The one thing that DotA has that League doesn't

First Riot Post
123456 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ergheis

12-18-2012

This is literally something that DEFINES DoTA and League, it's not a benefit one has over the other.

LoL intentionally has core items for specific roles and Champions for specific purposes, while DoTA has item builds for specific purposes and Champions for specific roles.

If you want it put differently,, LoL has Attack Damage, Ability Power, and Tank Stats, while DoTA has the three specific stats from Warcraft 3.

This is just a choice. So far as I know, Riot's designers frown on items so powerful they anchor the game (see: Morello's hate for DFG). They want champions to be selected as the anchors to your team ability, not items.

Dreggon

12-18-2012

I couldn't find a DotA item that gave a small amount of flat mana so I could use an ability on a bear summon which doesn't have mana. I was sad.

ldqpbl

12-18-2012

...i'm not a dota fan (or hater) but i took one look at that awesome map and got jealous

RisottoNero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreggon View Post
I couldn't find a DotA item that gave a small amount of flat mana so I could use an ability on a bear summon which doesn't have mana. I was sad.
Point booster. Try again.

Now that you talk about that, I don't know if that gives him a mana pool even if it's flat mana.

FancifuHarlequin

12-18-2012

Dota also scales in an entirely different way from lol.

Rakaydos

12-18-2012

The changes to Black cleaver, Tiamat, and the new QQS upgrade are all example of Riot indirectly buffing less played character classes.

Let's face it, Mercury Scimitar is the Lol version of BKB. It isnt as op, but then, nothing in LoL is as OP as it's nearest equivilant in DotA. ("If everything is OP, nothing is.") It's strong MR plus a clense on a stick aimed for melee AD champs, which includes melee carries, a class rendered unviable because of chain CC and AP nukes.

Uthrael

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

I think the S3 patch is moving in the right direction for the game as a whole. (i.e making the game a more diversified "balenced" game). In my opinion, an item should help channel your role more precisely for that specific match you've been qued in. I can't think of an item so far that I've seen be completely ignored in this patch. (Zephyr's time will come!)
Item Diversity is a cool thing to discuss, but when you talk about DOTA you open up a whole new can of issues with that game. Sure they might have "good, unique item choices" but mainly when you look at the list of 25-35 heroes (if that) out of their tier lists, most of the players build roughly the same items every game. no matter what. at all. NO MATTER WHO THEY ARE PLAYING><

TL;DR Item Diversity is cool. Having Diverse PLAYSTYLES is far better.

Sheapy

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearZocom View Post
actually as a dota player myself i am sad to inform you that there is a tier of champions in dota that are basically unplayable past a pub level.

Visage and tauren are two who immediately come to mind other names such as medusa and slark come to mind.
Unplayable? Visage just got picked twice in D2L and TC in WCG for DotA.

CBlazer

12-18-2012

I thought this thread was going to be about voice comm.

Fire Lord Iroh

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearZocom View Post
actually as a dota player myself i am sad to inform you that there is a tier of champions in dota that are basically unplayable past a pub level.

Visage and tauren are two who immediately come to mind other names such as medusa and slark come to mind.
Visage and Tauren Chieftan are actually top tier characters. I am saying this as someone who used to play DotA every day of my life before I came to LoL. Medusa also isn't a bad pick either as she has strong lane dominance and remains tanky while being able to be built in various manners. I will agree that Slark is more for pub stomping, however he has potential to have viability outside of pubs as a situational pick.

123456 ... 11