Is AP Varus a legitimate build.

Yes 110 63.95%
No 62 36.05%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Why is AP Varus a troll build?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Invictrix

12-18-2012

It's a troll build Varus is an adc not an ap carry. I mean you could take him mid as an ap carry, but there are so many better options that your gimping your team.

1.Play the meta
2. Master the meta
3. Win games
4 Enjoy elo heaven

Skalerita

12-18-2012

In euw this wasn't so uncommon a few months ago. Or maybe i just run into a lot of them, anyway I don't think it's a troll build.

Bob the bomber

12-19-2012

I have yet to try the AP build, but then again I am 7 and 0 in ranked as AD

Taoquitok

12-19-2012

I've been wanting to try AP varus.. I get the feeling it'll be similar to AP teemo.. get a hurricane and liandry's + grab some relevant AP items vs the other team and then laugh as they all die.

And yes, Hurricane procs varus's on-hit.. so I presume all you need to do then is hit people with your other abilities and watch their health drop fast ^^

knormanx

12-19-2012

quick, everyone here main ap varus for the week. AP Varus shall rise!!!!

MonoRandy

12-19-2012

I have been playing Ap varus, for the past few days and good lord is he fun, i just love watching their health melt away

Bob the bomber

12-19-2012

Maybe you guys should write a guide and get a pro to endorse it

Sir Tiddles

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoquitok View Post
I've been wanting to try AP varus.. I get the feeling it'll be similar to AP teemo.. get a hurricane and liandry's + grab some relevant AP items vs the other team and then laugh as they all die.

And yes, Hurricane procs varus's on-hit.. so I presume all you need to do then is hit people with your other abilities and watch their health drop fast ^^
It is not like AP Teemo at all. AP Teemo you focus on mostly kiting and shooting a dart and autoattacking once, maybe twice, before scurrying away before you get stunned and killed.

With AP Varus, you really need to constantly be autoattacking and in the thick of it because you have to constantly build up stacks and consume them with an ability. You have better CC for this (although I would argue not enough to warrant his lowish autoattack range).

As for items, Teemo should never get Liandry's. It isn't much survivability, and the extra damage only procs from his Q and if they hit a mushroom but it does not proc off his E passive damage. So many Teemos buy this item and think it is amazing, but you will get a lot more mileage out of other items, like a deathcap or a malady. Honestly, I think Liandry's is really only good for tankier champs with recurring damage, or casters with very spammable spammable spells as a luxery dps item. Amumu, Nautilus, Pig Lady, Cass, Rumble, etc.

As a side note about Hurricane: I've tested it out quite a few times, and I both hate it and love it on Varus. I love it because it truly is a lot of multi-target damage if you can ignite the stacks off everyone, but I hate it because of how bad AP/AS itemization is. If you get a Hurricane and a Malady, that is two item slots with a grand total of only 25 AP which gimps an AP build pretty hard as you will usually only be able to afford one non-AP item for most AP carries/casters in general otherwise your damage isn't high enough.

Overall my impression is that AP Varus is not completely gimped and troll build, but it is honestly not good enough to take into a ranked game. And I think the biggest reason for this is that as an AP carry that also needs to have near max attack speed, you are paying a very large premium to get the high end dps out. But that build will always have to sacrifice something that AD carries will always have.

A general AD carry build will be something like:
*) Berserker's Greaves
*) Bloodthirster
*) Infinite Edge
*) Last Whisper
*) Phantom Dancer
*) Luxery Defense Item (GA or Mercurial most likely)
A full build AD carry will have lots of AD, a solid amount of AS, armor penetration, and lifesteal.

By comparison, Varus requires lots of AP, close to max AS for build stacks quickly, CDR so you can detonate more than 2-3 times a fight depending on if your ult is up, spell vamp (and probably lifesteal as well), mana regen,
Right now, my full build looks something like:
*) Berserker's Greaves
*) Deathcap
*) Hextech Gunblade
*) Malady
*) Hurricane
*) Void Staff

But this sacrifices that one luxery defense item like a GA, has no CDR, has no mana regen, and it still does not feel like it is enough AP to make it worthwhile especially considering neither Q nor E has an AP ratio on it. I've tried dropping the malady or the hurricane for an additional large AP item which solves the problem of feeling like it isn't enough AP but creates an additional problem of not having enough attack speed (along with still having the other issues).

Dropping the Hurricane and adding a Nashor's Tooth really helps with the CDR and early mana regen issues if you rush it and also helps with not feeling like you don't have enough AP, but then your AoE damage is not noticeable sans ult and your single target dps is lower than if you had built as an AD carry.

On top of the itemization issues, Varus does not have any hard CC and he has an uninspired autoattack range. These two issues wouldn't be showstoppers in and of themselves, but AP Varus needs to build up 3 stacks through autoattacks before being able to really put out any damage which is too risky being a squishy carry. To be honest, I've been finding that an AP/AS Twisted Fate with a Lich Bane works out a lot better than an AP/AS Varus.

knormanx

12-19-2012

i don't think gunblade is a good item for varus. The only thing proccing a decent heal is your ult.

Drag Nasty

12-19-2012

The problem you run into is that your taking the carry or ap spot away. You can ap tris, ap ez. but in the end you fall off and can't carry same with many other champs..On the flip side you can go ad kennen, which you miss out on ap burst for teamfights. People roll out ap tryn and ap xin and make it work but it's not optimal especially when your playing to win in ranked it's just not using the champs to their optimal potential.