"Unbalancable by Design"

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 17
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Anthropics

12-20-2012

Alright I'm about to go into a little bit of a rage mode rant here so here we go. Balance patch notes are up, and we're seeing that Riot intends to nerf Talon and Riven. Fine, whatever. I don't agree with the extent of the nerfs, but that's not what this is about. This is about Blitzcrank, Mumu, and Shen all getting off scot free in the patch notes.

Again. The fact of the matter is...wait for it...
These champions are almost always picked or banned. They are broken.

There's no excuse for this. These champions kits are not inherently unbalanceable.. I invite anyone who says so to look at Vladimir. Resourceless champion with infinite sustain, inherently impossible to balance by nerfs to numbers alone. At least, that's what people were saying when Vladimir was released, then nerfed to trash tier, then slowly buffed and adjusted over time with varying success.

And here we stand today. Nobody is crying for Vladimir nerfs, and nobody is calling for Vladimir buffs. I would go as far as to say he is one of the most balanced champions currently in the League. With minimal mechanical changes to his kit, he was balanced solely by finding a good balance between his numbers and the innate power of his kit.

Shen was garbage when I started this game, despite his ultimate being more or less the same. Yet players will often point to his ultimate as something that makes him "unbalanceable by design", when in fact that very same ultimate was not enough to save him from the scrap heap without excessive buffs due to how energy starved he was and how pathetic his non ult skills were.

Blitzcrank was never picked when I started. He had very high mana costs, and overdrive resulted in an "underdrive" speed debuff. There weren't any noticeable complaints about Blitzcrank either.

Amumu has always been broken in season 2 and 3, but was under the radar for a while due to how difficult season 1 jungle was for him to clear and his being a terrible laner.

All I'm asking is for an attempt to be made to balance these champions. Champions do not need to follow a homogenous cookie cutter formula to be balanced; characters like Vladimir are proof that delicate number tapping can eventually result in balance despite innate kit power. I want to see a lot more numbers in patch notes than I currently do, rather than promises of reworks in a year.

Give Heimer a small buff while he waits for his rework. Give Sion one of his AP ratios back. Give Xerath some more damage on arcanopulse. Reduce the cooldown on Karma's mantra. Increase Brand's damage on his passive. I frankly do not care. We do not need to leave champions in a state of being clearly broken or clearly useless for a year while we sit twiddling our thumbs for a rework. It is not hard to change numbers in the coding as a temporary fix while you look for a better solution.

hes op

12-20-2012

Vlad is still broken

Jumpster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

Blitz shen and amumu arent broken, people just dont know how to counter them.

The Bushmaster

12-20-2012

You'd better be careful with that sense making after what happened to the last guy that made sense.

We don't talk about that guy.

Elchulus

12-20-2012

almost always picked or banned =/= broken

Your logic falls there.

tenrel

12-20-2012

blitz isnt unbalanced by design. he is unbalanced because his numbers are bonkers.

he is perfectly nerfable. they just ignore him.

Anthropics

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenrel View Post
blitz isnt unbalanced by design. he is unbalanced because his numbers are bonkers.

he is perfectly nerfable. they just ignore him.
That is exactly what I'm saying. His numbers are too damn good for having a kit that is also that good, but the proper nerfs to numbers could see him in a good place.

BlargCow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

none of those champs are op

Vannan Marlfox

12-20-2012

Shen is fine. Wtf are you smoking OP.

I can't figure out why he's ever banned.

d4l3kcaan

12-20-2012

idiots dont read past the first thing they disagree with. GD.

your last sentence is what ive been saying to my self for ages. riot seems to favour knee-jerk reactions over slow and steady progress.

just make tiny tiny tiny changes to 90% of the champion pool every patch

1234511 ... 17