Is permaban always the next step after 2 weeks?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kwurty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-25-2012

Some background - I've been a player for 2 years, and I've been banned 3 times over the past 3 months. 3days, 1week, and 2 weeks. After the 2 week, I've tried to better my attitude. However, at higher elo, people get REALLY aggressive with the report button. Just my previous game I got two reports(assisting enemy team) because I did really badly. My question is, when I get banned, will it be a permanent ban? I'll be really upset when I see all my 2 years of work go to waste.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

12-25-2012

Since all permabans are done by Riot after a thorough review, there's no guarantee of that. The next time you wind up in the Tribunal with a majority voting to Punish, you could get a permaban, or just another 2 week ban, or a shorter ban, or no punishment at all. It's completely at their discretion and is based on whether they think you're still capable of reform.

Also, this should go without saying but I'll say it anyway: you should never, ever feel as though bad behavior cannot result in a permaban just because you haven't been through the full gauntlet of 3d-1w-2w bans. Riot can single accounts out for banhammering at any time regardless of how long or short your rap sheet is. Anyone who shows up here and says "I didn't even get a 2-week ban yet but Riot permabanned me" should not expect an outpouring of sympathy.

Koelio

12-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwurty View Post
Some background - I've been a player for 2 years, and I've been banned 3 times over the past 3 months. 3days, 1week, and 2 weeks. After the 2 week, I've tried to better my attitude. However, at higher elo, people get REALLY aggressive with the report button. Just my previous game I got two reports(assisting enemy team) because I did really badly. My question is, when I get banned, will it be a permanent ban? I'll be really upset when I see all my 2 years of work go to waste.
Let us say you do end up in the Tribunal and the Tribunal votes to punish you. My understanding of how things work is this:

1. Punish verdict read by automatic system.
2. System checks what last punishment was.
3. System sees 2 week ban.
4. System forwards your account and case to Riot employees as it cannot punish.
5 . Riot employee reviews your entire account history.
6. Employee decides on punishment. Can be warning all the way up to permaban.
7. Anything less than permaban, punishment is issued.
8. If permaban it gets forwarded to another employee for review.
9. If second employee agrees then permaban issued to your account.

Enterti

12-25-2012

If you need any advice on your behavior please post your reform card. I would be happy to take a look and give some reccomendations.

Shelzin

12-25-2012

Quote:
It's best to think it's going to be a perma after a time ban.

With that said... If you lose all that work over the last two years you have exactly one person to blame.

Lord Saur0n

12-25-2012

Yeah usually they don't give you a second two week, but that's from personal experience....

I think i had 1 day then 3 day then 1 week then 2 weeks then they've had it with me by then and it was year 2281 lmao...

Better keep low profile from now on bro.

NynaeveaM

12-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koelio View Post
Let us say you do end up in the Tribunal and the Tribunal votes to punish you. My understanding of how things work is this:

1. Punish verdict read by automatic system.
2. System checks what last punishment was.
3. System sees 2 week ban.
4. System forwards your account and case to Riot employees as it cannot punish.
5 . Riot employee reviews your entire account history.
6. Employee decides on punishment. Can be warning all the way up to permaban.
7. Anything less than permaban, punishment is issued.
8. If permaban it gets forwarded to another employee for review.
9. If second employee agrees then permaban issued to your account.

Can you get me official source on that?

gnfnrf

12-25-2012

Quote:
There are two different forces at work here.

First, there is Tribunal decay. If you play for a long time without any Tribunal activity (no cases, and no more than the average player's number of reports) your punishment level will drop. This would completely eliminate the immediate risk of a permaban.

However, this takes more than just not getting punished, you need to avoid being reported above a certain (unknown) threshold. It also takes a long time. Nobody knows the exact specifications of punishment decay.

Second, if your punishment level does not decay, and you are brought before the Tribunal, and you are punished, Riot still must sign off on your permanent ban. However, circumstantial evidence suggests that they usually agree with the Tribunal in such cases.

So, the best answer I can give is "Not always, but usually."

OhBoyItsaMegaman

12-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnfnrf View Post
First, there is Tribunal decay. If you play for a long time without any Tribunal activity (no cases, and no more than the average player's number of reports) your punishment level will drop. This would completely eliminate the immediate risk of a permaban.
Again, I feel I should point out that there is no such thing as completely eliminating the immediate risk of a permaban. If you do something way over the line and someone sends in a support ticket about it, just one instance is enough to earn you a permaban regardless of your history within the Tribunal. The post-game report system and Tribunal are not the only way that people get banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnfnrf View Post
Second, if your punishment level does not decay, and you are brought before the Tribunal, and you are punished, Riot still must sign off on your permanent ban. However, circumstantial evidence suggests that they usually agree with the Tribunal in such cases.
What's the reasoning behind this? I'm genuinely curious. As far as I can determine, if someone has received a prior two-week ban and then ends up punished by the Tribunal again, when Riot disagrees with the verdict and issues no punishment, neither the accused nor the judges would ever know about it. So what circumstantial evidence are you referring to?

BrightNooblar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NynaeveaM View Post
Can you get me official source on that?
I don't have a source for you, but I'm also fairly sure riot hand reviews permabans. I also recall reading a thread where someone previously receiving a 2 week ban, got a warning on their next offense due to a long period where they were reformed between cases, That link should be in one of the stickied threads, I think.