LoL is going to need to step up there game soon.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xyltin

Senior Member

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orconem View Post
Of course they'd understand it, it's called 'learning'. People aren't stupid, if they notice the enemy hit a creep and it also hurt everything behind the creep that's not a hard concept to understand, and if they don't understand they can read up on the hero and learn more. A new player may not understand what Vladimir's Hemoplague does the first couple times they get killed by it, but after a while they'll learn that it doesn't hurt you immediately but will make you take mass damage after a couple seconds. Plus if you want to know more about it you can read online and figure out that it also amplifies damage, which may not be that obvious.
Sure, they will, but that chances that a person will learn it as fast as a karthus ult is very unlikely. Why? Cause the sound and the visual are not as clear. The tiny sword does a lot of AOE dmg when he does his butter on his bread? (i call his AA animation bread and butter cause it looks like it).

Reading is good, but you can do that in every game. Is was talking about learning while playing. You see it once and the next time you want to be able to react.

Look at Vi. When she uses her E you clearly see the range. You may not understand that it needs a target to hit, but you know the range and the dmg, You will also remember the sound when she activates it (giving you a short amount of time to react).

Kunkka doesn't give you any hint about his range. But you will see when it is up.
totally differnt is his Q, you see an aniamtion and shortly after the fountain. Nothing someone realizes when seeing it for the first time.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crownface

Senior Member

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sultryvoltron View Post
But you CAN understand one better than the other.

What you can understand is entirely based off of what information is given to you. League surpasses Dota 2 in the amount of information given to users.
That's not true though, you think that because you've played a lot of League, and you've either never played Dota, or you haven't played more than a couple of games.

It doesn't take any longer to learn how to play Dota and understand what's going on than League.

I was really confused in nearly every single one of my first League games, and I was confused in my first Dota games. If you actually played Dota, you'd realize that the game does a fine job of relaying information to the player, heroes are actually really easy to tell apart from creeps, and you can increase the size of hero icons on the map and make them either colors or hero faces. You just can't say that one game does it better than another, and that someone can understand a game of League just because you see an effect before something happens, which actually happens with a lot of abilities in Dota as well.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
League of Legends had much humbler beginnings
Um, I'm going to have to severely disagree with this; LoL was started by and from a company standpoint with funding, etc---DotA was started by a community--no funding, no company, nothing--just the dedication and love of the fans.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Orconem

Senior Member

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyltin View Post
Look at Vi. When she uses her E you clearly see the range. You may not understand that it needs a target to hit, but you know the range and the dmg, You will also remember the sound when she activates it (giving you a short amount of time to react).
You really think people wouldn't understand the range of Kunkka's cleave range and damage after getting hit by it a couple times? The visual indicators for both Vi's Excessive Force and Kunkka's Tidebringer are clear and can be understood after a few times getting whacked by 'em. Sure you may not fully understand them until you experience it over the course of multiple games, but that's part of learning any game.

If I get hit by a Gragas ult, it throws me around and I take damage. If I get hit by a Bane ult it glues me to the floor and I take damage. Neither are hard concepts to understand, they're only as difficult as you make them out to be.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ChileanDead

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox P McCloud View Post
Um, I'm going to have to severely disagree with this; LoL was started by and from a company standpoint with funding, etc---DotA was started by a community--no funding, no company, nothing--just the dedication and love of the fans.
Dota also had the entire WC3 engine and assets to draw from, what did Lol have again?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sultryvoltron

Senior Member

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crownface View Post
That's not true though, you think that because you've played a lot of League, and you've either never played Dota, or you haven't played more than a couple of games.

It doesn't take any longer to learn how to play Dota and understand what's going on than League.

I was really confused in nearly every single one of my first League games, and I was confused in my first Dota games. If you actually played Dota, you'd realize that the game does a fine job of relaying information to the player, heroes are actually really easy to tell apart from creeps, and you can increase the size of hero icons on the map and make them either colors or hero faces. You just can't say that one game does it better than another, and that someone can understand a game of League just because you see an effect before something happens, which actually happens with a lot of abilities in Dota as well.
Caitlyn: http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/9843/caitlyn2.jpg

Sniper: http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2012/11/too-close.jpg


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crownface

Senior Member

12-20-2012

I too play Dota completely zoomed in.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/48...FD62206C9F57E/

He's easily identifiable next to the creeps, you'd understand what I'm saying if you actually played Dota, but you're making assumptions based on things you've heard or random, badly taken screenshots. If you don't like Dota for whatever reason, that's okay, I'm not saying that one game is objectively better than the other, but stop saying things that you don't understand due to your bias, it's just unfair and it leads to an endless cycle of argument.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sultryvoltron

Senior Member

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crownface View Post
I too play Dota completely zoomed in.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/48...FD62206C9F57E/

He's easily identifiable next to the creeps, you'd understand what I'm saying if you actually played Dota, but you're making assumptions based on things you've heard or random, badly taken screenshots. If you don't like Dota for whatever reason, that's okay, I'm not saying that one game is objectively better than the other, but stop saying things that you don't understand due to your bias, it's just unfair and it leads to an endless cycle of argument.
It was the best picture I could find, I looked for a better one.

That being said, the information telegraphing is one of the main reasons that LoL will continue to dominate Dota as an esport.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

George W Nome

Game Designer

12-20-2012
4 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox P McCloud View Post
Um, I'm going to have to severely disagree with this; LoL was started by and from a company standpoint with funding, etc---DotA was started by a community--no funding, no company, nothing--just the dedication and love of the fans.
I was comparing featureset and tech between League and Dota 2. But if you're talking about Dota 1, then you're comparing League and Warcraft 3.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crownface

Senior Member

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sultryvoltron View Post
It was the best picture I could find, I looked for a better one.

That being said, the information telegraphing is one of the main reasons that LoL will continue to dominate Dota as an esport.
You keep using words like "dominate" or "surpass", why can't you admit that they're both popular, they're both watchable, and they're both perfectly playable? Why is it such a big deal that you keep trying to make a point based on nothing except biased second-hand information that Dota 2 is super complex and unwatchable?