@Morello, can you explain the design philosophy used for nerfing champions?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

12-18-2012
23 of 32 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyRawr View Post
Zyra's snare speed also...-.-. Good grief. Her bugged Ult too.
That is a nerf I'm happy with. That skill doesn't need to be that fast.

Morello

Lead Designer

12-18-2012
24 of 32 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lansi1ng View Post
Can you tell me when the next patch will be out where you will fix Diana's overnerfed character?
Not until after the holidays, sad to say.

Kchaosrei

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

glad riot has admitted that there is an issue here. But i would love to hear from Statikk about what was the though process that got us here with dia.

Rengar is just a beast of a problem and his last nerf wasn't that bad on paper but seems to have rippled through his abilities.

ScottyRawr

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Even the bugged Ult? nono! (Since that isn't a nerf...it's a bug!)

C3ta

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-18-2012

I wonder what your position on melee carry (mainly yi, fiora and tryndamere) balance. I, for one, am quite satisfied in their underwhelming state. I think they are too hard to balance and case of blatant OPness result in less fun that them being on the weak side.

bierfaust

12-18-2012

Quote:
Not until after the holidays, sad to say.

Why reverse the nerfs on Diana?

The nerfs did their job, she isn't a 1,2,3 face roll champion anymore. Breaking up her combo so that you have a chance to escape, where as before you had no chance of getting away if she lands her Q was stupid. Now it's balanced.

Strossus Gran

12-18-2012

Quote:

Diana: We overnerfed here, agreed. Will fix next patch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...FcYij2uY#t=95s

wcrkless

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightestStarr View Post
for awhile they seemed to be using small nerfs over several patches until this one where they just completely nuked 2 heroes from orbit.
yah nuked them from orbit straight to there grave XD

HotSauceJohnson

12-18-2012

Quote:
Can you look into the animation on it? I've always felt that it's either too difficult to see or that where the actual snare part of it hits is not easily communicated to me.

Critkeeper

12-18-2012

Quote:
A little of this - yes. It's a bigger issue than I can give the needed credence here in this thread. This is a team-level effort to deal with...it's really crunchy.
I believe I may be able to help. Here is a game play pattern not present in any DOTA style game currently:

The target ally melee champion is tethered to your champion as long as they stay within 500 range of each other. Any damage you suffer, after resistances, your target champion also suffers. Any disables you suffer, after tenacity and crowd control reduction, your target champion also suffers. Your target is immune to any other sources of damage or disables. You cannot be both the initiator and the recipient of a Blood Pact, whether from yourself of from another champion. Enemy Champions can impede the tether. Duration 6 seconds. Kills and assists increase the duration by 2 seconds.

The specifics aren't important (whether an item active or a champion ability or the numbers or the other specifics), as I said its a game play pattern that I'm trying to communicate; namely, zoning tethers. Currently ranged carries are superior to melee carries because they have a larger zone of control and damage, and are able to do damage without taking damage. This pattern is essentially the same thing for melee carries, and provides counter play by impeding the tether or using strong disengage skills.