Constructive Criticism about new UI/shop

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zerglinator

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Lol, I wish I was as skilled a counter-troll as Zileas, as this seems perfect for him. I'll give it my best try though:
I think Zil would be proud.

PhoenixSlayer13

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
I like the new shop, however:

I hate the search feature. It's entirely too clunky and in my way if I ever want to use it. Consider the average sequence for buying an item via search:

Open shop
Enter to focus on search bar (why not Ctrl+F?)
type
Enter to go to list of items
??? if i just want an item selected in main pane
Enter buys item shown to be selected
Repeat *entire* above process

I do *not* want to go enter-hea-enter-enter times however many pots I want, over and over. It's just too unintuitive. There's also no way to get rid of the search box short of clicking the X or buying an item AFAICT either. Escape just closes the entire shop window and confuses me incredibly when it does so. What's really curious IMO is that you said you were inspired by chrome, then it has... none of what makes the chrome Super Bar (w/e) really smooth to use.

To be clear, I'd be spamming the heck out of search if it was usable. But pressing enter as much as i actually type, and not only does it not adhere to conventional app standards for manipulation, it flat doesn't have some sorts of functions... =/

If I were given free reign over the search box, here's what I'd do:
* Columns in search 2 > 1
* Cursor is now always present in search results, up/down moves between items
* Add Key to purchase item without closing search
* Add Key to bring up item in main pane, closing search
* Escape, if search is open, closes search box and clears search box
* Key for opening search is configurable (if not already)

When you do the search, can you click the item multiple times to buy it more than once? I can't say I've really tried the search bar, I usually just go by the stats I need.

ChaosBloodterfly

12-20-2012

1. If you have 80 /150 eyesight, then you need to get glasses. Otherwise that **** is gonna get worse (faster).

2. It's really hard to find machete. There's only two ways to find it if it's not in recommended, search, or all items.

Dactylogram

12-20-2012

Problem: Adobe Air Client
Solution: Get rid of it.

Nicksiren

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

I also have terrible shop lag that can sometimes last upwards of 3 seconds.

DXdiag:

boourns

UI Designer

12-20-2012
5 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAzalea View Post
Yay, a red post! I am SO excited. Added my responses in bold...was just easier than scrolling up and down for every post!

Thanks so much for your post! Don't mind the replies, just wanted to address the things you said. Am looking forward to the changes (And snowdown goodies) that will be released in the next patch. (Too bad no re-release MF skin!)

Yay, reds!

PS. Do you have any idea when the recall pings will be released? I cannot WAAAAIT for it.
3. I don't think we're going to make the shop shorter. The item list on the left side is already too short IMHO, I want to show more items as once and reduce scrolling!

4. I'm not sure about typing delay, depending on your computer it is possible because we are searching in real-time as you type. It's something we can look into.

5. Mmmmm the new font was necessary to support more languages in a uniform way, I don't know that we would switch back. This past patch should have addressed the more serious issues with text size, I'd like to hear if this is still a problem and in what resolutions/areas

7. First patch of the new years should at least fix the problems with not being able to tell the separation between surrender votes

13. We would show the XP numbers all the time over the XP bar, right now you need to mouse over to see it. This was an oversight, and showing the numbers should provide a better gauge on how close you are to leveling up.

14. Can you provide more details? I haven't had an trouble re-arranging items. We would want to fix this if anyone can help us reproduce it reliably.

boourns

UI Designer

12-20-2012
6 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactylogram View Post
Problem: Adobe Air Client
Solution: Get rid of it.
... we don't use it at all in the HUD or item shop actually.

boourns

UI Designer

12-20-2012
7 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCIX View Post
I like the new shop, however:

I hate the search feature. It's entirely too clunky and in my way if I ever want to use it. Consider the average sequence for buying an item via search:

Open shop
Enter to focus on search bar (why not Ctrl+F?)
type
Enter to go to list of items
??? if i just want an item selected in main pane
Enter buys item shown to be selected
Repeat *entire* above process

I do *not* want to go enter-hea-enter-enter times however many pots I want, over and over. It's just too unintuitive. There's also no way to get rid of the search box short of clicking the X or buying an item AFAICT either. Escape just closes the entire shop window and confuses me incredibly when it does so. What's really curious IMO is that you said you were inspired by chrome, then it has... none of what makes the chrome Super Bar (w/e) really smooth to use.

To be clear, I'd be spamming the heck out of search if it was usable. But pressing enter as much as i actually type, and not only does it not adhere to conventional app standards for manipulation, it flat doesn't have some sorts of functions... =/

If I were given free reign over the search box, here's what I'd do:
* Columns in search 2 > 1
* Cursor is now always present in search results, up/down moves between items
* Add Key to purchase item without closing search
* Add Key to bring up item in main pane, closing search
* Escape, if search is open, closes search box and clears search box
* Key for opening search is configurable (if not already)
Keyboard buying was a "nice to have" for the initial release of the shop and Riot Reinboom did an amazing job getting what we have into the game. However, we did not have as much time to iterate on it before release as we would have wanted. We were actually just talking about it today. We're probably going to move in the direction of using browser shortcuts for this and not using enter for search so we can preserve chat and scoreboard functionality with the shop open.

Okro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-20-2012

Some games, all my friends' shops will lag the game when opening. The second it opens, everything freezes for like 200ms. Same on closing.

Riot Reinboom

Software Engineer

12-20-2012
8 of 8 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
4. I'm not sure about typing delay, depending on your computer it is possible because we are searching in real-time as you type. It's something we can look into.
Typing lag that can show up on some lower spec machines is caused by it recalculating a lot of information as you type, and the "safe zone" of caching being matched to my typing speed (I type fast, so you can blame me for that oversight ).

Both the "safe zone" time increase as well as a bunch of other optimizations should be in within one of the first patches after the world ends tomorrow.

This will also address the lag some users are experiencing when they attempt to open the shop or buy an item. They are very much related.
I'm still addressing this from different angles as well to ensure the new shop is as responsive as possible.

As a side note, since this appears quite a bit, a bit of information on Adobe Air and how it's used / where it's used:
Adobe Air is a code platform that allows for both very animated functionality as well as a very web style functionality to be developed quickly and effectively. This is used in exactly one place in the League of Legends area: The pregame lobby. That is, everything AFTER you click "Start" at the patcher and BEFORE you see the League of Legends logo just before you get to the champion loading screen. Everything in the actual game itself does not interact with Adobe Air.