Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

1st HanarSpectre

12-18-2012

That's pretty typical.
What I personally find hilarious though, is that the vast majority of the people who started Riot games would not even be considered to be hired by the very standard they set.

Berri Bunny

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st HanarSpectre View Post
That's pretty typical.
What I personally find hilarious though, is that the vast majority of the people who started Riot games would not even be considered to be hired by the very standard they set.
This.

Supaka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berri Bunny View Post
I bet most of the original designers didn't have 10+ years under their belt.

Also, years means nothing. Making that a requirement shows you know nothing.
This just blew my mind... Years of experience mean nothing?

Posting in a thread with people who've never had a job.

Supaka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iateurcookie View Post
There are two ways you can take those kind of requirements:

Negative outlook view: OH GAWD, THOSE ARE UNPOSSIBLE!

Realistic view: They want someone with a ton of experience because they have no idea what they're doing, or the person who does know what they're doing doesn't have time to do a billion different jobs....OPPORTUNITY! CHA-CHING!

It's not about what they want, because most people are busy and would rather have YOU tell them what you can give them. That is the difference between someone with a lot of experience and someone with jack for experience.

10 year experience guy: "Oh yeah I have done this kind of thing before, I did (this this this this and this) but I have been flipping (awesome marketing idea) in my head for awhile, and having studied the history of your company, I think it would work extremely well, and I think so because of my experience with (this). I also have a proven track record of working with people in successful environments, so I can tailor that awesome plan I had to fit in even better with your company, and we can work toward (ongoing realistic goal)."

No experience and doesn't know why he wants to get hired guy: "I went to college, I like your game, and I think you should hire me! I'm young! You tell me what to do and I'll do it!"

^^^^That guy will not get hired because he creates work for people. They have to do his job in order to tell him what to do. No thanks.

Opportunistic new guy: "I will admit, I've not worked professionally in this field for long; however, I believe I am more current on the latest research than someone who has been in the field for ages is, and I always keep current with the effective marketing trends. Here's an example (give example of research you've personally done, showing that you don't need someone to tell you how to work, you can make and find your own work). In addition, I DO have a background in this field, I've done (insert notable accomplishments) and I only see my career expanding from this point. I have worked with people who have been in the industry for years, and I know the processes they go through to do this job. I am very qualified to do the job."

Opportunistic new guy would have an extremely high chance of getting the job. One reason is pay; often people will see "new and awesome" as meaning "getting an awesome person to do a job at a lower cost compared to someone who knows what they're worth." Basically, they are trading their know-how for a better resume. The person hiring is like "Woot, save money and get the same thing," and opportunistic guy says "Woot, I don't need a zillion dollars, but working at this level of marketing would be HUGE for my career going forward, and I can always negotiate a higher pay after I prove I'm worth it."

Pretty much this: You want a good job? Make it easy for someone to hire you. Do their work for them, even during the interview. Volunteer information about yourself, ask them specifics on what they are looking for BEFORE the interview, tailor yourself to fill a role. Do research, work with people in the field (some college professors have been doing their jobs for over 30 years and are crafty SOBs, and many will converse with non-students via email if you're interesting and they get something out of it). Basically, it's not THEIR job to hire you, it's your job to hire yourself, and they just have to sign a few dotted lines to make it official.

Hope this helps you future job hunters.
You are awesome by the way. Just a friendly pat on the back

Supaka

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st HanarSpectre View Post
That's pretty typical.
That's the funny thing about setting standards, if you don't like it... start your own multi-billion dollar company.

Berri Bunny

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaka View Post
This just blew my mind... Years of experience mean nothing?

Posting in a thread with people who've never had a job.
You're so unintelligent.

A schmoe with no work ethic could have as many years as they wanted.

A new guy happy with his new job could be very lucrative.

Stfu kid.

Knote

12-18-2012

Well brand doesn't take too many games to get good at, not too unreasonable.

Siky

12-18-2012

You should realize that posting those kind of job requirements also shuts down thousands of fresh out of school grads from trying to post. I bet you can still get the job without 10+ years of experience if you can show them that you have the ability to do the job, but of course, there's always a strategy in place when you do something like post job listings for your company.

Supaka

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berri Bunny View Post
You're so unintelligent.

A schmoe with no work ethic could have as many years as they wanted.

A new guy happy with his new job could be very lucrative.

Stfu kid.
I'm 29, I have 7 years experience working in my field as an Engineer. I currently work for the second best managed company in Canada and we have 11 billion dollars worth of work in outstanding contacts ahead of us. In June, I'm building a subway station in Toronto, Ontario.

"Kid" - It's been well established a long time ago only children use this term. That would further reinforce your inability to conceive the fact any sensible employer is looking for RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE over absolutely EVERYTHING ELSE. It's the #1 most important thing when hiring a new employee.

Cite your information? What @#%$ing company do you know that hires people based on hiring people with good personalities? Or "Happy" people.

What planet do you even live on.

Kommotion

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iateurcookie View Post
There are two ways you can take those kind of requirements:

Negative outlook view: OH GAWD, THOSE ARE UNPOSSIBLE!

Realistic view: They want someone with a ton of experience because they have no idea what they're doing, or the person who does know what they're doing doesn't have time to do a billion different jobs....OPPORTUNITY! CHA-CHING!

It's not about what they want, because most people are busy and would rather have YOU tell them what you can give them. That is the difference between someone with a lot of experience and someone with jack for experience.

10 year experience guy: "Oh yeah I have done this kind of thing before, I did (this this this this and this) but I have been flipping (awesome marketing idea) in my head for awhile, and having studied the history of your company, I think it would work extremely well, and I think so because of my experience with (this). I also have a proven track record of working with people in successful environments, so I can tailor that awesome plan I had to fit in even better with your company, and we can work toward (ongoing realistic goal)."

No experience and doesn't know why he wants to get hired guy: "I went to college, I like your game, and I think you should hire me! I'm young! You tell me what to do and I'll do it!"

^^^^That guy will not get hired because he creates work for people. They have to do his job in order to tell him what to do. No thanks.

Opportunistic new guy: "I will admit, I've not worked professionally in this field for long; however, I believe I am more current on the latest research than someone who has been in the field for ages is, and I always keep current with the effective marketing trends. Here's an example (give example of research you've personally done, showing that you don't need someone to tell you how to work, you can make and find your own work). In addition, I DO have a background in this field, I've done (insert notable accomplishments) and I only see my career expanding from this point. I have worked with people who have been in the industry for years, and I know the processes they go through to do this job. I am very qualified to do the job."

Opportunistic new guy would have an extremely high chance of getting the job. One reason is pay; often people will see "new and awesome" as meaning "getting an awesome person to do a job at a lower cost compared to someone who knows what they're worth." Basically, they are trading their know-how for a better resume. The person hiring is like "Woot, save money and get the same thing," and opportunistic guy says "Woot, I don't need a zillion dollars, but working at this level of marketing would be HUGE for my career going forward, and I can always negotiate a higher pay after I prove I'm worth it."

Pretty much this: You want a good job? Make it easy for someone to hire you. Do their work for them, even during the interview. Volunteer information about yourself, ask them specifics on what they are looking for BEFORE the interview, tailor yourself to fill a role. Do research, work with people in the field (some college professors have been doing their jobs for over 30 years and are crafty SOBs, and many will converse with non-students via email if you're interesting and they get something out of it). Basically, it's not THEIR job to hire you, it's your job to hire yourself, and they just have to sign a few dotted lines to make it official.

Hope this helps you future job hunters.
This. Exactly what I was thinking.