Update Team Sidebar?

First Riot Post
123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

boourns

UI Designer

12-13-2012
4 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHat27 View Post
No offense, but that argument is kinda silly to me for one simple reason:

High ranked players already do look over to see what team mates have their ults up. With this we can tell if our support has their heal, if our carries has their ignites, and if anyone can clarity in case the fight takes a while. While newer players may not find all this information as useful, I'm sure lots of people in solo ranked queue would love to know if they should try to wait that extra 7 seconds for that last person's ignite to be up.

Edit: In fact, people also look over there all the time to see how low their team mates are on health and mana. Playing as Shen top he could possibly save his ult knowing that an ally has his flash up, or save one ally who doesn't have flash up and leave the one that does have it alone.
Not sure how you can make that statement about high level players. What evidence do you have? Our eye tracking studies suggest otherwise. Even if that were the case, we wouldn't make the feature if it was only effective for high level players. Let me be clear that I think the information can be useful, but there are problems with presenting it *effectively* that make it a lower priority for us vs. more high value changes.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

swan2swan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

12-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Not sure how you can make that statement about high level players. What evidence do you have? Our eye tracking studies suggest otherwise. Even if that were the case, we wouldn't make the feature if it was only effective for high level players. Let me be clear that I think the information can be useful, but there are problems with presenting it *effectively* that make it a lower priority for us vs. more high value changes.
What about just having it in the scoreboard for your team? You can already see what Summoner Spells they took there; why not have you be able to see what the cooldowns of their abilities are?

Note that this would ONLY be for your allies. When it comes to the enemy, you're on your own.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nutarama

Senior Member

12-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Not sure how you can make that statement about high level players. What evidence do you have? Our eye tracking studies suggest otherwise. Even if that were the case, we wouldn't make the feature if it was only effective for high level players. Let me be clear that I think the information can be useful, but there are problems with presenting it *effectively* that make it a lower priority for us vs. more high value changes.
You do eye tracking studies on the current league UI? Where, when, and how? If you think team frames aren't useful, let me point out the immense amount of utility that most MMO players, including PvPers, get from team raid frames. If there's an observed lack of use of your sidebar, maybe that's because it's in the wrong bloody place. Eye movement to get from action-to-sidebar and back is too high, even if the sidebar has tons of useful information I could benefit from.

If you have trouble thinking up how to effectively present that data, maybe you should rethink your career path, because I certainly can. Add two more light buttons to the side of the portraits, color code them for summoner spells. Allow the frames to be moved around. Change the brightness of the portrait of a champion depending on how close they are to you.

Your logic for player utility is flawed, as well. Colorblind mode didn't exist for a long time because "only colorblind players would need it, and they're a tiny minority" and then once implemented, many players found the color changes useful even if they weren't colorblind. A change for a minority actually helped the wide majority. (watch some streams if you aren't convinced)

To be frank, just go ask a WoW PvP forum what the best UI mod(s) are, see what features it has, and start to include them in League.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quackas

Senior Member

12-13-2012

you ask what evidence he has that high elo players would use this information, as a low elo player i tell you I WOULD USE THAT INFO, and if I am at low elo lvls im damn sure ppl at a higher elo would 2.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BelligerentGnu

Senior Member

12-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Even if that were the case, we wouldn't make the feature if it was only effective for high level players. Let me be clear that I think the information can be useful, but there are problems with presenting it *effectively* that make it a lower priority for us vs. more high value changes.
I'm not sure what would be more high-value (aside from automated red/blue/drag/baron timers if you had vision of them dying). As for only high-level players - I really disagree with that. A high skill ceiling means room to improve as a player.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Caven the Vile

Junior Member

12-13-2012

What i hate most about side menu is green dot - it is binary and doesn't really make it clear what it represents, heck it doesn't even really pick people curiosity. Lately i played with a friend whose playing this game for around 20months and he didn't know what it was all about, heck i'm not even sure if anyone on my friendlist knew it before my explanation.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VeKtorWithAK

Senior Member

12-13-2012

Bourns, could you easily implement the cooldowns in the "tab" screen scoreboard where it clearly shows your team mates summoner choice already?

As a jungler, SS cooldowns are very important to me for ganking lanes, usually I have to ask the laners in chat if they have CD to land a stun/etc, being able to track that with a tab would be super convenient. Even for tracking spells like TP for planning drakes and cross lane ganks or showing your team mates that your smite is down for baron/dragon attempts.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheHat27

Senior Member

12-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Not sure how you can make that statement about high level players. What evidence do you have? Our eye tracking studies suggest otherwise. Even if that were the case, we wouldn't make the feature if it was only effective for high level players. Let me be clear that I think the information can be useful, but there are problems with presenting it *effectively* that make it a lower priority for us vs. more high value changes.
My evidence is that I have played in many many games where Junglers and other players will coordinate their cooldowns together before a teamfight. When I am jungling and about to gank a lane I always look and see if their ult is up, and if not I ask how much longer. If I had more time I would love to ask about their ignite/exhaust is up as well.

In addition to that, once again, we all already are trained to look and see if someone is about to re-spawn so we can delay killing Baron, and we look over to see how much health/mana a team mate has. And we look over there for a tiny green dot showing if their ult is up.

Honestly, having the ability to see if their Summoner Spells are up or not would save us tons of time and make it actually more worthwhile to pull our eyes from the fight to look over there for health/mana/ult because we would also gain more information.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

boourns

UI Designer

12-17-2012
5 of 5 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHat27 View Post
My evidence is that I have played in many many games where Junglers and other players will coordinate their cooldowns together before a teamfight. When I am jungling and about to gank a lane I always look and see if their ult is up, and if not I ask how much longer. If I had more time I would love to ask about their ignite/exhaust is up as well.

In addition to that, once again, we all already are trained to look and see if someone is about to re-spawn so we can delay killing Baron, and we look over to see how much health/mana a team mate has. And we look over there for a tiny green dot showing if their ult is up.

Honestly, having the ability to see if their Summoner Spells are up or not would save us tons of time and make it actually more worthwhile to pull our eyes from the fight to look over there for health/mana/ult because we would also gain more information.
Once again... let me state I think the information is useful, don't feel like you need to convince me. Presenting it clearly and having people be able to notice it is harder. Sure I could fix the problem for you with one of these proposed solutions, but I would rather see something that communicated to a larger number of players. The team sidebar is not a great space to present more information right now, we'd like to make it so in the future, but I can't promise you anything concrete right now.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KevinDelMarr

Senior Member

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Once again... let me state I think the information is useful, don't feel like you need to convince me. Presenting it clearly and having people be able to notice it is harder. Sure I could fix the problem for you with one of these proposed solutions, but I would rather see something that communicated to a larger number of players. The team sidebar is not a great space to present more information right now, we'd like to make it so in the future, but I can't promise you anything concrete right now.
Couldn't one possibility be to have two dots below the green one? Color coded to try and match the summoner spell color? Or tiny squares that are miniature summoner spell squares? There are several small additions I can see being made, not saying you haven't thought of them, but some sort of indicator could be beneficial. Also It took me about 9 months to know what the green dot was for, so more dots would simply go with learning what the current grren one. I frequently would like to know what my allies have, but since I can't type quickly and efficently I don't have much choice. This isn't a priority, but to not have a feature like this ever seems a bit silly.


123