BTW Riot, just wanted to say...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TekDriveTruck

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendak View Post
Well, let's be realistic here - Riot's dropped the ball on many things before. I don't want to make a list, but we all know a few things Riot's really utterly, badly screwed up in the pursuit of profit.
I hope your not this negative about things in your own life.

Tarinis

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekDriveTruck View Post
I hope your not this negative about things in your own life.
Almsot just as bad as ignoring all the bad huh

Super Explosion

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
<3

I think it's popular to think game companies are greedy, lifeless entities who are detached from games and players. Maybe players have felt this way from past experiences...I don't know. I just know we're not that way and want to make sure people know it
The 'evil corporation' is a recent cultural cliche born of the tight PR "leash" many companies have.

Thus people often don't realize or contemplate that companies are made up of real humans, lots of them, who may have similar feelings to the contemplator in question.

Gaming companies though, specifically, have had such a dearth of innovation that frustration tends to build up. Even if it isn't explicitly realized by the player.

Many games have persons who say "I love this, 10/10, perfect game", then can't play it anymore a month or so later.
Even when asked why, they'll still call it a "perfect game", and often not notice the thoroughly improvable effects that lead to this drop off in playability.

This is one background effect of a lack of innovation in entertainment-- people realize that they have done this before, achieved similar results, and the 'boredom gauge' increases relatively faster.

Aquelarres

12-19-2012

Quote:
It depends
How about increasing the IP gain for free players?

Playing a game feels unrewarding. Grinding IP is toxic for the community and for the playability. I know good, i buy rune pages and runes mostly, I don't feel it rewarding enough. If those runes help me winning, i only get 30 more influence points than the enemy team, for a total of 80~ sad influence points per average game

Super Explosion

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquelarres View Post
How about increasing the IP gain for free players?

Playing a game feels unrewarding. Grinding IP is toxic for the community and for the playability. I know good, i buy rune pages and runes mostly, I don't feel it rewarding enough. If I win, i only get 30 more IP than the enemy team.

How about updating these forums and removing the upvotes/downvotes?
Eating lots of sugar may taste good, but can be unhealthy in the long run.

iJamioo

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMontag View Post
I want to highlight this, because I think it's a core part of Riot's thinking that sets us apart from other companies. Traditional business logic dictates that you do things in order to make money, and the only way you can make money is from customers, so you have to do things customers like or you won't make money. This isn't necessarily wrong, but it's not really right, and as players I think we've all run into some example of this with our favorite form of entertainment.

The curved logic we use -- the little leap of faith we make -- is to focus on making a great player experience first and assume money will come out of that. That includes the game, the client, player support, the website, everything. It's a subtle shift that has profound effects. It means we can say, "of course we'd give people who bought old legendaries refunds when we put a Legendary skin on sale" without blinking an eye. That's a plainly better experience. We temper it with the fact that we need to keep the lights on -- which is why you can't play every champion for free from the moment you log in -- but it aligns our business model with your interests as a player, which means we can Do The Right Thing by players more than a company that solely focuses on money.

Love the idea for the article, by the way. Can't wait to read it when it's done.
I've always been curious.. Are you RiotMontag because of the book Fahrenheit 451?

Bekkal

12-19-2012

Riot's been a bit of a let-down lately, especially with just about anything concerning Hippalus (IMO). But, the thing is, I still feel like buying RP is donating to them more than it is getting something for my money. They have a way of developing content and interacting with people that still makes me feel like they're just a bunch of dudes doing the best they can to make things work out (even Hippalus, who I am convinced is from a different planet than I am, is very obviously putting forth what he can).

To me, the only reason I buy RP at all is because I want them to keep going. Any mistakes aside, this is a company I want to see succeed because I genuinely think that they are good for the games industry as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iJamioo View Post
I've always been curious.. Are you RiotMontag because of the book Fahrenheit 451?
Yes.

Darkwahn

12-19-2012

Quote:
<3

I think it's popular to think game companies are greedy, lifeless entities who are detached from games and players. Maybe players have felt this way from past experiences...I don't know. I just know we're not that way and want to make sure people know it
When you look at most of the larger companies(that arent you guys) for a few minutes, it's easy to see why people would feel that way, imo.

NovakNL

12-19-2012

Quote:
<3

You can blame EA and Activision for that.

Mostly EA though, god I hate EA so much.

VIOLENTxSHINOBI

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

I have played countless games that have slowly deteriorated over the years in to nothing more than a company trying to milk every last penny out of a dying player base and it's sad. Especially when it was a game you enjoyed for years. Like Simutronics has done.

Keep up the good work Riot, please don;t ever become one of those companies.