Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmokeDatPakalolo

12-19-2012

There seems to be a lot of college graduate questions being answered by Riot, but what about for the younger ones still in high school? Or am I worrying too soon? What should a teen at the age of 17 be doing to maximize his chances of getting into and illustrious studio such as Riot later on in his life?

Gaming has been an enormous part of my life and I think its the direction I want to take for the rest of it. I have always thought about being involved in the gaming industry, but Riot was the first one that truly motivated me to dream and hope for an opportunity to become a part of something amazing. The fact that you guys reach out to your community and give invaluable information (perfect example in this thread), is enough to motivate me to challenge myself and strive for something greater.

Morello

Lead Designer

12-19-2012
30 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidbossK View Post
@Morello : How do you guys view government/military service (leaving political opinions behind) since a large portion of the training involves things like teamwork, problem-solving, and leadership? Does it add the kind of "years of experience" required by the job posting in Riot's views?
It can - we do have some military backgrounds. It depends on what you can demonstrate from that experience, really.

Morello

Lead Designer

12-19-2012
31 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeDatPakalolo View Post
There seems to be a lot of college graduate questions being answered by Riot, but what about for the younger ones still in high school? Or am I worrying too soon? What should a teen at the age of 17 be doing to maximize his chances of getting into and illustrious studio such as Riot later on in his life?

Gaming has been an enormous part of my life and I think its the direction I want to take for the rest of it. I have always thought about being involved in the gaming industry, but Riot was the first one that truly motivated me to dream and hope for an opportunity to become a part of something amazing. The fact that you guys reach out to your community and give invaluable information (perfect example in this thread), is enough to motivate me to challenge myself and strive for something greater.
I'm not sure. At 17 I was busy trying to figure out how to game my school's GPA system. :P You've got a long time to figure this stuff out

Mikhal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

Just get out there and do something. If someone sees quality in what you do, then you will be accepted.

Edit: Oh my, Morello, how did you do in gaming your school's GPA system? I'd like to believe that it's far too easy to do well and not exactly do much. The GPA system is flawed in far too many ways imo.

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

12-19-2012
32 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisLeGros View Post
Do you have many alumni from Digipen at Riot?
*Raises hand*

Me and...two other game engineers, I think? Among others.

Protip: the one in production graduated in RTIS. She's a betrayer!

Saisaith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodka and Kush View Post
https://riotgames-openhire.silkroad....on=1&jobid=181

- Work tirelessly to launch the League of Legends brand into a new dimension of brand recognition and reach, forging a cohesive marketing strategy and identifying new avenues for recognition and exposure

Experienced: you’ve got ten or more years of professional marketing or brand management experience building kickass brands with wide reach;

wtf rofl..thats just a few

if i was like the biggest game in the world.. i probably would have crazy requirements for my jobs too..

they want the best, so they can provide the best!

Oh ya and all of that is for us

Morello

Lead Designer

12-19-2012
33 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhal View Post
Just get out there and do something. If someone sees quality in what you do, then you will be accepted.

Edit: Oh my, Morello, how did you do in gaming your school's GPA system? I'd like to believe that it's far too easy to do well and not exactly do much. The GPA system is flawed in far too many ways imo.
Very well - I missed more days of my senior year than I made it to. Though, not recommended for current students

I probably worked harder on avoiding the work than I would have just doing it, but I tend to break up problems like that.

Saisaith

12-19-2012

Oh btw, I just finished my bachelors in computer science and applied to the ms software engineering program that san jose offers.

yelp...

Oh! I entered my first Ludum Dare!

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum...view&uid=18577

I needed help from a tutorial because I ended up using game maker pro instead of eclipse cause I was afraid I wouldn't have enough time to output something.

meh

enjoy

-Saisaith

Holynova

12-19-2012

So lets say I get an internship at Riot and lets say I'm very creative and bring a lot of good ideas and work while I'm there is it a possibility that someone will be like hey we'd like you work for us and what not?? If sooooo I need to do that .

Hipsteresque

12-19-2012

As someone just starting college, what would the best advice be for breaking my way into the industry?

I've always had a passion for gaming, and especially League of Legends. I'm just amazed at Riot and its employees. It's almost sad how much time I sit and read through the forums... I love how many Red posts there are that I can just read through! You are all so excited and driven and happy about what you're doing! You all get involved with the community more than any other game I've played. It's inspiring, and I want to do that! I want to be a part of how awesome Riot Games is!

Watch out, because I'm on my way!