Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JackAssCid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I worked at Microsoft, on the XBox360 launch and as QA for Perfect Dark Zero. That experience + being in a top guild got me in as QA for ArenaNet, where I later became a designer.
perfect dark zero you mean the game that was complete **** and disgraced its predecessor?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JackAssCid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Honestly, this. School and education are valuable, but a degree does not get you a job, it lets you start trying to get a job that requires a degree. There's no entitlement from having a degree that gets you a job.

Requirements aren't there to make people feel warm and fuzzy, they're there to make sure people have the appropriate skillset. Some jobs are fine with less experience (design can be one of these!), others are not.
yes and this is whats wrong with trying to find work. everyone wants you to have experience but are unwilling to take a chance on the guy who has zero experience so he can gain experience. hence the circle of i cant get a job because i have no experience but i have no experience because i have cant get a job.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OH NO ITS LU BU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAssCid View Post
yes and this is whats wrong with trying to find work. everyone wants you to have experience but are unwilling to take a chance on the guy who has zero experience so he can gain experience. hence the circle of i cant get a job because i have no experience but i have no experience because i have cant get a job.
In today's market you have to create unto thine self experience. Create something, thought craft is, run analysis on pre-existing data. Do something people in the same position as you aren't doing to show employers you'll go the extra mile.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

slamor

Senior Member

12-19-2012

This time I remembered to copy the link while logging in. I like your anology of the oppurtunity cost of not hiring a person Lyte. I gotta remember that for job applications and hopfully cut down on my time finding a job significantly and you really mean it when you say you do not need a game studio to design something. I used paper and colored pencils to completely revise the game of Perimeter. Rushing leemos was the obvious way to go as their counter AKA anything that can fly took 50% longer to get when built as fast as possible.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gill Landbridge

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Our bar for QA is quite a bit higher at Riot.
This is no joke. I've worked successfully in QA for almost 6 years and it's still not enough to hear anything back after applying! C'est la vie!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

slamor

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiradle3 View Post
riot hasn't been actively employing 'outsiders' for almost 9 months now, thus the ridiculous requirements for a job that mostly includes copying and pasting champions, nintendo rom style blowing in servers to fix them and pressing buttons. most of their new recruits are sent directly from tencent, and all current employees are required to learn chinese
So, is this why the support is a copy/pasta lols. "most of their new recruits are sent directly from tencent" The only evidence you have on this is their perfectely awsome support. No longer it took support three tries to answer a simple yes or no if my perma ban could be removed. Looks like I have to put yes or no in chinese next time.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yomeiro

Senior Member

12-19-2012

As a really pessimistic person, just reading the Red posts made me kinda feel like trash, just living it's life on earth and not knowing what to do.
Well I'm probably to pessimistic but whatever @.@


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cerys

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-19-2012

Just curious here, but I applied for the "Writer" job awhile back(it was titled something different then, with slightly different requirements as shown on the OPs link).

I never heard back from anyone, which is fine, since I didn't really expect to if no one was interested.

Since then, though, I've re-started college(online) for Creative Writing, and have begun self-publishing my writing(34 stories and counting, approximately 1-2 going up a week). Each story is between 3,000 to ~13,000 words, with many being continuations in a series(my longest series is approximately 90,000 words and has been very well received/my best seller). I make my own cover art(using bought stock images and then tweaking designs, finding commercially useable fonts, text/graphic effects, etc). I also format everything on my own(extensive knowledge of proper eBook formatting guidelines), edit it, do keyword research, other research, and all of that.

Long story short, it's pretty legit and while my writing isn't focused on gaming lore per se(I write where the readers are, which I still find enjoyable but it's not always my preferred genre), I am 100% positive that I can easily translate my skills into a gaming market. I have reader reviews to back up how "good" my stories are, plus an easily readable spreadsheet full of sales numbers for every one of my stories for more numbers proof.

Anyways! Is this "extra" experience on top of what I applied with before(other writing experience, have written novels though none published at that time, lots of gaming experience, etc, not really important since I was obviously not qualified enough back then), enough to potentially re-apply and get more consideration? And/or are there potential unposted writing internships I could apply for/request in order to get some experience in a more corporate-professional way(plus possibly college credits if my school's willing to do that)?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

12-19-2012
24 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAssCid View Post
perfect dark zero you mean the game that was complete **** and disgraced its predecessor?
I wasn't a big fan of the final product either. I wasn't the lead designer on it, I was QA. I learned a lot working on it, though.

To learn about design, though, requires a more sophisticated outlook on it. What does it do well? How does it succeed? Why do fans typically not like it?

Additionally, ask yourself about an old game you love, and think about what sucks about it. Part of this is to go through the mental space: you can learn something from every game there is.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

12-19-2012
25 of 45 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAssCid View Post
yes and this is whats wrong with trying to find work. everyone wants you to have experience but are unwilling to take a chance on the guy who has zero experience so he can gain experience. hence the circle of i cant get a job because i have no experience but i have no experience because i have cant get a job.
This attitude gets one no closer to learning or getting experience. While this is a difficulty, the only question that matters is "how are you going to make it?" If you are exceptional (which is essentially what we're asking for) then you will make that occur