Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Noblepeasant

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

@Riot PR / Marketing etc

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...012/full_list/

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-2...12-2012-6?op=1

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquely...k-for-in-2013/

There are surveys and lists like this published every year. What does Riot need to do to get on these lists? From everything I've ever heard about your company (direct things from your employees, in threads like this one, or indirectly from observing the culture), you should have a place among the best.

Recognition like this will only help you attract even better talent, and make the game greater tomorrow than it is today.

Levj

12-19-2012

What this is the product of a generation of students who were educated with emphasis on making sure their self esteem was always coddled. Their teacher told them how important and great they were. Now the womb of school cant shelter them any more these students are angry. They blame employers on not seeing their self proclaimed genius. This is why you all see such anger. Instead of adapting to reality they insist meet them on their own terms. Why shouldnt they? Its what school told them expect and demand.

VerdantDargon

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levj View Post
What this is the product of a generation of students who were educated with emphasis on making sure their self esteem was always coddled. Their teacher told them how important and great they were. Now the womb of school cant shelter them any more these students are angry. They blame employers on not seeing their self proclaimed genius. This is why you all see such anger. Instead of adapting to reality they insist meet them on their own terms. Why shouldnt they? Its what school told them expect and demand.
I can see this, so many of my classmates have this type of attitude (and I'm in a rigorous program, not your standard or "average" classes). For example, there are two kids in my Calculus class that use their computer the whole time, not for taking notes, but for messing around with stuff that interests them (one plays GTA and the other looks up computer stuff). Then they ask the teacher for extra credit assignments when they realize their grades are lower then they want them to be going into their finals.

Even I have moments where I feel entitled to stuff, but because I know that attitude will get me nowhere I repress those thoughts.

gradiuscypher

12-19-2012
35 of 45 Riot Posts

As a recent college grad, I feel like I can add a bit to this convo. During college, find what your passion is and sink yourself in it. I love coding, but not large projects. Simple scripts, quick hacky solutions for things. I do have a few massive projects I'm working on, but I'd much rather work on a Twitter scraper in Python for a day than work on a new graphics engine for weeks.

I took that coding experience from my computer science degree and applied to to my real passion, security. Those two really go hand in hand. During my second year at school, I dove into anything security related. Setting up entire labs with virtual machines, competing in security related events, getting involved with clubs on campus. I did anything that kept me in the loop of security.

During my interview process I did everything I could to show I have a passion for coding and for security. It roped me a summer internship. From there, I went to kick ass with the rest of the team and earned a spot after my internship.

TL;DR: Do what you like and sink everything you have into it. Show that you have a passion for your interests.

Edit: Also realize, there's always someone better or more knowledgeable then you. Use this as a motivator to work with these people and soak it all up. Use everything you do in life to build experience to better yourself.

StriderXplosive

Recruiter

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotGradius View Post
As a recent college grad, I feel like I can add a bit to this convo. During college, find what your passion is and sink yourself in it. I love coding, but not large projects. Simple scripts, quick hacky solutions for things. I do have a few massive projects I'm working on, but I'd much rather work on a Twitter scraper in Python for a day than work on a new graphics engine for weeks.

I took that coding experience from my computer science degree and applied to to my real passion, security. Those two really go hand in hand. During my second year at school, I dove into anything security related. Setting up entire labs with virtual machines, competing in security related events, getting involved with clubs on campus. I did anything that kept me in the loop of security.

During my interview process I did everything I could to show I have a passion for coding and for security. It roped me a summer internship. From there, I went to kick ass with the rest of the team and earned a spot after my internship.

TL;DR: Do what you like and sink everything you have into it. Show that you have a passion for your interests.

Edit: Also realize, there's always someone better or more knowledgeable then you. Use this as a motivator to work with these people and soak it all up. Use everything you do in life to build experience to better yourself.
Well put bro *applause*

ownerpvp

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotGradius View Post

ya thats good and well said (+1)

Djinnandjuice

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-19-2012

I just read this article on Cracked. (trololol I know) but it feels applicable.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-...better-person/

No one is going to hand you anything. You have to go out there, do it for yourself, and stand out.

Do you know how many people want a job at Riot? how many applicants they get everyday?

It's the same at any really desirable company. It's not even limited to gaming and technology, but the easiest comparison I could think of would be trying to get a job at Google. That **** is like the Holy Grail to some people. And some of those people are infinitely more qualified than you. AND THEY DIDN'T GET A JOB THERE.
(holy **** I want my family taken care of for a decade should i ever die http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/09/tech...its/index.html )

tl/dr You have to prove that you deserve something, they aren't going to give it to you on a silver plate just because you have the pipe dream that "one day I'll work at a sweet gaming company"

Shaabanglyy

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodka and Kush View Post
https://riotgames-openhire.silkroad....on=1&jobid=181

- Work tirelessly to launch the League of Legends brand into a new dimension of brand recognition and reach, forging a cohesive marketing strategy and identifying new avenues for recognition and exposure

Experienced: you’ve got ten or more years of professional marketing or brand management experience building kickass brands with wide reach;

wtf rofl..thats just a few
I also question what the chances of Riot hiring someone, who's usename is Vodka and Kush, would actually be.

Ikarurob

12-19-2012

sadly you could roll up with a 200 page report of how Trollello is **** and killing Riot with his ****....and it will get buried precisely because of Dunning-Kruger.

Idiots in charge keep thier jobs and prevent everyone else from accomplishing better things.

Tlmeout

12-19-2012

I also honestly think some folks stumble apon something they have skill in without even knowing it. Once you find it you have a choice to follow that path or decide well I am good at it, but it will not keep me happy.

I know I am not a red and will probably be over looked, but I want to try and give the best advise I can because I seem to have no problems landing a job once they speak with me.

I currently do IT work for a company in California and before that I came from Dell. During the interviews of both jobs I felt my skill set was lower than what they have been looking for and I felt that as well.

Both companies told me I had very strong communication skills. Typing probably not, but being able to talk to people and constantly get positive CSTATS have honestly saved me I think. So now that I am seeing what my strong point is I am really thinking about changing what I apply for and heading in the direction of communication.

I Still always dream of working with a video game company and/or act I still think down the road choosing something you are good at helps you more because you tend to stay more focused rather than have a job that is just a job and not a career.

Thanks Riot for all the post on this. You guys seem to be very helpful in areas that I hardly see with any other company!