Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Count Swagula

Junior Member

12-18-2012

This thread is depressing. I'm already a junior in college for computer games production and I cant even imagine where to start. I don't even know how to get internships. I have no programming experience and I have wanted to be a designer since I was a child, but it just seems impossible


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sex King Shaco

Senior Member

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiya View Post
Thirding this, as a terribly junior member of the Riot team. I'm obviously not in a place where I hire people like Lyte or Morello, but I can talk a little bit about what got me a job here.

Over the summer I had the wild idea to turn my passion for UI modification and coding into a position in the industry; so I did. I started working on the exceptionally rough UI for The Secret World, finding exploits, fixing bugs, creating value, and helping drive that fledgling coding community.

Long story short, I levelled up my resume and added a very concrete example of my love for games to my portfolio. Like most of you I had little projects here and there, but without putting the hours in to figure out what I could do and make it happen, I certainly wouldn't be on a team as chock-full-of-awesome as Riot is.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.. Why wait for the community API?
I want to thank you all for the information from this thread. It really has helped me review a bit of what I really should aim to do to have any chance in this industry. Currently I'm leaning towards a lot of video editing with some concept art but lack knowledge in other areas that'd set me apart from the rest.

Since being in my previous college I sort of got screwed over with classes and the like I've been looking for other means to meet my true goal in life. Another thing is I'm a highly competitive type gamer who likes to analyze and work with everything I have at my disposal. I'd love to be a part of Riot as I have a large passion for the game as well but for right now that'll remain a dream until I progress further in my knowledge base. Once again thanks for the insight though and thank you for keeping league so fun and entracing on almost every aspect (in and out of game)!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CynicalGiant

Senior Member

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Swagula View Post
This thread is depressing. I'm already a junior in college for computer games production and I cant even imagine where to start. I don't even know how to get internships. I have no programming experience and I have wanted to be a designer since I was a child, but it just seems impossible
There are tons of books, videos and online tutorials about how to get started in programming/designing games. Just make one, you will learn a lot and get experience with the field.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AdventHawk7

Senior Member

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damiya View Post
Thirding this, as a terribly junior member of the Riot team. I'm obviously not in a place where I hire people like Lyte or Morello, but I can talk a little bit about what got me a job here.

Over the summer I had the wild idea to turn my passion for UI modification and coding into a position in the industry; so I did. I started working on the exceptionally rough UI for The Secret World, finding exploits, fixing bugs, creating value, and helping drive that fledgling coding community.

Long story short, I levelled up my resume and added a very concrete example of my love for games to my portfolio. Like most of you I had little projects here and there, but without putting the hours in to figure out what I could do and make it happen, I certainly wouldn't be on a team as chock-full-of-awesome as Riot is.

I guess what I'm trying to say is.. Why wait for the community API?
Damiya since you're here, how come your streaming thread got closed and your stream says it isn't found?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Router ISIS 49

Senior Member

12-18-2012

I foresee that this gentleman will NOT have a meaningful career


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crusty Tha Clown

Senior Member

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Honestly, this. School and education are valuable, but a degree does not get you a job, it lets you start trying to get a job that requires a degree. There's no entitlement from having a degree that gets you a job.

Requirements aren't there to make people feel warm and fuzzy, they're there to make sure people have the appropriate skillset. Some jobs are fine with less experience (design can be one of these!), others are not.

This is true. It was finally my fraternity that ended up getting me a job. Long story short, I went to an interview, and the manager didn't even look at me in the interview while his panel grilled me. Next day he gave me a call and said that he knew my values because he was also a brother, then he hired me.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Count Swagula

Junior Member

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalGiant View Post
There are tons of books, videos and online tutorials about how to get started in programming/designing games. Just make one, you will learn a lot and get experience with the field.
I don't want to program. I hate it >.<

I just want to design and make games fun.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PG Bob Chen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaka View Post
That's the funny thing about setting standards, if you don't like it... start your own multi-billion dollar company.
My god your logic.... so bad. Let me just wake up one day with a multi-billion dollar company because you know EVERY company starts as that......


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZeroKuno

Senior Member

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
"I would do this for League."
"I want to build this for Riot."
"I have a great idea for this new feature."
I want to focus on what you guys have and improve it and make it 10x better. That's my stance. Whether it's analyzing player statistics or player behavior I would love and enjoy expanding the work you guys have done and even further.
I believe that's the only department I would want to work in if I decided to work for Riot.
I always thought I wanted to do game design and what not or create mechanics in a game but I enjoy helping out other people and put systems in place that prevent toxic behavior.
Having an idea is great but going out and executing the idea is a different story. I want to be part of executing the idea and making it shine.

What good is an idea if no one can execute it?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Commando Slap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-18-2012

Hey Riot, there's been a lot of talk here about the design/PB&J/technical side of things here.

But what about the creative side?