A Basic Guide to Roleplay Combat

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ryugi Kazamaru

Senior Member

12-20-2012

You're welcome. I'm something of an RP Combat Veteran.

I've been doing it for AGES. Longer than I care to admit, really.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TwoWeirdYordles

Senior Member

12-20-2012

i never understood how does work the "dice combat" online... WHERE ARE THE DICE? I MUST SEE A PHYSICAL DICE D:


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Steampwrd Kitten

Senior Member

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryugi Kazamaru View Post
You're welcome. I'm something of an RP Combat Veteran.

I've been doing it for AGES. Longer than I care to admit, really.
hehe Same. But this is my first Forum RP ever. I usually played in chat rooms or virtual clients (like secondlife) and most of the time the combat was freeform or we used a system to determine things. It's a fairly large change between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWeirdYordles View Post
i never understood how does work the "dice combat" online... WHERE ARE THE DICE? I MUST SEE A PHYSICAL DICE D:
Google! Dice rollers galore on google. Just do a search and find one you like. It may not be physical, but they do usually work.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TwoWeirdYordles

Senior Member

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeKitten View Post
Google! Dice rollers galore on google. Just do a search and find one you like. It may not be physical, but they do usually work.
I don't trust them D:<

Quote:
The people who play as characters that are completely impossible (Oxymorons).
I have a lot of them :X


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ryugi Kazamaru

Senior Member

12-20-2012

As long as we're on the topic, I feel I have to address this issue.

Some people have complained about other people dodging or avoiding attacks that have been thrown at them on a fairly regular basis. Now, I come from a very combat-oriented place originally (though I absolutely love standard roleplaying as well), and as such, I feel I should make some clarifications toward dodging and the like that revolve, specifically, around actions and timing and how these things combine into avoidance. That being said, here are some important terms and concepts for Combatants to consider.

The Interrupt:
The Interrupt is a mainstay of any high tier RP combat. In the simplest terms, an Interrupt is exactly what the name suggests. It is a fighter "interrupting" another fighter's actions as they are performing them. An example of an Interrupt might be someone sucker-punching Goku in the face as he's charging the Spirit Bomb, therefore preventing him from saving the day. In fact, DBZ is a prime example of how NOT to RP fight, simply because of how staged a lot of the bigger attacks are.

In order to understand the Interrupting concept, one has to understand the "flow" of combat. This is basically akin to how time is moving for both characters. While RP Combat is turn by turn, one post by one post, time, technically, is not standing still for either fighter. Your turn gives you a chance to react based upon the actions of the opponent you're facing based upon the amount of time you have to act. Oddly enough, this concept is not unlike stunning Katarina during her ult, or silencing Miss Fortune during hers, or Fiddlesticks during his charge up time. In effect, when your opponent moves to attack you, your character has the option to "interrupt" their actions, based upon logical progression and time between rounds.

Dodging & Blocking:
Now, obviously this stuff is important. However, when you want to dodge or block an attack, you have to consider whether or not your character has enough time to do so, and if it is within their capabilities as a character. People tend to get upset when a person is consistently dodging or avoiding attacks, and are quick to label such actions as "God-Modding" or some other such thing, simply because they can't land a hit upon the character in question.

What one must consider before making such claims is, "Have I, as a fighter, specifically worked in enough detail and strategic positioning to force the other character into a position where they cannot dodge, block, or otherwise avoid damage?" In effect, if a fighter sees a way out of taking damage, be it via a block, or via a dodge, they will always take it if it is within their ability to do so at that point in time. Speed and maneuverability based fighters rely on dodging and avoiding attacks to stay alive in a fight, or at least wind up victorious. Heavily armored fighters make use of their thick plate to avoid damage, sacrificing the ability to move quickly to soak damage with their equipment.

It is your job as a fighter to learn the weaknesses of these types of fighters, and figure out how to fight them effectively. In any fight, YOU are responsible for dealing damage to the opponent. If they choose to give you a strike against them, that is their choice, however, typically speaking, fighters will not willingly take a blow, unless it has really awesome implications and would be cool for dramatic effect, like a clash of blades or magical powers or some such. So, think creatively and strategically to get your opponent right where you want them, and strike when they are unable to react. The same rules apply to real combat, and should be no different in RP Combat.

Anyway, I hope these terms and explanations will help people to improve their fighting, and make it more impressive for all. =)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Steampwrd Kitten

Senior Member

12-20-2012

Thanks again for your input, Ryugi You've been very helpful and have filled in some stuff I didn't think to mention. Much appreciated.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask Talon

Member

12-20-2012

Quote:
The Interrupt:
The Interrupt is a mainstay of any high tier RP combat. In the simplest terms, an Interrupt is exactly what the name suggests. It is a fighter "interrupting" another fighter's actions as they are performing them. An example of an Interrupt might be someone sucker-punching Goku in the face as he's charging the Spirit Bomb, therefore preventing him from saving the day. In fact, DBZ is a prime example of how NOT to RP fight, simply because of how staged a lot of the bigger attacks are.

In order to understand the Interrupting concept, one has to understand the "flow" of combat. This is basically akin to how time is moving for both characters. While RP Combat is turn by turn, one post by one post, time, technically, is not standing still for either fighter. Your turn gives you a chance to react based upon the actions of the opponent you're facing based upon the amount of time you have to act. Oddly enough, this concept is not unlike stunning Katarina during her ult, or silencing Miss Fortune during hers, or Fiddlesticks during his charge up time. In effect, when your opponent moves to attack you, your character has the option to "interrupt" their actions, based upon logical progression and time between rounds.
And then you have someone who was in the middle of an attack attempt to interrupt an interrupt.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ryugi Kazamaru

Senior Member

12-20-2012

Assuming they have enough time to change their actions, yes.

It's the way things go.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask the Herald

Member

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryugi Kazamaru View Post
As long as we're on the topic, I feel I have to address this issue.

Some people have complained about other people dodging or avoiding attacks that have been thrown at them on a fairly regular basis. Now, I come from a very combat-oriented place originally (though I absolutely love standard roleplaying as well), and as such, I feel I should make some clarifications toward dodging and the like that revolve, specifically, around actions and timing and how these things combine into avoidance. That being said, here are some important terms and concepts for Combatants to consider.

The Interrupt:
The Interrupt is a mainstay of any high tier RP combat. In the simplest terms, an Interrupt is exactly what the name suggests. It is a fighter "interrupting" another fighter's actions as they are performing them. An example of an Interrupt might be someone sucker-punching Goku in the face as he's charging the Spirit Bomb, therefore preventing him from saving the day. In fact, DBZ is a prime example of how NOT to RP fight, simply because of how staged a lot of the bigger attacks are.

In order to understand the Interrupting concept, one has to understand the "flow" of combat. This is basically akin to how time is moving for both characters. While RP Combat is turn by turn, one post by one post, time, technically, is not standing still for either fighter. Your turn gives you a chance to react based upon the actions of the opponent you're facing based upon the amount of time you have to act. Oddly enough, this concept is not unlike stunning Katarina during her ult, or silencing Miss Fortune during hers, or Fiddlesticks during his charge up time. In effect, when your opponent moves to attack you, your character has the option to "interrupt" their actions, based upon logical progression and time between rounds.

Dodging & Blocking:
Now, obviously this stuff is important. However, when you want to dodge or block an attack, you have to consider whether or not your character has enough time to do so, and if it is within their capabilities as a character. People tend to get upset when a person is consistently dodging or avoiding attacks, and are quick to label such actions as "God-Modding" or some other such thing, simply because they can't land a hit upon the character in question.

What one must consider before making such claims is, "Have I, as a fighter, specifically worked in enough detail and strategic positioning to force the other character into a position where they cannot dodge, block, or otherwise avoid damage?" In effect, if a fighter sees a way out of taking damage, be it via a block, or via a dodge, they will always take it if it is within their ability to do so at that point in time. Speed and maneuverability based fighters rely on dodging and avoiding attacks to stay alive in a fight, or at least wind up victorious. Heavily armored fighters make use of their thick plate to avoid damage, sacrificing the ability to move quickly to soak damage with their equipment.

It is your job as a fighter to learn the weaknesses of these types of fighters, and figure out how to fight them effectively. In any fight, YOU are responsible for dealing damage to the opponent. If they choose to give you a strike against them, that is their choice, however, typically speaking, fighters will not willingly take a blow, unless it has really awesome implications and would be cool for dramatic effect, like a clash of blades or magical powers or some such. So, think creatively and strategically to get your opponent right where you want them, and strike when they are unable to react. The same rules apply to real combat, and should be no different in RP Combat.

Anyway, I hope these terms and explanations will help people to improve their fighting, and make it more impressive for all. =)
And then you have Riven, who can dodge everything you throw at her, no matter if you made it so that she would get hit by at least ONE thing no matter what she did.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask Mad Chemist

Senior Member

12-20-2012

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2903689
If you want to practice here is the tread for you