Let me teach you to support

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Prof Longfellow

12-12-2012

I'm pretty new -- I've been playing about a month or so. Every single champ I tried was dying ALL THE TIME. Then I started playing supports (mainly Soraka, Sona, and Janna so far) and my death rate dropped way down.

I think the reason is that since I know I'm squishy, I play more cautiously. When I was playing melee characters I was too eager to jump into a fight and kept getting ganked. Support has taught me to hang back and keep my escape routes open.

brandominate

12-12-2012

very carefully

Blue Scarlet

12-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliyaMoroumetz View Post
Mind if I give a counterpoint? Bear in mind, I'm a new player, started a few weeks ago, (Currently, Level 11) So, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong for having an incorrect mindset.

So, I feel helpless. Leona, whom I play primarily, does not, in any way, bring to mind the term 'tank', when I'm the one that usually dies first, because I have no gear that helps me soak up the damage since my ADCs are the ones getting the cash in the first place.

Sure, my stuns are nice and all, but they mean jacksquat when the enemy team goes for me first during a scuffle between the teams. After all, the ADCs have all the gear while I got diddly squat. Sure, I can get the Philosopher's Stone, but that's such a hefty investment early game that by the time I finally start getting gear, everyone else is already geared up the whazoo.

What? Am I just supposed to get wards and call out mia? I can do that as Sona, for crying out loud.

Help me out, here.

Leona is my main support and I love using her.

Back In Season 2
what I do is build My Sunfire Cape to help give some damage and armor, it also gives a small chunk of Health which you'll find useful. Then I go for the Abyssal Scepter which helps my the AP users of my team to deal damage and gives me magic resist along with AP. The rest of my money goes to wards I don't really buy Shurelya until I get those 2 items first and I buy solari locket because of HoE and also because most games I don't have enough money to get Omens. The thing with leona is that you should build tanky but not too extreme like mundo with FoN,Warmogs, and ****. Just enough to substain.

Season 3

With the new masteries and items Not much change for leona. At first with HoG gone it actually ruined my whole leona plan but there are many more items that helps make leona much more appealing that how I was before even though she was already in the spot light.
Samething as before just build tanky enough to substain fights. My Main items are Twin Shadows which gives AP and MR with a neat active which slows 2 enemys and that sheild after Agis ( I don't know the name but I just call it that gold sheild ) surprisingly this item is very cheap and I can buy shurelya because of this cheap build. Therefore I'am tanky and beafy enough to hurt and protect people.

Summary of my builds

If your having problems finding what to build, just build to adapt. That's what I usually do. I don't really follow my basic build so adapt to the situation.

Now lets talk about dying first

In teamfights Its okay for you to die first, ever heard the phrase during games. "Don't focus on the tanks?" You just gave the prefect opportunity for your team to kill. Now if your ADC is retarded now then.... You make the judgement whether to save em and succeed or die trying giving a double kill.

Warding Your using Leona who is considered as a good support. The keyword here is support so it's your duty to buy the dam wards like all other supports. Even alistar, taric, zyra, and blitzcrank who are some OP supports have to get wards. Leona is no different so do your role.

Small Brief of Leona
Leona is a great for starting fights because of her passive which ALL adc players should know when laning with a Leona because her passive helps give allys a bonus magic boost. She may not able too heal her ADC but it makes up for protecting them before the damage happens because of her stuns which becomes annoying when facing a really good Leona user. Sure Stunning is easy just use it on the dam person but actually you must time it right as Leona's Q resets her attack swing giving you some free basic attack damage. Leona's E also stuns enemies too for a small amount of time but it can stun more than one enemy for less than a second if you line it up correctly. Leona's ULT is great to disrupts enemies for my point of view as it has a long range, decent short cooldown to be used in every teamfight, gives vision for some time, and slows or even stuns if you target the enemy in the middle. She is naturally tanky from the beginning and to the end so you should build her off her true strength. Be sure to max out her W first before anything else and balance out between her Q and E depending on the situation.

Well IliyaMoroumetz,
I hope if this sum right up for you. If you wish add my in the game and I can show you how I play Leona in a match. Also soon I'll set up some replays on youtube of how to support which I may post another time and thread. If anymore questions please ask.

Blue Scarlet

12-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Longfellow View Post
I'm pretty new -- I've been playing about a month or so. Every single champ I tried was dying ALL THE TIME. Then I started playing supports (mainly Soraka, Sona, and Janna so far) and my death rate dropped way down.

I think the reason is that since I know I'm squishy, I play more cautiously. When I was playing melee characters I was too eager to jump into a fight and kept getting ganked. Support has taught me to hang back and keep my escape routes open.
First things first WELCOME to the game.
I'm glad that playing support has taught you something.
If you wish add me in the game and I'll be glad to help/play with you and you can give me a chance to show me your skill.

Blue Scarlet

12-14-2012

Bumps

Shadogi

12-14-2012

Sightstone OP, no need to buy wards past the opening.

Blue Scarlet

12-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadogi View Post
Sightstone OP, no need to buy wards past the opening.
Personally I don't like Sightstones, your limit to a certain amount of ward coverage when you deploy them but their Health bonus is a good factor for the item. I don't really recommend them much to other support players because I like having vision on my enemy's movements. Although if you feel comfortable with the sightstones use them.Folks Shouldn't really follow guides 100% because it doesn't allow you to adapt different situations.

Blue Scarlet

12-16-2012

meow

Prof Longfellow

12-16-2012

Quick question: I know now that, if I'm supporting an ADC in bot, I should avoid farming any minions. But even when I just stand there, it looks as if my auto-attack is going off without any input from me, and sometimes I'm getting last hits. The only way to avoid this is to constantly click on unoccupied bits of map and run around in circles, which is pretty hard and destroys my map awareness. Should I be doing this, or are occasional auto attack kills ok, or is there some way of turning auto attacking off?

ZQKES

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2012

By pressing the button S when ingame your character will not perform any autoattacks but will rather just stand there and do nothing, even when hit.