Overcoming insta-locks

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WtaB l PetEater

12-11-2012

So i know its not the perfect solution but the last 3-5 games (and of course this an ungoing issue) i have had there has been instalockers after the lanes/role they want get called early and then refuse to communicate. I would also like to say in this preface that i am aware people can be reported for this, but honestly if there are level 30s with 400+ wins doing this, i have my doubts its taken seriously and the only solution players really have is to either let that player have their way or leave and receive the penalty.

So my suggestion is why isnt there some type of sign up system for the role/lane you want. Something similar to the WoW dungeon finder (im sure alot of us are familiar with) where you select i will either do for instance bot adc, or mid (and perhaps second preference to speed up queues). The system should be smart enough to not pile together 5 ad champs or vice versa.

There are two problems i see with this system as its only a suggestion.

1. Wait time increase however considering the average queue atm is about 20 secs, i believe summoners will take up to a 2 min wait to know that they will have a good team makeup.

2. It doesnt allow for abstract team makeups- I know Solo top, jungler, mid, adc and support bot isnt even close to the only makeup but i think its at least a good place to start and perhaps there could be queues for those who wish to try different makeups ie duo top aswell. I think its more preferable to limit the variety of makeups than to go into a game where three stubborn players all lock in a mind toon and refuse to move (im sure we have all experienced similar situations).

So that is my suggestion, keen to here some feedback on it as im aware its not perfect but really something has to be done.

mnun

12-11-2012

Just get over it and pick a new role/champ. It sucks, but it's your job to choose something else

WtaB l PetEater

12-11-2012

That overcomes the issue.

adc

12-11-2012

This has been suggested repeatedly. The answer is no. Change who you're playing or dodge.

ByePas

12-11-2012

The suggestion of selecting your role before you queue has been done to death already and it's already been said that it wouldn't work because you would have people who pick a role and pick someone else entirely (e.g. Pick support role and pick ezreal). If you were to make it so a person had to pick someone who fills that role the problem becomes who is considered that role and will take away innovation, and such a system will suffer if the meta were to make a large change.

cauliflower

12-11-2012

I don't have fun playing support. If I need to support in a ranked game, I'll be more than happy to. However, I play normal games purely in the interest of fun. If I commit to playing a normal game I won't have fun with, the whole purpose is defeated. No one likes playing supports. If I don't lock in within 5 seconds of blind pick, I am almost always left with support. What do I do? Play a game I know will be boring for me?

DArKWiNDNiNJa

12-12-2012

i really dont think this is a bad idea if done right for normal games. if done right... there would have to be 2 types of queues. 1 where people get to choose before hand, and another where u dont choose before hand... and those 2 groups would never get into the same game. secondly it couldn't work like WoW dungeon finder in regards to choosing more than 1 role at a time, because there could be real complications being that the computer doesn't select what role ur playing for you by itself, so you should only be able to choose 1 role.... unless it writes (SUPPORT) next to your name once you enter the champion select screen. Finally, there would need to be a pretext that support means u are going to not CS (much), build support items, and buy wards. If this is not done after choosing support, it should be a bannable offense, or else people would abuse/troll or and choose support for short queue times (even though they could get a short queue time by not choosing any role and going into the other queue). But people would have to keep an open mind as to what being a support means, or the meta will never change.

PS: to say no one likes to play support, its not true. when i have a game with a bad support in it that doesnt know how to wards and we lose the game because of it, i generally feel like playing support so dont discount an idea by saying "no one likes to play support anyhow so why would they put this feature in"

first time Vayne

12-12-2012

No. Riot will not lock the meta in place like this. The goal here should not be to set up some system to freeze out instalocking like this, but to change the general mentality of players such that they would rather work with the team than instalock.

In the meantime, you'll have to suck it up and deal with the instalockers like the rest of us.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

12-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD Bottom View Post
This has been suggested repeatedly. The answer is no. Change who you're playing or dodge.
Repeatedly is an understatement.

All those threads talking about role-queuing.

Slashinghardest

12-12-2012

The game is about communication and teamwork. You can work around an instalocker, if you decide not to and lock in what you called its yot fault.