Riots Job Requirements are ridiculous

First Riot Post
12345612 ... 45
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eruka Frog

12-18-2012

the thing about "job requirements" is they always cast their nets in search of the best fish they can get. you have to understand that the people doing the hiring are kind of responsible for the talent they secure and MOST of the hiring people have no idea what is realistic.

if you want the job and you're right for the job, you keep pushing until you get the job

zypher

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

All companies everywhere for every job type and position imaginable will overstate their job requirements. This thins the applications to only those that are either overqualified, or are at least confident in their abilities to succeed.

I'm sure they would consider exceptional applications that might only have 5 - 8 years marketing experience.

Elliot

12-18-2012

Are your parents forcing you to find a job or something and you think that there would be nothing better than to work at riot?

Kim Jong Peel

12-18-2012

They don't want to give just anybody the job to be head of marketing for a multi-billion dollar company.

IRuleAll

12-18-2012

Seems normal to me. As a programmer with almost 7 years of experience, I had to go back to school to finally get a job offer when I got laid off. Took almost 3 years to get an offer, because they saw I was close to a degree as a double major in research physics and applied mathematics.

flyingtoasters

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-18-2012

hey roit i rly <3 league and am good with computers you should hire me ill work hard lol tons of damage

PowderToast

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodka and Kush View Post
https://riotgames-openhire.silkroad....on=1&jobid=181

- Work tirelessly to launch the League of Legends brand into a new dimension of brand recognition and reach, forging a cohesive marketing strategy and identifying new avenues for recognition and exposure

Experienced: you’ve got ten or more years of professional marketing or brand management experience building kickass brands with wide reach;

wtf rofl..thats just a few
Well let us see, starting with College alone I have Sophomore year job at an online marketing agency doing touch ups on their logs pre-print up, junior year i started my first internship which carried into my "fifth year" of college which would be four years right there...but, if you also include my actual jobs working as a comp tech, door to door salesman, and brand executioner ( don't ask, it was dumbest job ever), etc etc etc ... i could say ten years in a portfolio and get away with it....

in fact, if it paid better than it most likely does, i'd consider applying for Riot and moving to CA one of the most broke and yet somehow incredibly over priced states in North America...

the other stuff idk...just know from experience that "ten year" is simply a matter of A dedication to your craft, and B understanding sometimes two years at two dif professional level careers equals four years to most "bosses" ...

Also, Military exp typically shows well and counts as four years experience. also shows you have been trained to follow orders something which almost all jobs will be excited about. Just probably should leave out the part where you are trained to kill, and your hands are licensed weapons, etc etc etc XP

Ipitydafool

12-18-2012

Word of advice. Never go for the dream job right out of the gate. Keep it as a goal in mind as you work towards it over the first 5-10 years of your career. Who knows. Riot might not be around in 5 years or you might not care about League, but there will always be video game companies needed senior marketers. So start where everyone else does, at the bottom, and work your way up.

Iateurcookie

12-18-2012

There are two ways you can take those kind of requirements:

Negative outlook view: OH GAWD, THOSE ARE UNPOSSIBLE!

Realistic view: They want someone with a ton of experience because they have no idea what they're doing, or the person who does know what they're doing doesn't have time to do a billion different jobs....OPPORTUNITY! CHA-CHING!

It's not about what they want, because most people are busy and would rather have YOU tell them what you can give them. That is the difference between someone with a lot of experience and someone with jack for experience.

10 year experience guy: "Oh yeah I have done this kind of thing before, I did (this this this this and this) but I have been flipping (awesome marketing idea) in my head for awhile, and having studied the history of your company, I think it would work extremely well, and I think so because of my experience with (this). I also have a proven track record of working with people in successful environments, so I can tailor that awesome plan I had to fit in even better with your company, and we can work toward (ongoing realistic goal)."

No experience and doesn't know why he wants to get hired guy: "I went to college, I like your game, and I think you should hire me! I'm young! You tell me what to do and I'll do it!"

^^^^That guy will not get hired because he creates work for people. They have to do his job in order to tell him what to do. No thanks.

Opportunistic new guy: "I will admit, I've not worked professionally in this field for long; however, I believe I am more current on the latest research than someone who has been in the field for ages is, and I always keep current with the effective marketing trends. Here's an example (give example of research you've personally done, showing that you don't need someone to tell you how to work, you can make and find your own work). In addition, I DO have a background in this field, I've done (insert notable accomplishments) and I only see my career expanding from this point. I have worked with people who have been in the industry for years, and I know the processes they go through to do this job. I am very qualified to do the job."

Opportunistic new guy would have an extremely high chance of getting the job. One reason is pay; often people will see "new and awesome" as meaning "getting an awesome person to do a job at a lower cost compared to someone who knows what they're worth." Basically, they are trading their know-how for a better resume. The person hiring is like "Woot, save money and get the same thing," and opportunistic guy says "Woot, I don't need a zillion dollars, but working at this level of marketing would be HUGE for my career going forward, and I can always negotiate a higher pay after I prove I'm worth it."

Pretty much this: You want a good job? Make it easy for someone to hire you. Do their work for them, even during the interview. Volunteer information about yourself, ask them specifics on what they are looking for BEFORE the interview, tailor yourself to fill a role. Do research, work with people in the field (some college professors have been doing their jobs for over 30 years and are crafty SOBs, and many will converse with non-students via email if you're interesting and they get something out of it). Basically, it's not THEIR job to hire you, it's your job to hire yourself, and they just have to sign a few dotted lines to make it official.

Hope this helps you future job hunters.

Berri Bunny

12-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vodka and Kush View Post
3 downvotes rofl..how is 10+ yrs experiecne not a stretch..
I bet most of the original designers didn't have 10+ years under their belt.

Also, years means nothing. Making that a requirement shows you know nothing.

12345612 ... 45