Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OH NO ITS LU BU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I wasn't a big fan of the final product either. I wasn't the lead designer on it, I was QA. I learned a lot working on it, though.

To learn about design, though, requires a more sophisticated outlook on it. What does it do well? How does it succeed? Why do fans typically not like it?

Additionally, ask yourself about an old game you love, and think about what sucks about it. Part of this is to go through the mental space: you can learn something from every game there is.
Suikoden 2 is the pinnacle of JRPGs. :|

Morello

Lead Designer

12-19-2012
26 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandolin View Post
What do we do if we have the drive but don't know how/where to get the experience? I just got graduated with a college degree, which is great - unfortunately, after having experienced what the industry was like, I realized near the very end of my education that the field I was studying in (music) was not something I wanted a job in, for various reasons. So now I'm stuck with a crappy minimum wage job and a useless degree without the knowledge or experience to do something I actually WANT to do.

I've always been interested in game design, and actually briefly considered applying at Riot a couple times, but never did because I knew I didn't have any experience. The problem is, I wasted so much time dedicating myself to something completely unrelated, I've missed opportunities to actually dive into design and have no clue where to go next. If there were openings for low-level positions where someone with the mind, talent, creativity, and drive for it (which I believe I have) could get into the action and learn along the way, that would be fantastic, but even the lowest level design-related job listing you guys have (Content Designer) requires 1+ years of experience. I can't exactly just go out and make a game like you guys say to - I've had to completely devote my life to music for the past 8-10 years and had no time to pick up the tools necessary for something that fits me better, but I so want to learn and be a part of a team like this. I'm stuck. D:

Edit: Hmm, perhaps a QA position would be right for me, since it's a similar basic idea. Only problem is I'm not gold-ranked because I always play with friends and never ranked soloqueue. I'm gonna give things a more thourough look in the next few days.
Entry level is good. My advice to get you started is to do what it takes - get a job in QA at a big publisher - typically they're quite willing to throw bodies at keyboards. From there, learn everything you can and work 100% towards making what you do better. Build relationships. Hone skills. Destroy your ego

I actually was a waiter with no college degree when I got in the industry at 27. I come from a dirt-poor background and had to ride the bus 2 and half hours each way to my first game job. Circumstantially, there is a way if you have the drive, talent and actual desire to make it happen. A starting point is really helpful though

Also, live in California, Washington or Austin. If you're serious about this, you'll need to move or live in one of those places.

Venaccio

12-19-2012

Quote:
Entry level is good. My advice to get you started is to do what it takes - get a job in QA at a big publisher - typically they're quite willing to throw bodies at keyboards. From there, learn everything you can and work 100% towards making what you do better. Build relationships. Hone skills. Destroy your ego

I actually was a waiter with no college degree when I got in the industry at 27. I come from a dirt-poor background and had to ride the bus 2 and half hours each way to my first game job. Circumstantially, there is a way if you have the drive, talent and actual desire to make it happen. A starting point is really helpful though

Also, live in California, Washington or Austin. If you're serious about this, you'll need to move or live in one of those places.
Props to you for following your dream and putting up with all that jazz to get to where you are today.

Seraei

12-19-2012

I think it is hard for a lot of newer graduates to get jobs in the industry right now, as there are a ton of companies being shut down at larger publishers, leading to an influx of experienced industry vets looking for work.

I constantly have applications out at Riot, and have a few friends at the company, but really, with my lack of related professional experience, and the fact that I am pretty much a jack of all trades yet master of none, it is hard for me to stand out in a pile of dozens of applicants. I have experience in stage tech work, in game development, and have worked as a volunteer at a few game shows over the years, but since I haven't actually been hired by a game company it is hard for me to show that off.

Gotta keep hoping that maybe someday I will get picked out of that initial pile and get an interview, but it has been a while, so they might just not need those positions filled at the moment. That or maybe Riot is just on a hiring freeze for the holidays so they can enjoy being with their families :P

Morello

Lead Designer

12-19-2012
27 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraei View Post
I think it is hard for a lot of newer graduates to get jobs in the industry right now, as there are a ton of companies being shut down at larger publishers, leading to an influx of experienced industry vets looking for work.

I constantly have applications out at Riot, and have a few friends at the company, but really, with my lack of related professional experience, and the fact that I am pretty much a jack of all trades yet master of none, it is hard for me to stand out in a pile of dozens of applicants. I have experience in stage tech work, in game development, and have worked as a volunteer at a few game shows over the years, but since I haven't actually been hired by a game company it is hard for me to show that off.

Gotta keep hoping that maybe someday I will get picked out of that initial pile and get an interview, but it has been a while, so they might just not need those positions filled at the moment. That or maybe Riot is just on a hiring freeze for the holidays so they can enjoy being with their families :P
The job market is more competitive right now - totally true. Makes it harder than normal.

urgayluver

12-19-2012

I have a question for you guys. I am currently a full time student and am working toward a degree in Creative Writing. I love to write screenplays and stories and was wondering if there was a future for me in gaming? I would love to be a part of a team that could create amazing stories that would pull people out of theaters and into chairs at home dying to get to the next level.

From what I've gathered, the big guys at the top usually create the story with the designers and developers helping as well. How can someone like me, with little to no coding experience or understanding of creating a game get a job in this field? Thank you!

Seraei

12-19-2012

Quote:
The job market is more competitive right now - totally true. Makes it harder than normal.
I think the real trick is to somehow convince Morello to be your best friend. Perhaps cookies and daily tales of adventure will do it?

slamor

12-19-2012

Quote:

On the above note, thats how you know someone really badly wants to work for you riot. Also do not take the remark about how most of your recruits come from Trearch too seriously. This is a reflection on how grueling customer support can be.

Treantwuver

12-19-2012

In simple terms, Riot wants people that are actually smart.

Aheadatime

12-19-2012

If I were a famous musician, could I become a 'Riot employee' by jamming for you guys? Talk a walk through the studio with a pocket amp? Roll the drummer through on a wheeled platform perhaps?