The more I look at it, the more it seems like Runaan's a noob trap...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FrozenChinchilla

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
It "scales" with AS.

There are far better items than Runaan's if you want AS. Like ones that increases crit %'s.
None will scale headshot nearly as much though.
To be honest it shouldn't be used on Cait though.
Teemo and Urgot sure.

Farranor

12-22-2012

It may not have any AD, but it has lots of attack speed and an on-hit booster. So, for example, instead of Cait's passive hitting harder, it'll hit more often, still resulting in more damage than happened before the item. Of course, if you wanted to find out exactly how much better or worse it is than a comparably-priced AD item, you'd have to do the math, as the DPS boost (absolute boost, not just percentage) provided by AS varies with how much AD one has.

It's pretty entertaining to use on Graves, making E have almost no CD.

Ginga

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSSB Lunaspike View Post
Kog has 710 range with Bioarcane barrage.

I'm not saying it is a good item, but consider what you just said. If they are close enough for him to hit them then they are too close. So when exactly is he supposed to even deal damage?
You're missing the main idea.

In general, if you can actually hit opponents at once with Runaan's, THEN they will be too close. The reach of his two extra attacks won't go beyond your target, it will hit anything within range of your actual AA and lower.

In the nearly impossible to achieve situation where all 3 targets are lined up in such a way that all 3 are at your max range, Runaan's is awesome. But that almost never happens. In order to hit 3 enemy champions, 1-2 of your targets must be past the range of your chosen target.

The problem is obvious.

1) You're play ADC wrong. The ADC is supposed to hit the safest target and DPS, to achieve what I described above, you're bypassing the safest target just to hit someone behind the two other enemy champions. Who will most definitely jump onto you and insta-gib you.

2) If you play ADC correctly, that means you will be hitting the most optimal target, the one you are safest attacking, which is almost always the closest target. Even if you run up a little just to pick a a 1 hp target running away, that hardly makes use of Runaan's effect.

ValderiusRex

12-22-2012

Rushing it is a noob trap because you'll attack really fast for no damage per shot.

Getting as your 3rd or 4th item on a champ like Cait or Varus is amazing because you'll do tons of AoE damage in teamfights.

PrincessDerpy

12-22-2012

Poster does not know how Runaan's spreadfire actually works.

Hint: It's a 300 unit radius around the target unit, not a 300 unit radius around yourself.

Ginga

12-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeVan View Post
Great for clearing minion waves?
There are better options.

Either you play a champion whose kit has a built in AoE ability. Or you get yourself that Statikk Spark.

The few AD Carries who want to farm a lot and lack a decent way to clear waves effectively do NOT want to buy Runaan's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValderiusRex View Post
Getting as your 3rd or 4th item on a champ like Cait or Varus is amazing because you'll do tons of AoE damage in teamfights.
I already explained why it wouldn't be that great an item on those two.

Gespens

12-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga View Post
PS - what champion would be good with Runaan's? From my analysis, the champion would need to be both ranged and tanky enough to be relatively close to the enemy team.

Utili-got seems like the only candidate.
Runaan's is a situatioal item that might work with a proper team comp.

For example, a protect the kog comp.

Ori mid-- bring them together
Malphite/Cho top/jungle -- keep them together
Nunu support -- buff Kog and keep them slow
Kog with runaan's scores a penta kill

NewbornZyntax

12-22-2012

I would get BT PD IE before considering Hurricane...
Good on Cait, passive is up a lot more often from what I've been told.

I do "rush" it on support Ashe though. For le aoe slow. And then get BC after that for aoe armor reduction.

Ahri Main

12-22-2012

its great midgame and shreds teamfights. being honest you will almost always hit 1-2 other people with your hurricane because people typically focus one person at a time and get clumped up

Pobbes

12-22-2012

Hurricane isn't a noob trap, but you really shouldn't be building it on ADCs except urgot, kog and twitch. On teemo or varus it works better wit a non ADC build.

Urgot - Hurricane just works very well because his on-hit utility which makes him so tanky, and the fact that hurricane doesn't benefit from crit, but Urgot prefers more straight AD anyway.

Kog - Basically, has the best active on-hit affect in LoL and more is always better. I would still build hurricane after an AS item that grants more move speed like statikk or PD.

Twitch - Similar to Kog, this should not be your first AS item, but the benefit of spreading more stacks of deadly venom is always excellent. I believe it does help in teamfights with his ultimate making for an amazing pop of expunge.

Teemo - Hurricane is better when you build AP/SP. Basically, you build haunting guise, malady, and hurricane followed by deathcap. With this combo, Teemo can pull out his mushroom stealth ambush for double kills. It really helps with his teamfighting as well, but the teemo is still squishy.

Varus - Build similar to Teemo to take advantage of this item. His AP hurricane build can actually end up doing more damage per attack then his AD build this way, but only when hitting three targets. This really excels in teamfights however. Mixing hurricane autoattacks in between his abilities to detonate blight stacks on three champs at once during teamfight is stupid OP. On the downside, most teams don't want an AP Varus, but it is a viable build.