From Hero to Champion (DotA-to-LoL)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zeta

07-27-2009

Quote:
I think Wendigo is a neat concept, but I want to point out one thing. If his skin walk ability makes his first two abilities unusable, then why bother getting the first two abilities (or otherwise, why bother getting skin walk?).
He's supposed to be a versatile hybrid caster/tank that can switch between either as needed depending on how you build him in game (pure tank, pure caster, or a jack of two trades master of neither), because that's the fantasy RPG druid mechanic (and the one I'd like to see in a Champion). I'd be willing to tweak anything on him either way to make the ranged caster/melee tank both equally attractive but not overpowered.

Faro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-27-2009

I just disagree with the idea of importing heroes over from Dota. Yah, you can't really avoid having zero abilities that mesh up, but Riot has done an amazing job in dealing with unique heroes and abilities we haven't seen in Dota. Not saying I'd stop playing if it happens, just saying they'd lose some of the imense respect I've grown to have for this company in my 10 days in this beta.

Removable Disk F

07-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Syllabear is harder. All I kept for him was the basic concept, really.

Syllabear the Lone Druid Conversion into Wendigo the Skin Walker

Suggested Name: Wendigo, as in the mythical beast.

Title: The Skin Walker

Lore Rewrite: Wendigo is an elemental spirit of nature that is feral and wild in his natural state but was trained by the spirits of the forest to take on a humanoid form to master magic and interact with humanoids to better defend his forest.
I do like the idea of a Wendigo, however, Wendigos and "skin-walkers" are not the same thing. According to legend, a Wendigo was born when a person became a cannibal and began hungering for more human flesh. Skin-walkers were people of myth who could shapeshift into animals and stuff, which is more like the character you described. I could however see the mechanics of either being very interesting, for example, the Wendigo character may not have access to his ult until he kills another champion and feasts on their flesh. The skinwalker would just be plain badass, (I imagine he'd turn into a bear, as to not step on Warwick's shoes), he could wear an animal hide when not in "animal form" or something like skinwalkers were said to have done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faro View Post
I just disagree with the idea of importing heroes over from Dota. Yah, you can't really avoid having zero abilities that mesh up, but Riot has done an amazing job in dealing with unique heroes and abilities we haven't seen in Dota. Not saying I'd stop playing if it happens, just saying they'd lose some of the imense respect I've grown to have for this company in my 10 days in this beta.
I also agree that having unique characters with brand new abilities is the most important thing the design team should focus on. Making LoL unique and clearly seperate from DotA is something they should strive for. This isn't HoN, the devs here are not re-doing something old, they're building something new, fresh and innovative.

Zeta

07-27-2009

Quote:
I do like the idea of a Wendigo, however, Wendigos and "skin-walkers" are not the same thing. According to legend, a Wendigo was born when a person became a cannibal and began hungering for more human flesh. Skin-walkers were people of myth who could shapeshift into animals and stuff, which is more like the character you described. I could however see the mechanics of either being very interesting, for example, the Wendigo character may not have access to his ult until he kills another champion and feasts on their flesh. The skinwalker would just be plain badass, (I imagine he'd turn into a bear, as to not step on Warwick's shoes), he could wear an animal hide when not in "animal form" or something like skinwalkers were said to have done.
Yeah, they could be separate, however I didn't want to include another bear in case the Volisbear thing ever actually came true. So I just made the beast form a wendigo - a man animal with a bunch of different features. I could see either being split off into their own champion, depending on if Volisbear is actually included. I really just want a druid-type character that can shift between OK caster and OK melee tank.

Quote:
I also agree that having unique characters with brand new abilities is the most important thing the design team should focus on. Making LoL unique and clearly seperate from DotA is something they should strive for. This isn't HoN, the devs here are not re-doing something old, they're building something new, fresh and innovative.
I'd prefer a mix. Ashe, Tristana, and Annie are all more or less adaptations of DoTA heroes adapted to LoL. I don't think they should just do a direct copy, but I'd definitely like it if 1 out of every 2 or 3 heroes was heavily inspired from DoTA's best. Even with direct copies, the fact that LoL champs have 5 abilities instead of DoTa or HoN's 4 already gives them a lot of room to rework the characters in new ways the others cannot.

Quep

07-27-2009

Quote:
I'd prefer a mix. Ashe, Tristana, and Annie are all more or less adaptations of DoTA heroes adapted to LoL. I don't think they should just do a direct copy, but I'd definitely like it if 1 out of every 2 or 3 heroes was heavily inspired from DoTA's best. Even with direct copies, the fact that LoL champs have 5 abilities instead of DoTa or HoN's 4 already gives them a lot of room to rework the characters in new ways the others cannot.
I agree totally, the Four spells and the passive add a new level to AoS games. Not to mention all the mechanics! i mean, yeah its simple, no str,int,agi rather Tank, Caster, Assassin dealies. but most of all, after all the balances of course, you really have to understand each hero to create a great team thatll win, instead of all aim in diffrent directions and hope for the best. Back on track now, Dota Heroes, When transfered over from hero to champion, will end up entirely different and even have a diffrent play style than before. For example my pudge remake would have to rely heavily on getting last hits, as a requirement causing a more aggresive pudge rather then submissive sit back and wait pudge.

anyway, techies remake is on the way!

Teran

07-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanius View Post
You can control Tibbers by holding alt.
Quoted in case he missed this the first time.

You can control Tibbers by holding down the alt key.

What hero is Tristana's equivilent in dota? I played it some but am not a master of the game but I don't recall any heroes with a similar skill set.

Zeta

07-28-2009

Quote:
What hero is Tristana's equivilent in dota? I played it some but am not a master of the game but I don't recall any heroes with a similar skill set.
Kardel Sharpeye the Dwarven Sniper. But they switched Take Aim/Draw a Bead for Rocket Jump, eventually.

Quep

07-28-2009

the only thing similar in trist and kardel is the ulti, all of trists skills however are from dota, with exception of rocket jump which is kinda like PoTMs leap with a damage effect added. Her attack speed spell is seen in multiple heroes and her explosion on death is taken from Sand King.

Its Techies turn to get a remake!! So i read the forums a lot and notice, A lot of people want a Engineer type skill, while i feel this is good i also would like a trapper type hero Like techies aswell, so i feel i can combo this together and make:

Ratchet - The Bantam Technician

Synopsis - Ratchet is the Lead demolitions expert for the Bantam city scouts, and lead advisor for the Bantam technicians group.

Stats:
Health |||||-----
Attack |||-------
Spells |||||||---
Difficulty ||||||----

Lookslike - The same thng that teemo is, Goggles on, some sort of Techies jacket and carries around A rachet as a weapon and explosives in a backpack.

Skills:

(Q)Bouncing Bantam Mine: Rachet Places a Bouncing Bantam mine at target location, the mine becomes ivisable after 1.5 seconds. When a enemy unit runs within 200 units of the mine, it sets it off. The mine jumps out of hiding towards the unit who set it off exploding on impact, if unit can outrun the mine, the mine will settle and return to invisability.

(W)Bantam Special Grenade: Ratchet throws one of his Special grenades into target location, when the grenade lands it throws tiny shrapnel pieces into the area hitting random foes. Shrapnel Damages enemies and impares their movement for a short time.

(E)Mana Diffuser: Ratchet Constructs a Mana diffusing structure that diffuses mana in the area. Mana diffusion accurs when any unit casts a mana consuming spell. The Diffuser will capture the mana, diffuse it into the area replenishing Freindlies mana and dammaging Enemies lifepoints based off a ratio of mana > dammage spread evenly.

(R, Ultimate)Bantam Siege Tank: Ratchet Constructs a Bantam siege tank for him to ride in, Being limited to parts, Rachet can only construct a tank that lasts momentarily before breaking down and self destructing. While in siege tank mode, rachet has a ranged attack, Heavily increased dammage, and a slower attack speed. When the tanks timed life comes to an end rachet hops out of the tank, then the tank explodes dealing Heavy dammage in a small area. Construction time All levels is 3

(Passive) Expertise- Ratchet prides him self on learning more about his abilities. Every time Ratchet Uses a skill it improves it slightly, Stacks Five times

Skill Stats:
Bouncing Bantam Mine - Trip Range 200,225,250,275,300 Mine Dammage 100,150,200,250,300

Bantam Special Grenade - Dammage per shrapnel 50,75,100,125,150 Slow per Shrapnel 5%,10%,15%,20% (Max 80%) for 1.5 Seconds Releases 10 Shrapnels All levels

Mana Diffuser - Construction Time 5/4.5/3/3.5/2 (Diffusion Explanation - If a spell cost 100 mana, it will restore at 1x, 1 point of mana per mana spent for spell divided evenly to all allies in area, and Dammage all enemies 1 dammage per mana spent divided evenly.) Mana Ratio 1x/1.5x/2x/2.5x/3 Area of effect 200/300/400/500/600

Bantam siege tank - Dammage Per Level +60/+120/+180 Attack speed reduc per level 35%/25%/15% Self Destruct Dammage 250/350/450 (does Half to towers)

Passive Upgrades
Bouncing Bantam Mine - Increses Range by 20 units, Max 100 Increases Dammage by 10, Max 50

Bantam Special Grenade - Increases Ammount of Shrapnel by 2 Max 10 (Note:Not all Shrapnel will hit, even if unit is alone, Shrapnel spreads randomly)

Mana Diffuser - Reduces Construction time by .25, Max 1.25, Increases Aoe by 25 max 125

Bantam Siege Tank - Reduces Construction Time by .25, Max 1.25 Increase dammage by 10, Max 50, Reduces Slow attack by 1% max 5%

-fin-

Just kinda through together some numbers, nothing for me to set, i dont know how balanced it all is, i guess all changeable

Quep

08-03-2009

new remake pending ......

Razzle Dazzle

Adjudicator

08-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
(W) Call of the Wild - Places a magical mark upon himself or an ally that increases movement speed and attack
isint this blood boil?