@Reds - Dominion Ranked in Season 2?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HaIfhearted

11-28-2012

To me, "The implementation is done on the back side" combined with the lack of ranked right now basically tells me "all the framework is ready to go, but we are unwilling to actually do it for some reason".

Hopefully that reason is "waiting for S3", but if its not.... yeah.
Expect disappointment. And then some.

KaWraith

11-29-2012

I think dominion s going to get a TT style relaunch, and hopefully they will throw in ranked to sweeten the pot.

I don't think this is going to coincide with Season 3. I hope it happens before Season 4.

Damieh

11-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaWraith View Post
I think dominion s going to get a TT style relaunch, and hopefully they will throw in ranked to sweeten the pot.

I don't think this is going to coincide with Season 3. I hope it happens before Season 4.
Exactly. Anyone who thinks that ranked dominion will happen in season 3, think again.

It's so sad, I've been waiting for this for so long. Eff this =(

HaIfhearted

12-25-2012

Bump for great justice!
Welcome to Season 3 preseason, where Kassadin is still op and Teemo is running rampant everywhere.

Not sure why Riot is so scared of ranked Dom.

It would be GREAT if we could at least get an official statement on the matter.
If it's not going to happen ever, just tell us so we can stop asking.

R Sterling

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaIfhearted View Post
Bump for great justice!
It would be GREAT if we could at least get an official statement on the matter.
If it's not going to happen ever, just tell us so we can stop asking.
Amen.

radicalratx

12-25-2012

I don't see what's so bad with making everything Dominion automatically ranked. Like no unranked, or put it under custom or something. Everyone is ranked internally anyways.

Give people an option to hide their rating or something if they want or hide all ratings below some threshold. Make win/loss ratio visible only to the player or something.

So many online competitive games have W/L, KDR, ratings, etc visible to everyone. I really don't see why this is an issue.

Also, ggwp Half; I was that botlane Lol'Gath.

NamKim

12-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalratx View Post
I don't see what's so bad with making everything Dominion automatically ranked. Like no unranked, or put it under custom or something. Everyone is ranked internally anyways.
Ah, this is one of those things that Riot does reply to in detail. Next to IronStylus's essay on Female Sexualization and flipping tables for something (which is odd considering GD makes a bigger deal about stuff that are not as important and wasn't even an issue until a few a weeks ago...no, seriously, GD complains about so many things and so many of them are small stuff that Riot occasionally talks about vaguely. We have been wanting ranked Dominion since the beginning and Rioters don't even talk about it vaguely).

The reason is because even if you play to win, you kind of want a mode where you can really relax in. For a lot of people, they want the highest elo they can get. If you knew every game counted towards your publicly visible elo, you would try hard every game and rarely get the chance to experiment.

For example, I really respect TheFeedski. Say that Dominion is purely ranked now. I ask TheFeedski if he could play with me. He would probably say no because I am considerably less skilled than he is. The game would be frustrating since he is playing with significantly less skilled players.

For an example in an example, an "Example-ception," imaging you were an ADC on SR. Your support is less experienced and barely knows the basic of supporting. He buy wards, but rarely uses them for not knowing where to place them. He lacks map awareness. He also does not know how to harass the enemies without getting killed himself. The support is not a bad person, s/he is genuinely trying their best. But for you, it's a frustrating experience since you know if you lose, you lose elo. This eventually makes you into a try-hard and you will probably lash out at the support eventually.

The problem is that when you play ranked, your mentality changes.

A lot of this came from Zileas, who was a pro-level/professional Starcraft player back in the day. He mentioned that he played more "fun matches" that didn't affect his ladder ranking than ladder matches. I think he said it was a 2:1 ratio between the two.

So, Riot will never do what you suggested since they really did think that through. They even did an entire patch to remove the ability to see hidden elo. You know during that massive server issue that lasted days during Father's Day? I'm almost convinced that Riot was trying to make it so you couldn't see your hidden elo but referred it as "weakness in their security." If I'm right, Riot went that far just to prevent people from looking up hidden elo.

To be honest, I may support the cause of getting Riot to implement ranked, but I would probably not play ranked a whole lot since I am a casual gamer who will always prefer a loss with fun people, than a win with rude people.

You could say that custom games could be the "screw around" mode. But the whole point of the matchmaking system is that you are placed into teams where you should technically have a 50% chance of winning. I made a pre-made game with TheFeedski and three of my friends (haha, I don't have friends...I'm sad now...). The other team is made up with regulars of the DD Tournaments...a little exaggerated, but gets the point across.

tl;dr: Riot likes the idea of having a casual normal mode. Which is why they made that patch so lolmatches could no longer get our hidden elos.

Qantas

12-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brackhar View Post
Depends on how things shake out balance wise really. The implementation is done on the back side, but we want the map to have a chance to mature enough before we flip the switch.
Just make ranked Dominion only available as 'Team Ranked'. That'll work fine because Dominion is pretty much teamwork from the get-go.

suddenZenith

12-26-2012

@ NamKim

The thing is normal dominion could be casual mode and ranked could be more competitive. At the moment casuals are mixed with competitive at lower elo which is not great.

There is a dedicated competitive community for dominion, I find it pretty sad that they can't have some kind of competitive environment. League of legends is a balanced pvp game, you can't keep competition out of it. Might as well embrace it and give us a ranked matchmaking.

HaIfhearted

12-26-2012

@NamKim since when did I EVERY say that ranked should be the *only* mode in Dom?

suddenZenith has it right, we would have normal blind pick for the "for fun" guys and ranked for people who want to seriously compete with others or want to track their standing compared to their peers.

Right now Riot hasn't even given our competitive-spirited Dominion players an environment to thrive, so people like myself who want to play seriously are *forced* to play normal blind pick with all the non-commpetitive guys.

Draft is dead, so don't even try to bring that up.
If I could get a guaranteed draft pop within even 40 minutes, I'd play the hell out of draft.
Sadly, I can't.

We need a ranked solo/duo queue environment, and that is why I'm bumping this thread.