Dear Riot : here's the community wishes for the new year

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prkl8r

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Huh, is this really a thing people are interested in? Does this seem too plain to be a skin for her? It's fairly similar to her base crossed with the Iron Solari skin. Do you see that as a problem or does that sort of costume swap fit into what I've been describing? I'd be interested to see if anyone else expected what you expected as well.
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I LOVE that armor design. Iron Solari is by far my favorite leona skin (I have them all). I love that armor though, it has the same feel of like...an evolved, upgraded, next tier Leona that just entered badass mode. All I can say is that I would probably pay legendary prices for that as a skin.

I love the idea of having skins for each champion that retain the basic principles of the character (color, style) but have like a next tier, boss mode feel. Another example could be like Corki but instead of his rickety plane he has a super sleek and clean flying machine, not a jet, but just a sleek flying machine. Or a Diana with a bit heavier looking armor to match the Solar skin.

Some champions even already have skins that gives this feel. Tryndamere has the Viking skin that gives him a next level feel.

spicygochu

12-26-2012

Quote:
Huh, is this really a thing people are interested in? Does this seem too plain to be a skin for her? It's fairly similar to her base crossed with the Iron Solari skin. Do you see that as a problem or does that sort of costume swap fit into what I've been describing? I'd be interested to see if anyone else expected what you expected as well.
I didn't expect it to be a skin for the reason that it was too similar to her base.

I don't think I would pay 520 rp for a skin like that, because I'm attached to Iron Solari and something would have to be better than Iron Solari to get me to use it. Similarly, I would guess that people who buy the newer legendary skins tend not to buy 975 skins for that same hero. The amount of work a legendary skin takes is probably one reason for their limited release, but I think that because it makes future skins pale in comparison is another reason that they can't be released as often. Costume changes would have the same effect, in the opposite direction.

I think it depends on the champion. I think this could be good financially for Riot and pleasing to the players if you release costume changes for some of the champions who get played the least with skins, and give trouble to the design team.

I think almost everyone would agree to a 700~ rp skin if it were for Lux. You can tell just from the response to the steel legion skin, which honestly has an awful costume, but awesome bells and whistles.

In the end I think all we would still prefer the whole shabang.

Nasdrovia499

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Yorae View Post
Got it from another and yet similar topic. Things that were being gathered and asked to be reviewed in s3.

1) Runes:
● Review on costs and cost/effect/type relation. Fast example: Quints are usually the best runes, or are close to the best of each type (like, AD for Marks, HP for seals and MR for Glyphs), but in the case of Flat HP5, Seals (the main rune type for this status) is WAY weaker than quints. There are many other odd relations.
● Review on Rune Combiner.

2) Champions's:
● Persistent Bugs: Some champions still loses target after using skills. They stop chasing, stay still without attacking and so on... that started with Hecarin Patch and still happens.
● Quality of life changes: Some champions that use skills to imbue next attack have a considerable delay after landing it.
● Some time already we don't have Old Champion's price reductions... ===> Taken care of already!!! Check Announcements!!!
Heimer... (link leads you to a topic with some quality of life changes suggestions)

3) Game Client:
● Possibility to change keys and other option settings from the menu. Very useful on shared PCs.
● Possibility to turn on other's champions voices (move, clicking a target and so on). Would make the game way more immersive, but may increase lag.[/LIST]

4) Itemization:
● Mages are lacking a decent Tenacity item. They could use Mercury Treads, but they are the only "class" that needs to use a boot slot to increase damage (it's the only "off focus" boot*). Maybe a improved Moonflair Blade? Why not move the boot's pen to other item? Maybe increase Abyssal Radius, add some Pen to Malady or Lichbane or even increase the existing pen on the Mask?

*: Boots could be sorted into the following pairs:
a) Defense: Armor + Auto Attack Resist (Ninja Tabi) and MR + CC (Skill) Resist (Mercury Treads)
b) Offense: Attack Speed (Berserker Boots) and "casting speed" (Ionian Boots)
c) Move Speed: Constant high Move Speed (Boots of Swiftness) and Temporary very high Move Speed (Boots of Mobility).
d) Sorcerer's Boots: all alone here without a pair, making it very important for mages and limiting their choices for boots.
Thanks for that input, I'll add it to the list

n00boxular

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2012

Can you add NA to EU server transfers?

Apollinarius

12-26-2012

Quote:
Hey, I didnt see anything about skins on here so I have an odd question.. It's something that's been on my brain for a while.. Recently, as a lot of people have noticed, our quality of skins has gone up, including sometimes near reworks of entire champions when we produce skins. We do custom animations, particles, and a lot of other features. It's a big improvement from what we refer to now as "color swaps", when sometimes skins were just palette changes, or maybe small geometry tweaks on the model at most.

Oh yeah, my question! How do you guys feel about "costume change" skins. Maybe not so much entire sweeping thematic shifts, but maybe just s different treatment of basic look, outfit or armor. Being on the skins team off and on, I really love taking our characters to the nines. One things I've noticed is that sometimes, depending on the champion, some champions can accommodate really incredible and compelling themes, or have real estate for a lot of visual change, and have huge opportunities for particle changes or custom animations, etc, However, sometimes i feel some can't, that's opinion though. Also, sometimes I feel as though champions might just need what basically comes down to a "costume change" to give some new flavor, or something simple and novel. It's a not the greatest term, but I can't really think of something better to use to refer to something that sort of, at most, geometry changes and maybe minor tweaks in other areas.

What are some thoughts on this? This is entirely a curiosity of mine, and this is no promise of any such content, but I'm always looking for opportunities to bring interesting content to players, and I'm wondering if maybe a "lower" tier of what I've described above is of interest.

AGAIN! This is no commitment to features, I just genuinely am interested in feelings about this stuff. I have no idea nor any opinion on pricing or any of that, I'm interested in what sort of themes are appropriate, what scope such skins might encompass, and what players feel about what equates to possibly a less packed piece of content than the current lot of skins in terms of VFX, animation and other features.

So, whaddaya think?
Yes, yes and more yes. Would you believe me if I told you that the only reason I still don't own Leona although I'm a support main is because I don't like any of her skins? If there was a version of Leona with very plain looking armor and shield (no spikes, funny groves or lines, just plain metal plates, painted or gray) I'd snap her up right away.

KingSpadeIX

12-26-2012

Quote:
I think the helmets on the mural are cool and little things like adding a cool helmet would be something id buy a skin for. (think how much fuss there was about the Diana skin change....)

Also id love a taric skin that covers his face. If taric had a badass helmet to cover his man flo id buy that skin. Also a slightly smaller more streamlined weapon would be nice as well. (he is on my list of champs that need a in game rework right next to sivir).

Nchi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-26-2012

Quote:
YES. For the cheaper price point of course. Crimson akali is one of my favorite skins due to the simplicity of the change. Outfits are nice and all, but having that recolor option should really be available.

The major issue I see is that yes, the different shield is cool, but how many skins would we wind up with if this was made a reality? That's the only real concern, and I think for SOME champions it can at least be used to have a base number of skins, around 4.

A major point for recolors would be the splash arts... Old recolors that use a palette swap in the splash are unacceptable. Definitely aim for unique splashes (crimson ) and that's all there is to it. Recolors are cool. Green scarf ftw.

IronStylus

Sr. Concept Artist

12-26-2012
12 of 15 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prkl8r View Post
Well, I can only speak for myself, but I LOVE that armor design. Iron Solari is by far my favorite leona skin (I have them all). I love that armor it has the same feel of like...an evolved, upgraded, next tier Leona that just entered badass mode.

I love the idea of having skins for each champion that retain the basic principles of the character (color, style) but have like a next tier, champion mode feel. Another example could be like Corki but instead of his rickety plane he has a super sleek and clean flying machine, not a jet, but just a sleek flying machine. Or a Diana with a bit heavier looking armor to match the Solar skin.
That's another thing that interests me, the x2 or x10 scenario for skins. Is taking a champion's base theme and bumping it up a level or two cool? Artistically, it's pretty easy to do, but I can see how players might be like.. "Uh, that's just a fancy base, I feel cheated" or "Shouldn't this just be the new base?" I'm wondering if that'd be the case.

Yes, personally I'm also cool with "upgraded" versions of champions, it's something that I'm not sure we know how to do just right whilst managing expectations.

Welp, if you do like that armor design and want to see it as a skin, make a thread/poll and see how people respond =D

ToxicRatt

12-26-2012

How about a stance on pick order vs. calling?

Hoodcatz

12-26-2012

How about another Volibear skin?