Players who are too into League.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sadaharu168

12-24-2012

what is meta? *i just started yesterday!*

Lil Cuddles

12-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DankChi View Post
I like to have fun when playing this game. Having fun for me means winning. Winning means playing the meta.
If you can only win a game by playing the Meta then maybe its not your teammates who aren't any good, its you...

The true measure of a good player is someone who can go outside the usual and still be successful. Now unless its just completely dumb, then there is no real reason to rage about it as so many people do.

An example I know is in 3v3 many like to go to the bush next to the movement buff... this seems to be the 'meta' but its really a pretty terrible strategy as most of the time it ends in everyone dying or one team getting wiped. If its your team then its stupid.

So many champs have 'cookie cutter' builds and some people don't understand that trying something different is okay. I see so many people who rage about someone not building the 'cookie cutter' way. For example I wanted to try out AD teemo once and I was raged on because someone tried to sit there and tell me AP teemo is the ONLY way to play him... I got raged on before for playing Zyra support... nevermind the fact she makes a great support and was used as one in the World Finals...

OP you are spot on... if people want to get mad in normals then they shouldn't play it, simple as that.

Lil Cuddles

12-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
You're playing against bad players, then. Once you start playing against strong players at higher levels, you won't be able to stray as far outside the meta, simply because the meta is the best way to play.
While this is true, in normals I rarely find a team that is so good within the Meta that trying something differently would just be an epic failure... I'd say 9/10 games going outside the meta won't cost you the game... its usually just player skill.

adc

12-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Cuddles View Post
If you can only win a game by playing the Meta then maybe its not your teammates who aren't any good, its you...

The true measure of a good player is someone who can go outside the usual and still be successful. Now unless its just completely dumb, then there is no real reason to rage about it as so many people do.

An example I know is in 3v3 many like to go to the bush next to the movement buff... this seems to be the 'meta' but its really a pretty terrible strategy as most of the time it ends in everyone dying or one team getting wiped. If its your team then its stupid.

So many champs have 'cookie cutter' builds and some people don't understand that trying something different is okay. I see so many people who rage about someone not building the 'cookie cutter' way. For example I wanted to try out AD teemo once and I was raged on because someone tried to sit there and tell me AP teemo is the ONLY way to play him... I got raged on before for playing Zyra support... nevermind the fact she makes a great support and was used as one in the World Finals...

OP you are spot on... if people want to get mad in normals then they shouldn't play it, simple as that.
AD Teemo is bad, not because "AP teemo is the only way to play him", but because he doesn't have anything an ADC needs.

A. He doesn't have good positioning. His W is /okay/, but any other carry with mobility outclasses this.
B. He doesn't have range. Lowest of any ADC, to my knowledge. And if it's not the lowest, then Sivir is the only one lower.
C. No survivability spell AKA he's squishy as ****. Sivir has her E, and a long range poke.
D. No long range poke.
E. No steroid. He doesn't scale late game. The top tier ADs all have something that makes their attacks stronger, or makes them attack faster, etc. Teemo has nothing (his E is so bad without AP it doesn't count).

So yeah, AD Teemo is pretty lackluster.

Lil Cuddles

12-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
AD Teemo is bad, not because "AP teemo is the only way to play him", but because he doesn't have anything an ADC needs.

A. He doesn't have good positioning. His W is /okay/, but any other carry with mobility outclasses this.
B. He doesn't have range. Lowest of any ADC, to my knowledge. And if it's not the lowest, then Sivir is the only one lower.
C. No survivability spell AKA he's squishy as ****. Sivir has her E, and a long range poke.
D. No long range poke.
E. No steroid. He doesn't scale late game. The top tier ADs all have something that makes their attacks stronger, or makes them attack faster, etc. Teemo has nothing (his E is so bad without AP it doesn't count).

So yeah, AD Teemo is pretty lackluster.
I'm not saying I'd do it in a ranked game or anything... but the point is I did a lot of reading on opinions for AD teem, a lot of people support it and a lot of guides are written for it... but regardless people shouldn't have the mentality that 'If you don't play my play style then I'm going to rage on you' in a normal game... like I said I was trying something out and just seeing it for myself.

TaisisKitty

12-31-2012

iv added OP and most of the people who agree with him/her its good to see not everyone in this community is a raging metasheep. im hoping to make a team that's not afraid to have fun in normals. ranked is a different story but normals are for fun so if i want to take a so called "mid" champ top or bottom for instance i will,if i feel like brakeing meta i will raging will only get you muted.

Jayfeather

12-31-2012

If I had to say one thing about this it would probably be that just because it's normals you shouldn't be taking your team into a loss. If you're going to play Ashe top lane your team mates are going to have an issue because you are borderline trolling with a terrible pick like that. So, if something is mildly viable like Malphite bot - fine, that's good. Just don't try to ruin the game completely for your team just because it's not ranked.

Etelle

12-31-2012

I generally don't break the meta myself, but often when I play with friends they'll try new and unusual strategies. But we only do that if we have a five-man premade. I think the meta is extremely valuable when you start up a game with four complete strangers. A minute or so before the action starts is nowhere near enough time to work out new strategies with people you've never played with and of varying skills and play-styles.

The meta provides a predictable strategy that is flexible enough to deal with the human element of five strangers coming to the game with their own ideas while creating a stable and effective method where, despite having never played together, each person has an idea of what the others will do. That makes it easier to work with a team of strangers successfully.

That's not to say that breaking the meta with strangers will always fail, but not everyone will be as flexible as others, so adjusting to a new strategy that one is uncomfortable with can be a struggle. Misunderstandings can cause frustration, and that generally makes the game less fun.

Akimasu

12-31-2012

The meta is the meta because the meta is the meta.

The meta is an evolutionary process in which will continue to change, evolve, and alter as time goes by. When I started players were still sending 2 top 1 mid 2 bot...then suddenly people figured out the jungle is worth it! and learned how to handle 1v2 lanes without giving the gold advantage away ultimately winning the game in the long run...

Then people figured out the brilliant strategy of 1 top 1 mid 1 bot, since now we have people trained in handling 1v2 lanes - people who didn't do this had no way to combat the 4v1 or 4v2 ganks that happened from the roaming gank squad. This seemed like a wonderful play style, and in tournament it was shown to still work fairly well in this current meta - although the team who played it is one of the best in the world.

Then we went through random phases..and now we're inbetween some oddball bruiser meta, and the, now seen, traditional 1 bruiser/tank top, tank/bruiser jungle, ap mid, 0cs support, and ADC bot.

Metas change, they'll continue to evolve while this game continues to be played. There is no such thing as best, there is no strategy that will always win in all scenarios, there are no guarantees. Players will continue to refine their playstyles. Throwing a player in the jungle and going 2 bot 1 mid 1 top was considered throwing the game away just a couple of years ago. Not having a roamer was considered ridiculous just a year ago. Imagine how this meta will change in just another year.

We're already starting to see the popularity of Kill lanes, 0 CS APs bot, and double bruiser bot rise. Seeing more ADCs going top or mid lately - Seeing more bruisers mid. Who knows what this season will bring.

As for being "too serious" being linked to feeders - I never think feeders are serious. They joined the game to troll, and simply don't care. Just report them and move on.

IF4LL3N

12-31-2012

Simply put, normals are practice/fun mode.

If it's not ranked, I don't give a damn if you want to run a 5 man group down middle from level 1 until endgame, as long as it's enjoyable and everyone has a good time then it's all good to me.

Either practice champions you don't have a total grasp on or goof off, as long as you're not trolling and ruining the other players time then I don't see an issue with anything that goes on in normals.

cheers!