Is a mid "supposed" to start roaming at level 3?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Risemix

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoruichi View Post
This is the problem.

"You don't start roaming till 7". WTF kind of logic is this. If you see a play on the map where you can secure a kill/objective, you move for it. You don't look at a formula and be like "well, it's not 11:27, so we can't do dragon".

Open your eyes. Look at the map. If bot is chasing up the river because they almost killed their lane, or successfully outed a jungler gank attempt. And you sit jerking off in mid because "it's not 7 mins" then you are 100% at fault.
This is true too, nothing annoys me more than that player that refuses to look up from his textbook and flames everyone based on stuff he read on the internet.

Levgre

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoruichi View Post
This is the problem.

"You don't start roaming till 7". WTF kind of logic is this. If you see a play on the map where you can secure a kill/objective, you move for it. You don't look at a formula and be like "well, it's not 11:27, so we can't do dragon".

Open your eyes. Look at the map. If bot is chasing up the river because they almost killed their lane, or successfully outed a jungler gank attempt. And you sit jerking off in mid because "it's not 7 mins" then you are 100% at fault.
Um you are really reaching here. Roaming is a LOT different from helping in a river battle. Roaming means you leave your lane and go all the way down to either top or bottom to gank.

Minute 7 is not a hard rule, but that is when you have actually bought some items and have your ultimate. Before that, you are generally ganking with just boots and your regular abilities.

ThatsNotIrony

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Master View Post
No. Never listen to anyone who says you need to roam during lane phase.

Whenever the opposing mid or top lane roams, it's the other lanes' job to sit at tower and make the roamer waste time, XP and gold, while allowing your allied laner from that lane to destroy their tower.

This is the #1 rule that you need to remember.

LoL is a game of strategy, NOT an action skirmish game. The global strategy, the big picture, the resources -- that's what counts more than anything else.

I follow this idea to the dot.

An easy way of looking at this concept...I play AP Yi mid a lot (more than I should). The moment my opponent leaves to gank a lane (I keep track via wards, etc), I spam MIA and pings, then proceed to hardcore push the lane with alpha strike.

Once pushed, this is about the time they have arrived at bot/top lane to gank. This is when you start Highlander + E and beat the everloving sh*t out of their turret. Typically, it takes 1-2 ganks for them to realize their turret is <10% health or just outright dead.

Keirndmo

12-19-2012

Only if you're Tiny o wait...

kraxirra

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsNotIrony View Post
I follow this idea to the dot.

An easy way of looking at this concept...I play AP Yi mid a lot (more than I should). The moment my opponent leaves to gank a lane (I keep track via wards, etc), I spam MIA and pings, then proceed to hardcore push the lane with alpha strike.

Once pushed, this is about the time they have arrived at bot/top lane to gank. This is when you start Highlander + E and beat the everloving sh*t out of their turret. Typically, it takes 1-2 ganks for them to realize their turret is <10% health or just outright dead.
This strategy loses as many games as it wins. Staying and pushing is a good option sometimes, but if that mid gank is successful, your team is now behind. Many times, you MUST follow or subject the game to an auto loss because now their mid is fed and your laner is behind.

FrozenXylaphone

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

no, because when you running down river to bot, you are getting no exps. Level 3 is pretty stinkin early. It is almost always best to just sit there and get to lvl 4.

When you are level 4 then you might think about it depending on who you are playing as and only if you pushed the wave to enemy turret and they can't push it back very fast or are dead etc.

Shadow Master

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraxirra View Post
This strategy loses as many games as it wins. Staying and pushing is a good option sometimes, but if that mid gank is successful, your team is now behind. Many times, you MUST follow or subject the game to an auto loss because now their mid is fed and your laner is behind.
Anyone who can't sit at tower and defend for a little while against a roaming mid is a failure and would've lost you the match anyway.

Your reasoning is absolutely flawed.

The mid laner is not responsible for the lack of skill/knowledge of the bot laners.

No one is responsible for carrying other players on their team, especially during lane phase, which is a segregated phase where anyone leaving their lane is losing CS, gold and XP that is sorely needed in the grand scheme.

Roamers MUST be punished, and the ONLY way to do that is by the other lane sitting at tower defending while your mid laner farms and destroys the opposing mid tower.

SpiffmeisterZ

12-19-2012

It all depends on the game and who you're playing as and against.

If you're playing someone like Eve and LeBlanc, as people have stated, with hyper mobility and strong early burst, then yes you can get away with it early on but will set yourself back pretty badly if it fails to yield at least one opponent being killed.

If you're playing someone like Rumble or Ziggs you can just wait until 6 and look for an opportunity to move slightly down and launch your near global ulti at an opportune moment, or if you're playing TF the second you hit level 6 you should be 'porting around the map like it's going out of style the second either lane makes a mistake.

The only times you wouldn't be roaming is if you have a champion who is very slow, if you know the way there is warded all to hell and you'd just be wasting your time, if you're up against someone who can hyper push and make you pay for being gone for even just a 10-15 seconds, or if the enemy mid makes sure to keep themselves glued to you the second you even think of leaving.

The only real special case is Karthus. Sit in lane forever and a day and just push R every so often. Roaming complete.

Other times when you are pretty much forced to roam is if a teamfight breaks out, your jungler gets cought moving through the river, or in the instance of a dragon. If your jungler gets cought by Baron, for instance, a good CoA is for mid and top to chaerg on in Leeroy style and smash them down and run away before their own mid/top follow in unless you KNOW you have the advantage. You may just have to let your jungler fend for themselves, however, in the instance of top and mid being too low to do anything other than feed the enemy three kills rather than just one.

This is simply how I play, however, and is not any kind of statement of an absolute rule that everyone has to follow.

Yoruichi

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Master View Post
Anyone who can't sit at tower and defend for a little while against a roaming mid is a failure and would've lost you the match anyway.

Your reasoning is absolutely flawed.

The mid laner is not responsible for the lack of skill/knowledge of the bot laners.

No one is responsible for carrying other players on their team, especially during lane phase, which is a segregated phase where anyone leaving their lane is losing CS, gold and XP that is sorely needed in the grand scheme.

Roamers MUST be punished, and the ONLY way to do that is by the other lane sitting at tower defending while your mid laner farms and destroys the opposing mid tower.
It's solo Q. Why would I want to depend on my team to "sit and defend" when I can just follow, secure some kills, and get dragon/tower.

2 people cannot defend against 4. So, now you're expecting not only your bot lane to do well, but for your jungle to be position as well. What if he's ganking top while bot gets smashed by 4 (tower dove).

The team that wins bot can get dragon, and take the opponents tower. Then continue to apply pressure somewhere else on the map.

If this seems like a hard/foreign concept, please stop playing mid and just go top. Top is for afk farmers... only kidding, but honestly, at least you aren't disturbing the early game being a lazy top like you are as a lazy mid.

Strawberrycocoa

12-19-2012

The sad fact is, no matter how much you ping or type MIA, you will always have that one person who can't be bothered to pay attention to communication. I hope sticking around for that one last CS was worth getting ganked and dying, jerk.

I generally prefer to stay in my lane and farm when an enemy roams because, ideally, I am getting a gold/XP/item advantage by doing so. Until my sidelane pulls a stupid and feeds a kill though.