertise is the Tribunal, I think with your involvement, it will evolve into something much efficient.

Cheers,
D.

ScottyRawr

12-27-2012

Quote:
Greetings Summoners!

Before joining Riot, I worked in the web ads industry trying to use data to get people to click on ads. It wasn't for me. I had heard a lot about the work that Riot was doing in the Big Data space and how interesting the data sounded. I contemplated applying online, but was worried that I did not have enough LoL experience. Oddly enough, a day or two after I last looked at the job notice, I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn and the rest is history. In my case, they looked more at my interest and passion of working with the type of data generated by games and their players than my overall gaming experience. Most of my gaming experience was in simulation games such as Sim City, Tropico, etc. I also played a lot of Angry Birds and for a couple of years was majorly addicted to Zynga games like Farmville and CityVille. While playing those games I became intrigued by the type of data produced by players and how it can be used to improve the game.

I used to love CityVille xD. Welcome! ^.^

How is UCLA? :3

Ringo Mandingo

12-27-2012

Quote:
Greetings Summoners!

hi im ringo mandingo nice to meet you

MelonBalla

12-27-2012

Would you say that as a Data Scientist, you are more interested in what data tells us about large trends and patterns in the behaviour of a large population, or the tiny details/unique links that can be found in data such as unexpected behaviour patterns in a small subset of a population?

Kënfrot

12-27-2012

Nice!!! Awesome work. You sounds liek hte rioter who works with the data to better the matchmaking systems, tribunal, ect?

Kziki

12-27-2012

Out of curiousity, have you started to play the game a bit more after being hired? I hadn't thought about it till now, but not every Rioter can be a dedicated gaming type, so how many pick up League after starting to work with Riot? I would expect at least an account and a couple games, but are there any employees who just don't play? Could it be considered a gateway game into more serious things like WoW or such to people who've never touched a game before getting acquainted with League upon being hired and finding they like it?

I find the idea of working at a games company fascinating for the sheer diversity involved with the employees. One would expect an employee to be at least somewhat involved with the end product, but in terms of games not everyone who would traditionally work in even a software company would play. As you say the things Riot was doing apart from League were what drew you to them originally, I would assume there are a number of cases like that. I'm not sure why I see it as interesting how working for Riot would affect them differently than if they worked at a non-entertainment software company, but I do.

Nicksiren

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-27-2012

Quote:
Greetings Summoners!

Welcome to the forums! Excited to see what you can bring to the game for us!

Zuko Prince

12-27-2012

Oh GOD !!!!!!

It sounds like this data scientist will be digging into what we say in text chat in game and seeing how it makes us lose/win. He will come after me for b*tching at my team for face tanking turrets.