The one thing that DotA has that League doesn't

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Treantwuver

12-18-2012

That's why I loved Dota 1 and been playing it back in Warcraft 3. NO roles are really required, you can play what you want pretty much. LoL you're forced to pick roles, tank/support and carries if you want to be successful in team fights.

Fox P McCloud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNome View Post
Yes, some ultimate effects do bypass BKB,
With the exception of Tide's and Puck's ultimates, ALL ult-CC goes through BKB, no exceptions.

I also disagree on the sub-optimal builds thing, in general, though I'd like to hear more from you on this---specific examples please?

Also, one thing DotA has that LoL doesn't; viable melee carries and lots of them----LoL only has 3 melee carries (GP became a bruiser long ago), and their viability is highly questionable at the moment (especially when compared to ranged)---heck, we even had to wait nearly 2.5 years to get that 3rd one to boot---kinda upsets me (and support players say they're ignored).

Vrouge

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearZocom View Post
actually as a dota player myself i am sad to inform you that there is a tier of champions in dota that are basically unplayable past a pub level.

Visage and tauren are two who immediately come to mind other names such as medusa and slark come to mind.
I'm sad to inform you that Tauren Chieftain is actually a fairly popular pickup in the Dota 1 scene. Visage may not be picked up a lot but neither is Spectre but does that mean they are useless or aweful? No, it's simply that the current trending doesn't favour their presence. Medusa is pretty powerful but she needs tons of farm to be effective. The same can be said about Spectre who was a top pick just a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSxCaedmon View Post
I think the S3 patch is moving in the right direction for the game as a whole. (i.e making the game a more diversified "balenced" game). In my opinion, an item should help channel your role more precisely for that specific match you've been qued in. I can't think of an item so far that I've seen be completely ignored in this patch. (Zephyr's time will come!)
Item Diversity is a cool thing to discuss, but when you talk about DOTA you open up a whole new can of issues with that game. Sure they might have "good, unique item choices" but mainly when you look at the list of 25-35 heroes (if that) out of their tier lists, most of the players build roughly the same items every game. no matter what. at all. NO MATTER WHO THEY ARE PLAYING><

TL;DR Item Diversity is cool. Having Diverse PLAYSTYLES is far better.
Not to the extent as in LoL though. It also varies from match to match, their strategies and their opposing heroes.

Fongletto

12-19-2012

Dota2 also has Oceanic servers

Fire Lord Iroh

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSxCaedmon View Post
Item Diversity is a cool thing to discuss, but when you talk about DOTA you open up a whole new can of issues with that game. Sure they might have "good, unique item choices" but mainly when you look at the list of 25-35 heroes (if that) out of their tier lists, most of the players build roughly the same items every game. no matter what. at all. NO MATTER WHO THEY ARE PLAYING><

TL;DR Item Diversity is cool. Having Diverse PLAYSTYLES is far better.
I am sorry, but this is wrong on so many levels. I don't mean to come off as rude, but judging by this post you have never played a game of DotA in your life. If you did, it was more or less purely pub matches. People don't always build the same items in DotA. Like LoL, heroes have core items, yes, but their builds vary moreso than they do in LoL.

Opreich

12-19-2012

Quote:
It's very difficult to determine relative worth of items in DotA as high-tiered items tend to be very gold-inefficient, but good players in carry roles tend to average 500-600 GPM (which from a raw count, tends to be higher than League's average; however, I generally consider League and DotA to have very similar gold valuations). I'd say that overall, deaths included, the gold economy isn't too different for non-support champs.

And yes, Flash is indeed an equalizing mechanic in LoL.
High end items are gold inefficient on purpose, because they are slot efficient.

It makes inventory space a much stronger resource.

But I'm sure you already knew this.

Surisis

12-19-2012

This OP made me howl! I think this is the best trolling i've ever seen in the forums.

Kwisatz Haderach

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox P McCloud View Post
With the exception of Tide's and Puck's ultimates, ALL ult-CC goes through BKB, no exceptions.

Fire Lord Iroh

12-19-2012

Quote:
Quote:
It's very difficult to determine relative worth of items in DotA as high-tiered items tend to be very gold-inefficient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opreich View Post
High end items are gold inefficient on purpose, because they are slot efficient.

It makes inventory space a much stronger resource.

But I'm sure you already knew this.
Pretty much this. High end items in DotA also take up a lot of inventory space during their making. One item to note in particular is Eye of Skadi which has 4 components leading into its completion. Freeing up that inventory space is critical as you have to factor in the fact that you will have boots and you should always be carrying a TP scroll. This leaves no room for wards, which as we all know is not a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surisis View Post
This OP made me howl! I think this is the best trolling i've ever seen in the forums.
How so? It's fairly true to be honest.

seajaydub

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheapy View Post
Unplayable? Visage just got picked twice in D2L and TC in WCG for DotA.
Tauren is also a tier 1 champ lolol. Methinks the OP just can't play Dota very well.