Is it perfectly ok to build a support without using (many) of the new items?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MeltedWater

12-09-2012

I play support Alistar a lot, and I don't really use Heart of Gold for gold (in fact, it's nice that getting 2 cloth armor now upgrades into Warden's Mail. Cheaper that way in the early game). And I realize I can't use FoN, I can replace it with the regretably more expensive Runic Bulwark. i get that. And that helps my party more, I suppose. I can upgrade my boots with Alacrity to offset the lack of FoN's speed bonus (I find the Commander or whatever seems useless), and I've accepted they don't want us to have health regen anymore. lol But Runic Bulwark aside, can I get by without any other new items? Can I treat Mikael's Crucible as I treated AUG; something to get if I'm overly fed, but nothing more? Can I ignore Shard of True Ice unless, maybe, I got a Mana Manipulator? What are your thoguhts and opinions on building using almost all OLD items? Oh, also, I've pretty much decided I'm not using the goofy ward-creator-items. 2 at a time? Not even worth it.

Suijinheki

12-09-2012

In response to the title:
I've chatted with a good friend of mine who mains support at 2k right now and I'm a support main myself: we both find most of the new items pretty much useless for support. Mikael's crucible is fine and however in general using the old builds still seems to be more effective was the conclusion we arrived at, particularly with the ward slot items: you pretty should not have 700g in your inventory at once if you're actually playing a well played support vs. competent opponents unless its late enough in the game to start completing your first big core item like a zekes herald. At this point in time sightstone isnt even worth it. You need upfront vision and working on your items because you should have 3-5 wards (mix some pink+standard) in your inventory when you leave shop during laning and at least 3 really in general. That item costs effectively 825 for you to itemize in order to maintain the 3 wards with at least 1 pink.
Remember: Your job as a support is foremost to provide map control/information to your team through wards and enhancing your allies (auras) and peel for the carries.

Tl;Dr: Most of the new items are really not useful for supports. Actually sightstone will probably weaken your laning because of the upfront cost and cost you more later via your weakening of laning presence+delaying gp10/first aura item.

MeltedWater

12-10-2012

I figured the ward items were useless. I'm just trying to justify not using Shard of True Ice, and treating Mikael's Crucible like simply a luxury item if I get a complete build.

IdleAltruism

12-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltedWater View Post
I figured the ward items were useless. I'm just trying to justify not using Shard of True Ice, and treating Mikael's Crucible like simply a luxury item if I get a complete build.
The Sightstone and its upgrade are amazing. From what I've seen from essentially all tournament and high level play(Europe, Korea, NA) they're being picked up as the support's second item in lieu of another GP/10, with a Kage's acting as a 3rd GP/10 item. It easily pays for itself and gives flat health. There is no reason not to get it.

The other support items seem very meh, for the most part. If you're excessively rich the Runic Bulwark and Mikael's are solid pickups. If not, Shurelia's and Iron Locket are still strong pick for your run-of-the-mill supports. The AP "support" items are pure luxury.

TFFoS

12-10-2012

Actually in high level play, many people will skip philo stone and go straight for their ruby sightstone as their first cost-efficiency item. It is that good.